- 6,336 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: In a hamster cage, Seattle
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD 2 vs HE 500 which one has the more haunting beautiful lush mids? Last post on 4/26/14 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV,... - Page 4post #46 of 1279/22/11 at 3:41pmYeah, that was the spare cable from my HE 5LE phones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 1279/22/11 at 4:54pmpost #48 of 1279/22/11 at 6:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by smeggy
The cable isn't replaceable as the cups don't have enough room inside for connectors and it's also a lot more work, so at this stage, no. The weight varies with wood type but I've been working at lowering the weight. They're not lightweight phones as the drivers themselves are pretty heavy, add wood and fittings and it adds up. The comfort is still very good because of good weight distribution.
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.post #49 of 1279/22/11 at 6:12pm
People who need a closed headphone should definitely consider the Thunderpants. I don't really like closed headphones, the only two I think are good are the Stax 4070 and the Thunderpants. Plus, Smeggy is the man :)post #50 of 1279/22/11 at 7:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jalo
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.
This type of request is outside the realms of the group buy discount, even if ordered normally this would be an extra cost thing, same as with expensive woods, they are things that add to the cost of the phones because of extra expense and time on my side. Also, speaking personally, swappable cables rarely seem like a good thing simply because you are replacing a wire-solder-driver system with wire-solder-connector-solder-flying lead-solder-driver system. No matter what wire you use at the front end, it will still be a degradation from a direct connect system simply because of all the junk at the back end the signal has to contend with. More connectors and joints than necessary in the signal path is never good and I've never understood why people think it's ok to do it with 'phones... but I digress. I guess for me it doesn't make sense from an electrical standpoint. Then again, I've never been noted for my brains
Anyway, the wire can be replaced but not easily as I fix them in place with CA glue to ensure they are strongly held in place. The drivers solder pads are very delicate and don't tolerate much pulling before they pop clean off the circuit board, so I try to ensure that the wires cannot move or rotate at the cup entry. It's a pita but the only way I can ensure they don't destroy the phones if the cables get yanked of twisted. I'm generally aiming for resilience based on how rough I am with my own phones.
If you can remind me at the time, I'll see if I can rig up an easier way to replace the cable for you that doesn't endanger the drivers.post #51 of 1279/22/11 at 7:47pmQuote:
By flying lead-solder-driver, do you mean the type of connection you'd make to have a single entry cable?post #52 of 1279/22/11 at 8:15pmQuote:
No, referring to the standard cup connector types. Any cup with a connector will have small flying leads to the drivers. Many phones have them like the HE's Audeze, Fostex, Sennheiser etc. Now, I'm not saying I know better, just that to me it seems like less joints/connectors is better than more where a signal is concerned. For pro use, replaceable cables are a necessity, for domestic use, less so.post #53 of 1279/22/11 at 8:43pm
Very cool. I think it's a little unfair to compare these to the best open back headphones on the market, because they are closed and so they're subjected to different limitations. But great episode!post #54 of 1279/22/11 at 8:54pmpost #55 of 1279/22/11 at 9:19pmpost #56 of 1279/22/11 at 9:30pm
^ ditto. I don't know what direction the TP2 would go if there were to be one, since the various open style models that have been experimented with around here "reportedly" haven't been to stellar.
Exciting stuff to see these take off <-- I wanted to insert a thunderpants smiley but it seems we don't have such an image... hmmm
woo for 500th post in 4 years! haha im such a gomer...
Mpost #57 of 1279/22/11 at 9:49pmTP2 ?!?!?!?
I'm still trying to perfect the TP1
Yeah, I'd love to do an open phone but I think I'd need a different driver to work with. I don't believe I'll ever get the Fostex driver to sound how I want in the open.post #58 of 1279/22/11 at 10:18pm
Dude, I have filled in the form - but my alias is mispelt on the list in this thread - my alias is googleli not googeli.
As I have said in the form, I hope there won't be any compromise due to the discount - if there will be any compromise, let me know and I am happy to order at the full price.
Many thanks!!post #59 of 1279/22/11 at 10:28pmpost #60 of 1279/22/11 at 10:31pmQuote:
Sorry about that. I had just seen zoolander.
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 1 second ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 24 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 57 seconds ago
- › Which one to buy Sennheiser HD 429 or HD 205? 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or DT770 Pro? 3 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3