- 6,336 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: In a hamster cage, Seattle
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD 2 vs HE 500 which one has the more haunting beautiful lush mids? Last post on 4/26/14 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012 - Page 4post #46 of 1279/22/11 at 3:41pmYeah, that was the spare cable from my HE 5LE phones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 1279/22/11 at 4:54pmpost #48 of 1279/22/11 at 6:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by smeggy
The cable isn't replaceable as the cups don't have enough room inside for connectors and it's also a lot more work, so at this stage, no. The weight varies with wood type but I've been working at lowering the weight. They're not lightweight phones as the drivers themselves are pretty heavy, add wood and fittings and it adds up. The comfort is still very good because of good weight distribution.
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.post #49 of 1279/22/11 at 6:12pm
People who need a closed headphone should definitely consider the Thunderpants. I don't really like closed headphones, the only two I think are good are the Stax 4070 and the Thunderpants. Plus, Smeggy is the man :)post #50 of 1279/22/11 at 7:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jalo
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.
This type of request is outside the realms of the group buy discount, even if ordered normally this would be an extra cost thing, same as with expensive woods, they are things that add to the cost of the phones because of extra expense and time on my side. Also, speaking personally, swappable cables rarely seem like a good thing simply because you are replacing a wire-solder-driver system with wire-solder-connector-solder-flying lead-solder-driver system. No matter what wire you use at the front end, it will still be a degradation from a direct connect system simply because of all the junk at the back end the signal has to contend with. More connectors and joints than necessary in the signal path is never good and I've never understood why people think it's ok to do it with 'phones... but I digress. I guess for me it doesn't make sense from an electrical standpoint. Then again, I've never been noted for my brains
Anyway, the wire can be replaced but not easily as I fix them in place with CA glue to ensure they are strongly held in place. The drivers solder pads are very delicate and don't tolerate much pulling before they pop clean off the circuit board, so I try to ensure that the wires cannot move or rotate at the cup entry. It's a pita but the only way I can ensure they don't destroy the phones if the cables get yanked of twisted. I'm generally aiming for resilience based on how rough I am with my own phones.
If you can remind me at the time, I'll see if I can rig up an easier way to replace the cable for you that doesn't endanger the drivers.post #51 of 1279/22/11 at 7:47pmQuote:
By flying lead-solder-driver, do you mean the type of connection you'd make to have a single entry cable?post #52 of 1279/22/11 at 8:15pmQuote:
No, referring to the standard cup connector types. Any cup with a connector will have small flying leads to the drivers. Many phones have them like the HE's Audeze, Fostex, Sennheiser etc. Now, I'm not saying I know better, just that to me it seems like less joints/connectors is better than more where a signal is concerned. For pro use, replaceable cables are a necessity, for domestic use, less so.post #53 of 1279/22/11 at 8:43pm
Very cool. I think it's a little unfair to compare these to the best open back headphones on the market, because they are closed and so they're subjected to different limitations. But great episode!post #54 of 1279/22/11 at 8:54pmpost #55 of 1279/22/11 at 9:19pmpost #56 of 1279/22/11 at 9:30pm
^ ditto. I don't know what direction the TP2 would go if there were to be one, since the various open style models that have been experimented with around here "reportedly" haven't been to stellar.
Exciting stuff to see these take off <-- I wanted to insert a thunderpants smiley but it seems we don't have such an image... hmmm
woo for 500th post in 4 years! haha im such a gomer...
Mpost #57 of 1279/22/11 at 9:49pmTP2 ?!?!?!?
I'm still trying to perfect the TP1
Yeah, I'd love to do an open phone but I think I'd need a different driver to work with. I don't believe I'll ever get the Fostex driver to sound how I want in the open.post #58 of 1279/22/11 at 10:18pm
Dude, I have filled in the form - but my alias is mispelt on the list in this thread - my alias is googleli not googeli.
As I have said in the form, I hope there won't be any compromise due to the discount - if there will be any compromise, let me know and I am happy to order at the full price.
Many thanks!!post #59 of 1279/22/11 at 10:28pmpost #60 of 1279/22/11 at 10:31pmQuote:
Sorry about that. I had just seen zoolander.
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 58 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 1 minute ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 7 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 7 minutes ago
- › Rampage V Edition 10 Audio or Creative X7? 8 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 9 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...