- 6,336 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: In a hamster cage, Seattle
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD 2 vs HE 500 which one has the more haunting beautiful lush mids? Last post on 4/26/14 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
It is nearing two months since I was introduced to the original Monk earbuds by Venture Electronics. They left quite the impression on me and my views on price-to-performance ratio in audio...
T-PEOS RASIEL Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to T-PEOS for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/807332/t-peos-rasiel-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Finder X1...
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012 - Page 4post #46 of 1279/22/11 at 3:41pmYeah, that was the spare cable from my HE 5LE phones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 1279/22/11 at 4:54pmpost #48 of 1279/22/11 at 6:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by smeggy
The cable isn't replaceable as the cups don't have enough room inside for connectors and it's also a lot more work, so at this stage, no. The weight varies with wood type but I've been working at lowering the weight. They're not lightweight phones as the drivers themselves are pretty heavy, add wood and fittings and it adds up. The comfort is still very good because of good weight distribution.
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.post #49 of 1279/22/11 at 6:12pm
People who need a closed headphone should definitely consider the Thunderpants. I don't really like closed headphones, the only two I think are good are the Stax 4070 and the Thunderpants. Plus, Smeggy is the man :)post #50 of 1279/22/11 at 7:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jalo
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors. That way, we can use out own nice cables. Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling? Just hoping.
This type of request is outside the realms of the group buy discount, even if ordered normally this would be an extra cost thing, same as with expensive woods, they are things that add to the cost of the phones because of extra expense and time on my side. Also, speaking personally, swappable cables rarely seem like a good thing simply because you are replacing a wire-solder-driver system with wire-solder-connector-solder-flying lead-solder-driver system. No matter what wire you use at the front end, it will still be a degradation from a direct connect system simply because of all the junk at the back end the signal has to contend with. More connectors and joints than necessary in the signal path is never good and I've never understood why people think it's ok to do it with 'phones... but I digress. I guess for me it doesn't make sense from an electrical standpoint. Then again, I've never been noted for my brains
Anyway, the wire can be replaced but not easily as I fix them in place with CA glue to ensure they are strongly held in place. The drivers solder pads are very delicate and don't tolerate much pulling before they pop clean off the circuit board, so I try to ensure that the wires cannot move or rotate at the cup entry. It's a pita but the only way I can ensure they don't destroy the phones if the cables get yanked of twisted. I'm generally aiming for resilience based on how rough I am with my own phones.
If you can remind me at the time, I'll see if I can rig up an easier way to replace the cable for you that doesn't endanger the drivers.post #51 of 1279/22/11 at 7:47pmQuote:
By flying lead-solder-driver, do you mean the type of connection you'd make to have a single entry cable?post #52 of 1279/22/11 at 8:15pmQuote:
No, referring to the standard cup connector types. Any cup with a connector will have small flying leads to the drivers. Many phones have them like the HE's Audeze, Fostex, Sennheiser etc. Now, I'm not saying I know better, just that to me it seems like less joints/connectors is better than more where a signal is concerned. For pro use, replaceable cables are a necessity, for domestic use, less so.post #53 of 1279/22/11 at 8:43pm
Very cool. I think it's a little unfair to compare these to the best open back headphones on the market, because they are closed and so they're subjected to different limitations. But great episode!post #54 of 1279/22/11 at 8:54pmpost #55 of 1279/22/11 at 9:19pmpost #56 of 1279/22/11 at 9:30pm
^ ditto. I don't know what direction the TP2 would go if there were to be one, since the various open style models that have been experimented with around here "reportedly" haven't been to stellar.
Exciting stuff to see these take off <-- I wanted to insert a thunderpants smiley but it seems we don't have such an image... hmmm
woo for 500th post in 4 years! haha im such a gomer...
Mpost #57 of 1279/22/11 at 9:49pmTP2 ?!?!?!?
I'm still trying to perfect the TP1
Yeah, I'd love to do an open phone but I think I'd need a different driver to work with. I don't believe I'll ever get the Fostex driver to sound how I want in the open.post #58 of 1279/22/11 at 10:18pm
Dude, I have filled in the form - but my alias is mispelt on the list in this thread - my alias is googleli not googeli.
As I have said in the form, I hope there won't be any compromise due to the discount - if there will be any compromise, let me know and I am happy to order at the full price.
Many thanks!!post #59 of 1279/22/11 at 10:28pmpost #60 of 1279/22/11 at 10:31pmQuote:
Sorry about that. I had just seen zoolander.
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 53 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by Aornic
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by mark2410
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...