So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured? Nice. Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants... Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet? I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD 2 vs HE 500 which one has the more haunting beautiful lush mids? Last post on 4/26/14 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. when you...
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012 - Page 2post #16 of 1279/21/11 at 3:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1279/21/11 at 3:27pmThe most beautiful cans IMO. I must own a pair. When I finish playing around with my own T50RP modding one of my sets will go to Smeggy to be Thunderized.
edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy
Edited by Draygonn - 9/22/11 at 5:43ampost #18 of 1279/21/11 at 3:49pm
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.post #19 of 1279/21/11 at 5:24pm
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.post #20 of 1279/21/11 at 6:00pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough. I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard. As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.
I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.
Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.
I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product. I can't wait.
Wow! When did you get your kit?
Has anyone else gotten one?post #21 of 1279/21/11 at 6:02pmpost #22 of 1279/21/11 at 6:27pmpost #23 of 1279/21/11 at 6:54pmpost #24 of 1279/21/11 at 7:00pmQuote:
substantial, that was pretty much the main message of this video and all the posts that followpost #25 of 1279/21/11 at 7:26pmpost #26 of 1279/21/11 at 7:32pmQuote:
here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buypost #27 of 1279/21/11 at 8:21pmpost #28 of 1279/21/11 at 9:28pmpost #29 of 1279/21/11 at 9:32pm
That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.
Turned into this:
Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke. I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.
Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.
Edited by Reticuli2 - 9/21/11 at 9:35pm
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 15 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 38 seconds ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iDAC2 launching with a bang! Competition with MEGA goodies. Gotta... 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo / Schiit Yggdrasil. Anyone heard both? 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)