So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured? Nice. Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants... Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet? I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I don't know which forum to post this, so here goes..... Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:33am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV,... - Page 2post #16 of 1279/21/11 at 3:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1279/21/11 at 3:27pmThe most beautiful cans IMO. I must own a pair. When I finish playing around with my own T50RP modding one of my sets will go to Smeggy to be Thunderized.
edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy
Edited by Draygonn - 9/22/11 at 5:43ampost #18 of 1279/21/11 at 3:49pm
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.post #19 of 1279/21/11 at 5:24pm
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.post #20 of 1279/21/11 at 6:00pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough. I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard. As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.
I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.
Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.
I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product. I can't wait.
Wow! When did you get your kit?
Has anyone else gotten one?post #21 of 1279/21/11 at 6:02pmpost #22 of 1279/21/11 at 6:27pmpost #23 of 1279/21/11 at 6:54pmpost #24 of 1279/21/11 at 7:00pmQuote:
substantial, that was pretty much the main message of this video and all the posts that followpost #25 of 1279/21/11 at 7:26pmpost #26 of 1279/21/11 at 7:32pmQuote:
here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buypost #27 of 1279/21/11 at 8:21pmpost #28 of 1279/21/11 at 9:28pmpost #29 of 1279/21/11 at 9:32pm
That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.
Turned into this:
Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke. I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.
Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.
Edited by Reticuli2 - 9/21/11 at 9:35pm
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Music Game IX 34 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 42 seconds ago
- › Mezzo Hifi - New AK120/AK100 Mods (WM8741 in software mode) 45 seconds ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › RSA Intruder in Black Balanced / SE Amplifier / DAC Headphone AMP... 4 minutes ago
- › ath m50x or beats solo2 ? 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)