So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured? Nice. Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants... Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet? I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I don't know which forum to post this, so here goes..... Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:33am in Headphones (full-size)
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV,... - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy
Edited by Draygonn - 9/22/11 at 5:43am
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough. I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard. As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.
I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.
Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.
I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product. I can't wait.
Wow! When did you get your kit?
Has anyone else gotten one?
substantial, that was pretty much the main message of this video and all the posts that follow
here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buy
That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.
Turned into this:
Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke. I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.
Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.
Edited by Reticuli2 - 9/21/11 at 9:35pm
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › headphones for the 55 and up crowd 24 seconds ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-06-30) 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 6 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 8 minutes ago
- › BRANDS OF PORTABLE SE AMPS NEEDED 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)