So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured? Nice. Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants... Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet? I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I don't know which forum to post this, so here goes..... Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:33am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV,... - Page 2post #16 of 1279/21/11 at 3:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1279/21/11 at 3:27pmThe most beautiful cans IMO. I must own a pair. When I finish playing around with my own T50RP modding one of my sets will go to Smeggy to be Thunderized.
edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy
Edited by Draygonn - 9/22/11 at 5:43ampost #18 of 1279/21/11 at 3:49pm
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.post #19 of 1279/21/11 at 5:24pm
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.post #20 of 1279/21/11 at 6:00pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough. I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard. As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.
I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.
Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.
I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product. I can't wait.
Wow! When did you get your kit?
Has anyone else gotten one?post #21 of 1279/21/11 at 6:02pmpost #22 of 1279/21/11 at 6:27pmpost #23 of 1279/21/11 at 6:54pmpost #24 of 1279/21/11 at 7:00pmQuote:
substantial, that was pretty much the main message of this video and all the posts that followpost #25 of 1279/21/11 at 7:26pmpost #26 of 1279/21/11 at 7:32pmQuote:
here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buypost #27 of 1279/21/11 at 8:21pmpost #28 of 1279/21/11 at 9:28pmpost #29 of 1279/21/11 at 9:32pm
That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.
Turned into this:
Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke. I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.
Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.
Edited by Reticuli2 - 9/21/11 at 9:35pm
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › dx50 or ipod classic with a amp 51 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - HiFiman visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.084! pg. 1 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 1 minute ago
- › Meier Audio Daccord 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review of soundmagic es10 , es18 , creative ep600 , cowon ce1 , jbl... 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Lear BD4.2 - impressions and appreciation thread. 4 Balanced... 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude