So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured? Nice. Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants... Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet? I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD 2 vs HE 500 which one has the more haunting beautiful lush mids? Last post on 4/26/14 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- good headphones for Little Dot Mk IV SE Last post on 11/20/13 at 2:13pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Yesterday
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV,... - Page 2post #16 of 1279/21/11 at 3:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1279/21/11 at 3:27pmThe most beautiful cans IMO. I must own a pair. When I finish playing around with my own T50RP modding one of my sets will go to Smeggy to be Thunderized.
edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy
Edited by Draygonn - 9/22/11 at 5:43ampost #18 of 1279/21/11 at 3:49pm
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.post #19 of 1279/21/11 at 5:24pm
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.post #20 of 1279/21/11 at 6:00pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough. I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard. As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.
I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.
Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.
I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product. I can't wait.
Wow! When did you get your kit?
Has anyone else gotten one?post #21 of 1279/21/11 at 6:02pmpost #22 of 1279/21/11 at 6:27pmpost #23 of 1279/21/11 at 6:54pmpost #24 of 1279/21/11 at 7:00pmQuote:
substantial, that was pretty much the main message of this video and all the posts that followpost #25 of 1279/21/11 at 7:26pmpost #26 of 1279/21/11 at 7:32pmQuote:
here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buypost #27 of 1279/21/11 at 8:21pmpost #28 of 1279/21/11 at 9:28pmpost #29 of 1279/21/11 at 9:32pm
That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.
Turned into this:
Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke. I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.
Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.
Edited by Reticuli2 - 9/21/11 at 9:35pm
- Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › No difference in sound when trying various amps??!?!?! 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for a headphone with deep bass and good speed 2 minutes ago
- › Panasonic SE-4708 "vintage-ish" radio loud static/blasting 5 minutes ago
- › Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 6 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)