OK guys, here's my problem:
- Once upon a time I found an amazing website who sold me SR-60s and SR-80s, with free shipping to New Zealand
- They don't anymore.
- A while back I bought SR-225s, and sold the 60s and 80s.
- Now I want my 60s back :(
I kept the 225s mainly because they were more valuable. The 80s weren't really any better than the 60s, so they lost out too. The 225s are amazingly detailed and sparkly, but I'm just finding them really tinny compared to my HD600s, even with un-QM'd 414 pads.
I seem to remember my SR-60s as being more full - warmer, bassier, more fun, less fatiguing etc, even with the same pads. However they definitely lacked refinement in the treble and :, and seemed 'clipped' or I guess 'honky' a little.
Now I find myself wanting the 60s back. But without cheap shipping to New Zealand they're up against the MS-1s in the cost prospect (and probably slightly more expensive). I've read hundreds of posts around here comparing the three, but I still can't answer these questions properly:
With the same pads,
- What is the relative bass quantity (MS-1, 60, 225)?
- Do the MS-1s sound 'clipped' in the treble like the 60s do, or are they nice and open/free/effortless/honkless like the 225s are?
- What is the relative sparkly/airiness of the three?
- What is the relative 'fullness' of the sound (I define fullness as warmth + richness of the sound - i.e. the opposite of tinny-ness?)
The other thing I'm vaguely considering is swapping my 580s/600s and 225s for a pair of MS-Pros. But I love the 600's soundstage. Conundrum!
Note: my musical taste consists of approximately everything, so I have multiple pairs. My current inventory is HD600s, HD580s (I'll keep one of those two once I decide whether the 600s are worth the price tag), ATH-M50s, and the 225s.
My system: HifiMan EF2A USB Amp/Dac or NAD C320BEE + C542
Head-fi: help me downgrade! (I'm weird :))
Edited by spronkey - 9/20/11 at 6:41pm