So my brother - without having any idea what he was getting into - approached me about getting some headphones. Now, normally I'm the one trying to get other people to put down their mainstream, sub-par audio equipment, so naturally I jumped at this chance. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I've done a bunch of research myself, but I've been MIA from the headphone world for quite awhile, so basically I want to consult the experts before pulling the trigger.
Here are the details:
- He listens to a wide variety of music, but particularly wants classic rock to be the focus.
- Need to be circumaural.
- They need to be really comfortable for extended listening periods.
- His listening style is more laid back, as he normally listens to music while doing other things.
- Source: MP3's (not sure what bitrate) from onboard audio from his PC.
- These will only be used at home, so isolation is not important.
- Budget of $400 (so call it ~$500).
I was thinking the DT880 600ohm with the darkvoice 336i/SE might work nicely. That doesn't leave much money left for a DAC, but I've been reading good things about the fiio D3, so I figure that's a cheap alternative for him to start with. What are everyone's opinions? Feel free to diverge from any of the components I listed, because at the very least it will give me an excuse to read up on other headphones .