Hi, I've been lurking these forums for the past month figuring out what to get as my first set up. Last week I finally decided to get the audio-gd nfb-12 and a pair of dt 880 600 ohm headphones. I just started listening to this set up and I noticed when I have the volume knob past 1 o' clock I start noticing distortion (if that's the right word). When I put in my a700, it can go up to max volume with no distortion. Is it because the nfb-12 is not giving it enough power or is there something wrong with my cans? Thanks for any input.
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 9/21/11
- productAudio-gd NFB-12.1tagged by System, 3/7/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 9/21/11
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 9/21/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- E7/E9 combo + Beyerdynamic DT880 - 600 ohm / Swan M200MkIII Last post on 5/5/11 at 9:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP for DT880 600 ohm Last post on 4/23/11 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- need amp suggestsion for dt880 600. too much treble Last post on 3/16/11 at 6:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which amp for HD650 and DT880 600ohm! Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about DT880 and Fiio E7 + E9 pairing Last post on 7/10/12 at 3:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Nobody said HiFi was cheap, spending $200 dollars on HiFi doesn't get you very far these days. The AudioQuest DragonFly RED is one of those rare exceptions, I think it's the best value on the...
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
- Headphone Impedance
Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm + Audio-gd NFB-12 Distortion at Higher Volume Levels?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Usually it is not as simple as "is it my cans or the amp?"
We need to know some other things.
The audio gd unit is a dac and amp. So, what music player are you using? Do you have any dsp or equalization functions on?
I have found that some headphones will show up problems with your source material or mp3 player, while others do not.
So, it may not mean that your beyers are broken....
And the second one would be to play the dt880 through other sources and amps to see if you can recreate the distortion. Do you have a home theatre receiver? Anything else to try the cans on?
My DT880's (600 ohm) also seem to be a bit more susceptable to high volume distortion than most of my other cans. It happens at a level higher than I normally listen so is not a problem, but for some who listen at quite high volume settings, it might be of more concern.
It would be my guess that at the 12-1:00 position of your volume control, you would be listening at quite a high level.
My 600 Ohm K240DF's start sounding sharp if played loud out of an amp that doesn't drive them well (like an LD mkV).
If you have access to a (preferably vintage) receiver or integrated amp with a headphone output, try it out and see if things change, if they do, your NFB-12 doesn't have what it takes.
600 Ohm headphones need voltage and more voltage, most headphone amps amplify current and won't work well with such high impedance cans.
@TheWuss @Adda I tried it on my receiver (denon avr-391) and I noticed the same distortion when I put it at a high volume level. I don't have access to anything else. As for using bit perfect output on foobar2000 I'll have to figure that out.
@HiFlight Thanks, that gives me some relief that my cans aren't bad. I really shouldn't be putting my volume past 12 anyways. It does sound fine with no noticeable distortion below 1:00. I wouldn't want to return these cans considering I got them at $158 open box new. :)
Also, will burning in these cans help the situation? and is distortion normal on cans that aren't being driven properly (at higher volume levels)?
Edited by Syrk - 9/20/11 at 7:01pm
I would not trust that Dennon with headphones, it's too modern, I'm quite sure it doesn't drive headphones with it's power amp, I could be wrong, but someone would have to check to convince me.
Also it's quite modern so 600 Ohm headphones where not on the mind of the people who designed it.
All in all that Dennon is most likely not a good amp for 600 Ohm headphones either, something form the late 70's early 80's will trounce it (Nikko, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, Luxman, Harman/Kardon, Marantz, Sony, Hitachi)
Burn in might help, but I doubt they will change much beyond a weeks time of heavy use.
The NFB12 puts out 0.15 watts at 600ohms, whereas the Phoenix puts out 0.9 watts. It might be pushing the limit of the 12's capabilities. I don't hear this distortion with my DT770/600 before it hurts my ears. Then again, the 600ohm Beyers are tough to drive for sure. Make sure all the settings in Winamp are off such as EQ and that the volume is at max.
Beyer Dynamic A1 only output 100mw at 600ohms , and i don't think that they have any problem feading Beyers 600 ohms .
OP, the distortion you are hearing is clipping. Your amp sadly can not output enough power for the headphones and is running low on power reserves. That's when clipping comes in. My X-CANV8P can drive my 600Ohm beyers nicely but will clip if you drive them too loud. If you want todrive them properly you might have to upgrade to a different amp or downgrade your headphones.
I find that the NFB-10SE (nearly same as my ROC) has more than enough juice to drive the beyers. Plus it's only $499 on sale on Audio-GD.com.It outputs 590mw into 600Ohm which is plenty enough IMO.
Another option is the SPL Auditor (big fan I might add ) and it can output 1.7W into 600Ohms . I have tried it on several 600Ohm headphones and it drives all the beyers, K240's, random vintage headphones with ease. The only downside is the hefty price you pay for that power.
I would not recommend the A1 amp though. I know beyer made it for the 600Ohm headphones but IMO the amp isn't worth it. From what I understand out output impedance on headphone amp the A1's is just too high at 100Ohm's. When I had heard the A1 it seemed to muddy beyers signature bass. It did give them more weight and body but at the cost of some tightness and texture. Also the higher impedance skewed the frequencies to make the highs a bit more relaxed. I just didn't like ti at all.
Not saying you have to upgrade, but just letting you know some options.
Edited by Zombie_X - 9/24/11 at 4:39pm
- Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm + Audio-gd NFB-12 Distortion at Higher Volume Levels?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 30 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › low quality cable out of pc into chain of cleaning defeats purpose... 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 6 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse