Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Would you consider the A4 VWs good cars? (detailed explanation inside)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you consider the A4 VWs good cars? (detailed explanation inside) - Page 2

post #16 of 62
Lol, in terms of resale value, it would kick the air out of all six of mine's cylinders. (My next vehicle will be '98 Dodge Dakota R/T which has V8 Magnum motor in it)

I like BMW M5. =)

I like nice large steel rims (17" or 19"), but 22" seems much too big for cars. I'm not a fan of excessive use of chrome on vehicles either.
post #17 of 62
Quote:
I like BMW M5. =)
i luv da bimmer X5... betta dan the benz ml=55 amg crap
post #18 of 62
Well, my family has owned nothing but Fords: My '89 Thunderbird, some really old Tempo, a '95 Probe GT, and a '98 Ranger. Maybe my family's just lucky when it comes to Fords, but we have had zero, count 'em zero, major problems w/ the cars. Minor annoyances like power windows getting off-track, yes, but no major problems.
post #19 of 62
The only luxury SUV that I like (well, any SUV) is the Cadillac Escalade. I don't get why people call SUVs trucks, they seem fake to me.
post #20 of 62
Thread Starter 
No, wait! You guys are confused...

A1, A2, A3, A4 are designation names for platforms. For example, the original Rabbit (Golf) was an A1 car. The current Golf is an A4 car, as the Jetta, New Beetle, Audi TT, Audi A3 (never mind the designation -it is built on an A4 platform), SEAT Leon, etc.).

The "B" platform is the one the Audi A4 and the VW Passat use.

So my car is an Audi A3, riding on a VW Group A4 platform, which has nothing to do with the Audi A4 one. Confoosed?

Anyway, about the quality issue... there is a specific quality control for VW cars going to the States in the Puebla plant. Those cars that don't make the cut end up being sold in México's own market (YOU SUCK, VW!). That's the reason I avoided VW in the first place, and bought a German A3.

But come on... my dad's car on the job is an old Sentra (2 generations behind the current one), it has 120,000 kms. in it, and all that has been wrong with it are the spark plugs, which had to be CLEANED (not changed!) 2,000 kms. ago. And my "quality" Audi has had so many problems I can only think about selling it now.

I might get a Sentra SE-R Spec V... or a Toyota MR2 (if it comes out in México this year), or a Civic Si... not bad choices at all.
post #21 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by dhwilkin
Well, my family has owned nothing but Fords: My '89 Thunderbird, some really old Tempo, a '95 Probe GT, and a '98 Ranger. Maybe my family's just lucky when it comes to Fords, but we have had zero, count 'em zero, major problems w/ the cars. Minor annoyances like power windows getting off-track, yes, but no major problems.
DH, does :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: ring a bell?
post #22 of 62

ohboy, a car thread!

I've a friend with a 2 year old Passat wagon. Front drive with the little turbo 4. He drives the snot out of the thing, and hasn't had any trouble that he will admit. My last VW was a Karman Ghia (shudder). I do really like the new Audi A4.

I recently went car shopping, with sights set on a new Z06 or BMW M3. The dealers annoyed me pretty badly I guess, since I ended up with a Ford Cobra. The car has some issues, but the engine, driveline, suspension, and brakes are sweet! Now I have the spectrum covered for number of valves. The cobra has 32 (and it sounds like it). My RX7 turbo has none. I am thinking about getting rid of the RX7. It is going to get me in a LOT of trouble one of these days.


Later
post #23 of 62
You don't buy a Cobra and not modify it. =) Are you gonna supercharge it or bolt on any other performance upgrades?
post #24 of 62
Hola Francisco. I am getting a Tsuru GLS Plus 2002. It's a fine car and it's kinda luxious. I wanted either the Maxima or the Audio, the one you are going to dump actually. I think it's a good compromise between a luxury car and a small potatoes car like, uh, the Ka or the Chevy. According to people that owns the older models, they are way too reliable and have a great cost/performance/quality ratio. Besides, I got mine in a cool deep green colour that looks anything but green. There goes my .02's.
post #25 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Onix
Hola Francisco. I am getting a Tsuru GLS Plus 2002. It's a fine car and it's kinda luxious. I wanted either the Maxima or the Audio, the one you are going to dump actually. I think it's a good compromise between a luxury car and a small potatoes car like, uh, the Ka or the Chevy. According to people that owns the older models, they are way too reliable and have a great cost/performance/quality ratio. Besides, I got mine in a cool deep green colour that looks anything but green. There goes my .02's.
Hola Onyx! Tsurus rock! Actually, that's what my father drives, and the one that has 120K kms. in it. I had one and it lasted for 80K kms. before I sold it. Never did anything break. That's the reason I'm thinking about buying a Nissan again.

That, and my girlfriend works in Renault, so she gets a 10% discount in any Renault / Nissan car she wants (except for the mighty Clio Sport 172).
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by fjhuerta


Hola Onyx! Tsurus rock! Actually, that's what my father drives, and the one that has 120K kms. in it. I had one and it lasted for 80K kms. before I sold it. Never did anything break. That's the reason I'm thinking about buying a Nissan again.

That, and my girlfriend works in Renault, so she gets a 10% discount in any Renault / Nissan car she wants (except for the mighty Clio Sport 172).
Do not, I repeat, do not get a Renault. I had one of those, can't remember the model (12 years ago), and the thing had a poltergeist or something inside. It would break something different every day and would not even star on Thursdays. And I am not kidding. I only had it for a couple of moths before the stering broke and I ended crashing with a pesero. Please, do not get a Renault. Go for the Nissan and that way I can race you on Reforma .
post #27 of 62
renault and nissan are together now... but i dont think they share platforms just yet
post #28 of 62
Quote:
fjhuerta said...

DH, does :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: ring a bell?
Oolong > kittens... AYB and stuff...
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Onix


Do not, I repeat, do not get a Renault. I had one of those, can't remember the model (12 years ago), and the thing had a poltergeist or something inside. It would break something different every day and would not even star on Thursdays. And I am not kidding. I only had it for a couple of moths before the stering broke and I ended crashing with a pesero. Please, do not get a Renault. Go for the Nissan and that way I can race you on Reforma .


Mmmmm yes, Let's all choose a car based on one persons 12 years old experience
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Mumrik
Mmmmm yes, Let's all choose a car based on one persons 12 years old experience
Okay, granted. But I have never heard a good thing about Renault ever since.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Would you consider the A4 VWs good cars? (detailed explanation inside)