Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 201 or Koss KSC75?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 201 or Koss KSC75?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

An odd choice but honestly for me its about price more then anything else. I've just won an Amazon voucher for 10 pounds and these two seem the best things to spend the voucher on at around 15 quid each. I'd like a noise isolating pair but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice a lot of sound quality for it. 

 

How good is it the isolation on the 201? And the sound quality for each as well? Bang for the buck? 

 

Also any other recommendations around the 15 quid range, on Amazon UK that is?

post #2 of 39
Thread Starter 

Sorry for the double post, but I'd also like to say that I don't really listen to many bass heavy songs. I'm absolutely obsessed by Radiohead and Pink Floyd at the moment and I'd like some headphones that do justice to them.

post #3 of 39

Go for a IEM

 

Anything Koss is a good value

post #4 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

Go for a IEM

 

Anything Koss is a good value



I have ear wax problems and IEMs don't stay on for too long on my ears. I'm leaning towards the KSC too mostly because I know it sounds better but noise isolation is something I might need in the future...

post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow145 View Post

I have ear wax problems and IEMs don't stay on for too long on my ears. I'm leaning towards the KSC too mostly because I know it sounds better but noise isolation is something I might need in the future...


 

Go ahead and get them. The isolation isn't too good, but it's not like you can't hear the music

post #6 of 39

Both are actually really excellent bang for the buck options... They are obviously quite different headphones - the KSC75 is semi-open and doesn't isolate at all from outside noise, whereas the HD201 are closed and circum-aural, which means that they isolate fairly well for the price. Sound-wise, the KOSS has the clear edge, since the KSC75 is surprisingly balanced throughout the spectrum and far more refined-sounding than the price suggests. They have a lot of clarity, while the bass is slightly boomy but not overly so. The Sennheiser has a far less clear and refined sound but it arguably makes up for that by being a really fun can that makes most music sound good. Nothing will sound harsh with the HD201, ever. 

 

Both are great budget headphones.

 

EDIT: Just noticed that you can get these Superlux headphones on Amazon: HD651B

These could be worth checking out. Their sound is quite balanced like in all Superlux cans and they are closed so they will isolate somewhat. 


Edited by jupitreas - 9/17/11 at 5:37pm
post #7 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post




 

Go ahead and get them. The isolation isn't too good, but it's not like you can't hear the music



You mean the Koss right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

Both are actually really excellent bang for the buck options... They are obviously quite different headphones - the KSC75 is semi-open and doesn't isolate at all from outside noise, whereas the HD201 are closed and circum-aural, which means that they isolate fairly well for the price. Sound-wise, the KOSS has the clear edge, since the KSC75 is surprisingly balanced throughout the spectrum and far more refined-sounding than the price suggests. They have a lot of clarity, while the bass is slightly boomy but not overly so. The Sennheiser has a far less clear and refined sound but it arguably makes up for that by being a really fun can that makes most music sound good. Nothing will sound harsh with the HD201, ever. 

 

Both are great budget headphones.


Thanks for the input. Might I ask how good the isolating is on the HD201? I travel on airplanes quite a lot so it might come in handy if I have a noise isolating pair handy. 

 

Going slightly off topic, but what are the some good phones for listening to Radiohead/Pink Floyd etc. I never really read about which headphones are best for certain genres and sounds. 

 


Edited by Scarecrow145 - 9/17/11 at 5:37pm
post #8 of 39

Please audition the HD 201 if you can, my personal opinion lead me to putting them out with the trash. Literally.

post #9 of 39

Quote:


Thanks for the input. Might I ask how good the isolating is on the HD201? I travel on airplanes quite a lot so it might come in handy if I have a noise isolating pair handy. 

 

Going slightly off topic, but what are the some good phones for listening to Radiohead/Pink Floyd etc. I never really read about which headphones are best for certain genres and sounds. 

 

 

The isolation on the HD201 is good for walking around on the street but won't be enough for an airplane. You should really go for IEMs for that purpose, or perhaps for some active noise-cancelling cans (which are usually quite expensive and often not excellent sounding). 

 

As far as headphones for Radiohead/Pink Floyd, I'd personally say either go for a really neutral headphone or a slightly bright/aggressive one like a Grado (they would add excitement to the guitars). Bass monsters would likely drown out some of the exciting detail in the mid and high range in this music. Very bright/treble heavy headphones would probably make Radiohead sibilant and nearly unlistenable. With intelligent/sophisticated rock like this, I think a balanced, neutral can would do best. You should consider the Superlux I mentioned...
 

 


Edited by jupitreas - 9/17/11 at 5:57pm
post #10 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

Quote:


Thanks for the input. Might I ask how good the isolating is on the HD201? I travel on airplanes quite a lot so it might come in handy if I have a noise isolating pair handy. 

 

Going slightly off topic, but what are the some good phones for listening to Radiohead/Pink Floyd etc. I never really read about which headphones are best for certain genres and sounds. 

 

 

The isolation on the HD201 is good for walking around on the street but won't be enough for an airplane. You should really go for IEMs for that purpose, or perhaps for some active noise-cancelling cans (which are usually quite expensive and often not excellent sounding). 

 

As far as headphones for Radiohead/Pink Floyd, I'd personally say either go for a really neutral headphone or a slightly bright/aggressive one like a Grado (they would add excitement to the guitars). Bass monsters would likely drown out some of the exciting detail in the mid and high range in this music. Very bright/treble heavy headphones would probably make Radiohead sibilant and nearly unlistenable. With intelligent/sophisticated rock like this, I think a balanced, neutral can would do best. You should consider the Superlux I mentioned...
 

 


How would the Koss pair do with Radiohead? I think I've pretty much decided to order them. The Superlux pair seem good but tbh would look odd if I were to use them outside unlike the HD 201s.

 

post #11 of 39

The Koss will do great with Radiohead, they are truly great headphones and one of the biggest budget legends in audiophilia :) You might need to burn them in a little, the titanium diaphragm seems to benefit from that and will sound less harsh.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow145 View Post




How would the Koss pair do with Radiohead? I think I've pretty much decided to order them. The Superlux pair seem good but tbh would look odd if I were to use them outside unlike the HD 201s.

 



 

post #12 of 39

I would say get the KSC75. They are exceptional headphones and well worth the price. If I had to rank or compare them I'd say for how they should they should be in the $50 range. They are that good. They sound very clean, detailed, airy, and quite authoritative in the lower regions. The treble is so clean and not harsh at all while the midrange is involving and quite full. They also respond nicely to amping and on my new Auditor they actually ROCK the house. These babies when amped can compare to $70 or so headphones IMO. 

 

The Sennheiser, while not bad, can't match the price-2-performance ratio of the KSC75. It can sound mushy to my ears but as a plus makes harsh/bright recordings very listenable.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

The Koss will do great with Radiohead, they are truly great headphones and one of the biggest budget legends in audiophilia :) You might need to burn them in a little, the titanium diaphragm seems to benefit from that and will sound less harsh.

post #13 of 39

First of all, 

 

excellent taste in music my friend. biggrin.gif

 

75's ar great for low-noise travel, but mine struggle on the bus. If these phones are for a louder environment, I might suggest Senn's hd428, which is a little more, but has a great balanced sound and isolates fairly well. 

post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow145 View Post

An odd choice but honestly for me its about price more then anything else. I've just won an Amazon voucher for 10 pounds and these two seem the best things to spend the voucher on at around 15 quid each. I'd like a noise isolating pair but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice a lot of sound quality for it. 

 

How good is it the isolation on the 201? And the sound quality for each as well? Bang for the buck? 

 

Also any other recommendations around the 15 quid range, on Amazon UK that is?

HD201 need an amp to sound at their best with decent volume and sound quality. They're difficult to drive.
 

 

post #15 of 39

I'd say you are comparing something underpriced vs something overpriced (because most sennheiser stuff are overpriced anyway).   Get the ksc75.

However, in term of comfort,  the ksc75  are not great.  I'd say they have the comfort of a 10$ headphone .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 201 or Koss KSC75?