Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › I am giving up on computers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am giving up on computers. - Page 9

Poll Results: Do you have computer issues like this all the time?

 
  • 16% (5)
    Yes it is quite annoying
  • 83% (26)
    no I tend to get good luck.
31 Total Votes  
post #121 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 View Post

Try a different mouse?



Tried that. No difference. But Ubuntu seems to be running well. I am booting it along with windows 7 so i have both. 7 for games and Ubuntu for actual computing.

post #122 of 135

You aren't showing the right things.  You need screenshots showing everything running in the background.  You need a screenshot showing your resources.  A screenshot of your viruscan report and history.  A shot of your current build.  A pic of every setting and all the menus in your BIOS.  A report of everything you've done, modified or upgraded in your PC from stock.  It's obvious you've never run ms****** before and even if you have it optimized your usage practices indicate you likely granted permission or installed something hogging your resources.  Honestly, diagnosing and fixing your issue is something I used to charge an arm and a leg for at Best Buy before they had geek squads back in the day.  Easiest solution for you and everyone here is to back up your data and reinstall.  If everything works like it should after, there is nothing wrong w/ the PC or Windows.  It's you and all the sites and programs you access.  Simple.  If you want to keep being called the 'computer guy' please subscribe to Maximum PC and take some A+ classes in PC main/repair at the very least.  The cost to give you a proper answer to explain your problem is more expensive than buying the cheapest new netbook out there.  

 

Do make sure to ground yourself and/or use a static mat when getting inside your PC too.  


Edited by Anaxilus - 9/18/11 at 8:00pm
post #123 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

You aren't showing the right things.  You need screenshots showing everything running in the background.  You need a screenshot showing your resources.  A screenshot of your viruscan report and history.  A shot of your current build.  A pic of every setting and all the menus in your BIOS.  A report of everything you've done, modified or upgraded in your PC from stock.  It's obvious you've never run ms****** before and even if you have it optimized your usage practices indicate you likely granted permission or installed something hogging your resources.  Honestly, diagnosing and fixing your issue is something I used to charge an arm and a leg for at Best Buy before they had geek squads back in the day.  Easiest solution for you and everyone here is to back up your data and reinstall.  If everything works like it should after, there is nothing wrong w/ the PC or Windows.  It's you and all the sites and programs you access.  Simple.  If you want to keep being called the 'computer guy' please subscribe to Maximum PC and take some A+ classes in PC main/repair at the very least.  The cost to give you a proper answer to explain your problem is more expensive than buying the cheapest new netbook out there.  

 

Do make sure to ground yourself and/or use a static mat when getting inside your PC too.  


I know very well how to use windows. I took a video of that to show you the issue i have been having. I am not going to meticulously record every single thing i have done to it since stock.

 

What i have done

 

Cleaned the registry (ccleaner)

Defragged my hdd

Uninstalled all the crapware

Set up boot options with msconfig

I pretty much boot to a blank screen with nothing running but the windows files themselves.

 

I know what i am doing it is just that everything i have tried hasn't worked. That is why i am asking for help.

 

I got to the point i said **** it and installed ubuntu.

 


Edited by bcasey25raptor - 9/18/11 at 8:13pm
post #124 of 135

You asked for help.  I gave it.  You seem to be listening to your own advice.  I don't think there's anything else to add.  Good luck.

post #125 of 135

We've just gotten to the point where we just chuck "possessed" laptops in the garbage. Funny behavior is too hard to troubleshoot.

post #126 of 135

But have you checked for any hardware issues?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post




I know very well how to use windows. I took a video of that to show you the issue i have been having. I am not going to meticulously record every single thing i have done to it since stock.

 

What i have done

 

Cleaned the registry (ccleaner)

Defragged my hdd

Uninstalled all the crapware

Set up boot options with msconfig

I pretty much boot to a blank screen with nothing running but the windows files themselves.

 

I know what i am doing it is just that everything i have tried hasn't worked. That is why i am asking for help.

 

I got to the point i said **** it and installed ubuntu.

 



 

post #127 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

We've just gotten to the point where we just chuck "possessed" laptops in the garbage. Funny behavior is too hard to troubleshoot.


Yup.  Too expensive and time consuming.  Reinstall can clear up basic questions though.  It's all logic and scientific method.  Not sure if that applies to cosmic rays.  tongue.gif

 

post #128 of 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


Yup.  Too expensive and time consuming.  Reinstall can clear up basic questions though.  It's all logic and scientific method.  Not sure if that applies to cosmic rays.  tongue.gif

 


My Yoda sense was cosmic rays. Our IT guy (who is still young and learning the ways of the force) did not believe me and insisted on re-installing OS and replacing parts - only to have the laptops fail in the field. Eventually he wisened up and implemented our "F'it - I'm throwing it away" program.

post #129 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathallo View Post

But have you checked for any hardware issues?
 



 


How do i check without opening up the laptop. Even then i don't know how to tell.

 

post #130 of 135

It's not likely a hardware issue. Anaxilus is right. Just reinstall windows and go on your way.

 

Though personally I don't think it looks like an OS issue. Just some bloatware or malware or something along those lines.

post #131 of 135

My bet lies in malware seen this before a clean instal takes care of it and other issues. With that said I bet you will enjoy Ubuntu I do along with Win 7 on an HP laptop keep in mind if you are going to dual

boot instal Windows first and remember that with Windows it only allows 4 true partitions.

post #132 of 135

Sometime if you have too many protection it will screw your notebook.

 

Make sure you don't have 2 Antivirus / 2 firewall / 2 anti-spyware / 2 X protection programs running...

post #133 of 135

Yea, but fixing minor seating issues takes 5 minutes.

 

Reformatting and reinstalling everything can take hours.  Even if it isn't hardware, doesn't hurt to find out where the parts are for future reference.

 

Every computer I've had that has frequent lock ups is due to poor seating of the dimms or hard drive -  it does happen.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 View Post

It's not likely a hardware issue. Anaxilus is right. Just reinstall windows and go on your way.

 

Though personally I don't think it looks like an OS issue. Just some bloatware or malware or something along those lines.


 

post #134 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post




How do i check without opening up the laptop. Even then i don't know how to tell.

 


I don't know why this thread is so long the solution is simple: let me take you through the setps:

So it's either software related or hardware related. The former being the most likely, but the most annoying to check.

If you want to test your software here's what you do: Backup, format and reinstall. If you don't want to that unistall all crap that you have run crap cleaner and some antivirus scanner. After that you run command prompt(or run) type: "msconfig" and then press enter. Untick everything that isn't absolutely essential under startup and services. If that fails it's ether hardware related or you need a reinstall.

Ok now hardware: You need to test gpu, cpu, temps, ram and hdd. Test one: start task manager go to performance and then resource monitor and look for bottlenecks while running something that procs the problems u are having. If there is no clear suspect from that start benchmarking: benchmark all 4 components and see if it corresponds with the score you should get judging from the specs. And lastly run prime95 with with ram threads(or whatever you call it) with the same amount of gigabytes as your pc has, when you do that check temps with realtemp. 

somewhere down that line you should find the issue

 

post #135 of 135

After reading this thread, I don't know what you really tried and what you just say that you tried, or glossed over. Please do try these, people here in general have given you good advice.

 

Here are some steps to summarize:

 

Boot from a cd or USB stick with memtest86+ on it. Run that overnight or at least until it completes three complete sets of test. That should rule out RAM errors and likely motherboard errors for the most part.

 

If no errors, check the hard drive next. It sounds like you already have checked the SMART tests, you should run a full check disk as well with "check for bad sectors" checked off and have it set to run at next boot, then restart and let that run.

 

If that finds no major errors, It is time to backup important data, format the boot drive and then reinstall using a fresh copy of Windows or your manufacturer restore disks. Remember to run Microsoft update to patch and update Windows. Next run Prime95 with all four threads in RAM enabled. Let this run for 12 hours and check temperatures. If not over 80 degrees C on the main core, that should be OK.

 

If you do not happen to find any errors after all of this and your computer still seems borked, its time to hire a professional or buy a new computer. Probably cheaper to buy a new computer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › I am giving up on computers.