What kind of equipment are you guys demoing these cans with? Store setups are usually not set up right. Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brand1964 Earstagged by System, 9/16/11
- productBeats by Dr. Dre Solo HD Blacktagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandSonytagged by Afterlife07, 5/15/13
- productSony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcupstagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandZalmantagged by System, 9/16/11
- productZalman ZM-RS6F 5.1 surround sound headphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- colorful (girly....?) headphones under $70? Last post on 10/11/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Affordable Sony studio headphones Last post on 1/31/11 at 6:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help a Noob Find a Good Set of Headphones Last post on 11/18/10 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Phones $50< Last post on 6/1/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
First off I want to apologize for taking so long to get this review put together. Circumstances and family responsibility have conspired against me this year in regards to being able put together a...
WORST headphone you ever heard? - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #692 of 15134/30/13 at 7:38amBased on price:
Skullcandy skull crushers. I'm not sure they even played music. It is quite possible they just mislabeled a head massager.
I also just tried my stock earbuds from my galaxy nexus. That wasn't pleasant.post #693 of 15134/30/13 at 9:19amThe SONY MDR-NC6's that I bought ages ago to silence airplane travel noise are terrible compared to the 668b's. Recessed everything, a collapsed sound-stage, no bass, no treble, yuck.
That is without the NC function on.post #694 of 15134/30/13 at 10:27amQuote:
Well, i hate when this happens.
HT modern receivers are not good for headphone demoing in my opinion. They usually have a cheap/poorly designed headphone out.post #695 of 15134/30/13 at 10:47amQuote:Originally Posted by formula1Quote:
I think this has been true for 50 years. Headphone output circuits were, at best, an afterthought until recently.post #696 of 15134/30/13 at 11:19ampost #697 of 15134/30/13 at 1:13pm
It was a professional hifi shop, so he could plug into his own device and listen to lossless files. No foul play here.Quote:
Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!
That's the point - the Sony home theatre receiver isn't the problem. It's almost no different to using a headphone straight out of a phone or mp3 device. If the music is recorded badly, it will suck no matter what.
Edited by GREQ - 4/30/13 at 1:14pmpost #698 of 15135/1/13 at 10:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by GREQ
He said that for him, the P5 was simply audio perfection - exactly what he was looking for, and we already agreed that everyone has differing preferences.
I just hope he doesn't stick to his guns because of pride, but an actual preference.
He listens to mostly heavy/thrash metal, so I think he thoroughly enjoys the super relaxed sound from them.
But he was worried about sennheiser's being too mainstream....#nohopeforhumanitythankshipsters. Maybe introduce him to something like BeyerDynamic or Grado....yes Gradopost #699 of 15135/1/13 at 10:26pmpost #700 of 15135/2/13 at 5:22amQuote:
No, it was the SALESPERSON who said they were too mainstream - he discouraged my friend to even try them *facepalm*.
I doubt he'd like Grado. Sure there isn't much better for heavy metal, but it seems he wants his metal to be sung to him like a lullaby.post #701 of 15135/2/13 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by Zasteba
To contribute to the thread: the worst headphones I ever used were the generic $10 Panasonic earbuds you can find pretty much anywhere and come with that little round case the cable rolls up into. They were appreciably worse than the iPod earbuds, which I bought them to replace. I was in college and dead broke and still just threw them away.
How do they compare to the airline earbuds at your seat?
I want to pick up a pair of these just to see how they compare to my NC6's.post #702 of 15135/2/13 at 9:44amQuote:
Probably the guy listens to Lullaby power metal
Its not good to be fooled by salespersons.post #703 of 15135/2/13 at 10:28amQuote:
Hey, i use a sony home theatre for my headphone amp and I really like it. Ive tried cmoy amp, fiio e10 and i prefer the sony str-de475 because i can add or remove treble / bass -- especially nice when switching between headphones or music genres
I was thinking about selling my sony setup and trying one of them yamaha silent cinemas equipped receivers, but im not convinced id hear a tangible difference.post #704 of 15135/2/13 at 9:17pmI'm not including buds that came with players or airline freebies because it's too easy. It's also quite worrying that the iRiver buds I got with my H140 nearly a decade ago still work, as do the Sennheiser buds that came with my H340 a couple of years later. Meanwhile almost every IEM I have paid extra for since then has died.
My three contenders for worst purchased phones are:
Razer Protone M100 IEMs. These look absolutely identical to Sennheiser CX 300 and clones but it's the same kind of similarity as with a chocolate smoothie and a glass of filthy brown mud from a ditch. To be fair they were promoted as gaming phones and not something for enjoying music. And this evening, about 5 years after I bought them, I even used them for that and they were acceptable. It's playing actual music that reveals them as duds.
Klipsch Image X1 IEMs (amazon model identical to S1). Sound quality: boom wallow boom boom wallow. Ergonomics: silly shaped tips in silicone that is too hard, and any slight breeze causes whistling noises. Stick out so can't rest head against anything. Aaaagh. I bought something better and put the Klipsch el cheapo IEMs back in their case and forgot about them for many months. Recently I plugged them in and one side had mysteriously stopped working while unused and untouched. I didn't care.
Sony MDR-ZX700. Nice sound but died after just over a year. Very thin cable running into casket from headband routes by a hinge whose movement pinches the cable until eventully the bare wire is exposed and the sound stops. Dumb design, or maybe careless assembly, perhaps both.
This thread is locked
- WORST headphone you ever heard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New Audeze LCD3 11 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 52 seconds ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic 32Ohm Help 4 minutes ago
- › FS: AMB 2ch Beta 22 + LCDuino + Sigma 22 4 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › Audeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphone by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3