What kind of equipment are you guys demoing these cans with? Store setups are usually not set up right. Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brand66 Audiotagged by System, 9/16/11
- productBeats by Dr. Dre Solo HD Blacktagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandSonytagged by Afterlife07, 5/15/13
- productSony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcupstagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandZalmantagged by System, 9/16/11
- productZalman ZM-RS6F 5.1 surround sound headphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- colorful (girly....?) headphones under $70? Last post on 10/11/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Affordable Sony studio headphones Last post on 1/31/11 at 6:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help a Noob Find a Good Set of Headphones Last post on 11/18/10 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Phones $50< Last post on 6/1/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
WORST headphone you ever heard? - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #692 of 15134/30/13 at 7:38amBased on price:
Skullcandy skull crushers. I'm not sure they even played music. It is quite possible they just mislabeled a head massager.
I also just tried my stock earbuds from my galaxy nexus. That wasn't pleasant.post #693 of 15134/30/13 at 9:19amThe SONY MDR-NC6's that I bought ages ago to silence airplane travel noise are terrible compared to the 668b's. Recessed everything, a collapsed sound-stage, no bass, no treble, yuck.
That is without the NC function on.post #694 of 15134/30/13 at 10:27amQuote:
Well, i hate when this happens.
HT modern receivers are not good for headphone demoing in my opinion. They usually have a cheap/poorly designed headphone out.post #695 of 15134/30/13 at 10:47amQuote:Originally Posted by formula1Quote:
I think this has been true for 50 years. Headphone output circuits were, at best, an afterthought until recently.post #696 of 15134/30/13 at 11:19ampost #697 of 15134/30/13 at 1:13pm
It was a professional hifi shop, so he could plug into his own device and listen to lossless files. No foul play here.Quote:
Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!
That's the point - the Sony home theatre receiver isn't the problem. It's almost no different to using a headphone straight out of a phone or mp3 device. If the music is recorded badly, it will suck no matter what.
Edited by GREQ - 4/30/13 at 1:14pmpost #698 of 15135/1/13 at 10:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by GREQ
He said that for him, the P5 was simply audio perfection - exactly what he was looking for, and we already agreed that everyone has differing preferences.
I just hope he doesn't stick to his guns because of pride, but an actual preference.
He listens to mostly heavy/thrash metal, so I think he thoroughly enjoys the super relaxed sound from them.
But he was worried about sennheiser's being too mainstream....#nohopeforhumanitythankshipsters. Maybe introduce him to something like BeyerDynamic or Grado....yes Gradopost #699 of 15135/1/13 at 10:26pmpost #700 of 15135/2/13 at 5:22amQuote:
No, it was the SALESPERSON who said they were too mainstream - he discouraged my friend to even try them *facepalm*.
I doubt he'd like Grado. Sure there isn't much better for heavy metal, but it seems he wants his metal to be sung to him like a lullaby.post #701 of 15135/2/13 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by Zasteba
To contribute to the thread: the worst headphones I ever used were the generic $10 Panasonic earbuds you can find pretty much anywhere and come with that little round case the cable rolls up into. They were appreciably worse than the iPod earbuds, which I bought them to replace. I was in college and dead broke and still just threw them away.
How do they compare to the airline earbuds at your seat?
I want to pick up a pair of these just to see how they compare to my NC6's.post #702 of 15135/2/13 at 9:44amQuote:
Probably the guy listens to Lullaby power metal
Its not good to be fooled by salespersons.post #703 of 15135/2/13 at 10:28amQuote:
Hey, i use a sony home theatre for my headphone amp and I really like it. Ive tried cmoy amp, fiio e10 and i prefer the sony str-de475 because i can add or remove treble / bass -- especially nice when switching between headphones or music genres
I was thinking about selling my sony setup and trying one of them yamaha silent cinemas equipped receivers, but im not convinced id hear a tangible difference.post #704 of 15135/2/13 at 9:17pmI'm not including buds that came with players or airline freebies because it's too easy. It's also quite worrying that the iRiver buds I got with my H140 nearly a decade ago still work, as do the Sennheiser buds that came with my H340 a couple of years later. Meanwhile almost every IEM I have paid extra for since then has died.
My three contenders for worst purchased phones are:
Razer Protone M100 IEMs. These look absolutely identical to Sennheiser CX 300 and clones but it's the same kind of similarity as with a chocolate smoothie and a glass of filthy brown mud from a ditch. To be fair they were promoted as gaming phones and not something for enjoying music. And this evening, about 5 years after I bought them, I even used them for that and they were acceptable. It's playing actual music that reveals them as duds.
Klipsch Image X1 IEMs (amazon model identical to S1). Sound quality: boom wallow boom boom wallow. Ergonomics: silly shaped tips in silicone that is too hard, and any slight breeze causes whistling noises. Stick out so can't rest head against anything. Aaaagh. I bought something better and put the Klipsch el cheapo IEMs back in their case and forgot about them for many months. Recently I plugged them in and one side had mysteriously stopped working while unused and untouched. I didn't care.
Sony MDR-ZX700. Nice sound but died after just over a year. Very thin cable running into casket from headband routes by a hinge whose movement pinches the cable until eventully the bare wire is exposed and the sound stops. Dumb design, or maybe careless assembly, perhaps both.
This thread is locked
- WORST headphone you ever heard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 35 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA Forza Series: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › IEM for under 400€ 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones vs Speakers -- an Inconvenient Truth 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear