Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My next future headphone purchase
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My next future headphone purchase

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
Alright so it seems that the M50s are just not for me. Having had them since june, i see that they dont have enough mids and too much bass for my liking even with Equ. It gets too loud that ill lose my hearing or its too low and the vocals/ detail wont come out. So i will make a preference list of what i would want from my next headphone.

music: all genres, from classical to rap to rock. I want something that can handle everything and stay pretty neutral with emphasis on mids/vocals.

Closed headphones preferred with decent soundstage. Cant have painful highs or simbliance. Minimal sound leak. Comfortable if possible. Not super long cable. $200-250 to spend.

My source: ipod touch 4g, equ app. 192-320 kbps tracks.

Thats about it. Note that this is a future endeavor when i get the money to upgrade. So not for awhile. For now i have to keep the M50s. Ive done foam mod so dont mention that but if u want, post suggestions if u find ones that might be useful for the m50 for now. Other than that post headphones that i might consider for my next purchase.

Thanks smily_headphones1.gif
post #2 of 80

Have you thought about turning the volume down?

 

Shure 840?

 

It's a nice companion to the M50's and will give you your mids and a little less bass.

post #3 of 80

Heya,

 

SRH940.

 

Do what you can to get one. Mids & Vocals? Done.

 

Very best,

post #4 of 80

I'm quite happy with my SRH840s, which i chose over the M50s for their neutrality.

They're a bit below your budget, though, you might be able to get something better with the extra cash.

post #5 of 80
Thread Starter 

The cheaper it is the sooner i can get it.

post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1josh46 View Post

The cheaper it is the sooner i can get it.



Save a little bit more, wait a little bit longer = Better Cans. Worth the wait man!

post #7 of 80

Heya,

 

Snatch this up quick. Inexpensive SRH940.

 

$225. This is a steal. It will not last long. Go. Go. Go.

 

Very best,


Edited by MalVeauX - 9/15/11 at 8:24am
post #8 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

Snatch this up quick. Inexpensive SRH940.

 

$225. This is a steal. It will not last long. Go. Go. Go.

 

Very best,


Do they sound better than the 840's and do they isolate well?

 

post #9 of 80
Thread Starter 

Any other suggestions?

post #10 of 80

You cant go wrong with the Shure's. 

post #11 of 80

Another vote for Shures here. Love mine.

post #12 of 80

For what you're looking for, the Shures are surely your best bet ho ho ho.

 

Other options are the DT1350s for neutral phones in that range.  Maybe the ESW9s?  Both will handle vocals well.

 

If you're looking to keep some extra bass body - maybe the MS400s?

 

Still think the Shures are your best bet if you can get 'em for cheap.
 

 

EDIT: If isolation is important to you, nothing isolates better than the DT1350 from my experience.  Compared them to the shures, M50s and the HD25s and if you can get a proper seal, they silence the world around you.


Edited by Anathallo - 9/15/11 at 4:48pm
post #13 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathallo View Post

For what you're looking for, the Shures are surely your best bet ho ho ho.

 

Other options are the DT1350s for neutral phones in that range.  Maybe the ESW9s?  Both will handle vocals well.

 

If you're looking to keep some extra bass body - maybe the MS400s?

 

Still think the Shures are your best bet if you can get 'em for cheap.
 

 

EDIT: If isolation is important to you, nothing isolates better than the DT1350 from my experience.  Compared them to the shures, M50s and the HD25s and if you can get a proper seal, they silence the world around you.

Which Shures do you recommend?
 

 

post #14 of 80
Thread Starter 

Well I found Shure 840s on amazon for $129. I would get the straight cable accessory unless the coiled one isn't an issue. I hear it isn't portable though. could it fit around a neck?

post #15 of 80

The 840s sound very similar to the M50s, I don't think you will be happy with them if you didn't like the M50s.

 

The 940s are much more neutral and sound like they're more what you're looking for - definitely look into the listing Malveaux linked to.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1josh46 View Post



Which Shures do you recommend?
 

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My next future headphone purchase