All right, so as of right now my DAP is a Sony NWZ-S545, but soon I'll be getting either a Cowon J3 or C3. The IEM's I will be using are the Phonak Audeo PFE-121(?), but what I'm most concerned about with looking for an amp, is to drive my Grado SR80's. When listening quietly, the music sounds very distant. And to get the best sound out of the Grado's the volume has to be pretty loud. So I'm looking for as cheap as possible with an amp right now. Just a beginners amp so to speak. When I have more funds available I will get a better amp. But any help is greatly appreciated as I know nothing about portable headphone amps right now.
- productCowon J3 Portable Media Player 32GB - Whitetagged by System, 9/16/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productPhonak Audeo PFE 121tagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- First post ever. V-Moda M-80's...Good starter Audiophile headphone? Amps? Last post on 6/9/12 at 9:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Zo2.3 for low volume listening? Last post on 5/29/12 at 4:18am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Measurements of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 5/29/12 at 11:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cowon J3 vs ipod nano + e7 Last post on 5/29/12 at 3:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Oy! Time to start increasing my portable rig I guess, need some helppost #1 of 49/14/11 at 7:36pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 49/16/11 at 9:21pmThread Starterpost #3 of 49/17/11 at 7:26pm
If you go to the Head Gear page and look under portable amps that would probably be a good starting point. The top portable amp is the PA2V2 I think and its like $60. The CMoyBB which is the one in the Altoids tin is the same price. Both have a following. I hope to get the latter at some point. Just read a bunch of different reviews. Unfortunately for me that's all I can afford to do at the moment.
- Oy! Time to start increasing my portable rig I guess, need some help
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › For 6BL7 tube users 52 seconds ago
- › Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 701 owner's thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear