Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Currently Using the Senns HD555s for Gaming. Are either the AD700s or HD 598s a Worthy Upgrade?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Currently Using the Senns HD555s for Gaming. Are either the AD700s or HD 598s a Worthy Upgrade?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I've been gaming with the HD 555s for a little over 3 years now.  I just recently purchased a Ear Force DSS 5.1 Dolby Headphone Processor.  I guess I'm just wondering if it's time for an upgrade?  If I purchased the AD700s or the HD 598s, will I notice a difference?  Am I fine with what I have?

 

Thanks!

 

P.S.  I've read over Shin CZ's thread where he breaks down many headphones he's used with Dolby Headphone Processors.  He ranks the AD700s and the HD 598s at the top of his list.  He doesn't mention the HD 555s which is why I'm posting this question.

post #2 of 25

Don't know if you know this but the PC360 is based on the HD555..  I think you are just fine with those. Not much different from the HD555 and HD595 in games.. Maybe a bit wider stage but that is about it..

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Don't know if you know this but the PC360 is based on the HD555..  I think you are just fine with those. Not much different from the HD555 and HD595 in games.. Maybe a bit wider stage but that is about it..

Great thanks!!! Definitely would welcome some more opinions.
post #4 of 25

I can vouch for the 555 and 595 sounding similar, not to big of an upgrade. Just a little upgrade in the soundstage. Now for 595 to AD700 I didn't really hear much of an improvement when I listened to my friends AD700's

post #5 of 25

Na don't go for the Ad700... You want something better for games than the AD700.. Try a SAMSON SR850.. It is better in every way and my favorite gaming headphone.. Better than my HD595.. Believe me I know what I am talking about I have almost 2K hours on BC2 online.. I am a co founder for =SOC= online.. A lot of guys don't know about how great the Samson is in games but.. I actually own the AD700 and many many others and tried them all for competitive online play.. Nothing touches the Samson SR850.

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Na don't go for the Ad700... You want something better for games than the AD700.. Try a SAMSON SR850.. It is better in every way and my favorite gaming headphone.. Better than my HD595.. Believe me I know what I am talking about I have almost 2K hours on BC2 online.. I am a co founder for =SOC= online.. A lot of guys don't know about how great the Samson is in games but.. I actually own the AD700 and many many others and tried them all for competitive online play.. Nothing touches the Samson SR850.

WOW!!! The price of the SR850s are unbelievable. Are these new? Haven't heard of them.
post #7 of 25

Let me tell you why the SAMSONs are better.. Imo better for music as well.. Ya they are cheap and overlooked as a gaming can.. These threads are full of guys that will recommend the AD700 for games because of sound stage yada yada.. You know what. The Samson SR850 has almost the same amount and not only that they are semi closed cans. That means you can hear foot steps and enemies that are closer to you.. More realistically than the AD700s. The AD700s are too spacious sounding and open for what I do.. Add to that the anemic Bass and when you got enemies shooting at you from 20 ft away it sounds like 25 ft away..

 

The Samson has full dynamic Bass to let you know you been shot by a canon and from exactly where.  I can tell where a guy is shooting at me from anywhere on the map with my eyes closed with the Samsons.. They are monitor phones with precision in games like you wont believe.. And they only cost $50..These are the same as the superlux headphones that are on these threads..

As a serious gamer, there is nothing I can recommend that does games better.

 

 

 

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Let me tell you why the SAMSONs are better.. Imo better for music as well.. Ya they are cheap and overlooked as a gaming can.. These threads are full of guys that will recommend the AD700 for games because of sound stage yada yada.. You know what. The Samson SR850 has almost the same amount and not only that they are semi closed cans. That means you can hear foot steps and enemies that are closer to you.. More realistically than the AD700s. The AD700s are too spacious sounding and open for what I do.. Add to that the anemic Bass and when you got enemies shooting at you from 20 ft away it sounds like 25 ft away..

 

The Samson has full dynamic Bass to let you know you been shot by a canon and from exactly where.  I can tell where a guy is shooting at me from anywhere on the map with my eyes closed with the Samsons.. They are monitor phones with precision in games like you wont believe.. And they only cost $50..These are the same as the superlux headphones that are on these threads..

As a serious gamer, there is nothing I can recommend that does games better.

 

 

 

Thanks! I think I may give these a try.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post [...] They are monitor phones with precision in games like you wont believe.. And they only cost $50..

 



You've even got my eyeing a pair of those, with a price like that even if you don't like them you're only out 50 compared to $150+ on the others

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmice View Post





You've even got my eyeing a pair of those, with a price like that even if you don't like them you're only out 50 compared to $150+ on the others

See it is counter intuitive when someone suggest a budget can. I mean that is not what these threads are about here at head fi...You know what? You don't need stupid high end cans for games at all..If you guys take my advice and try out gaming with the Samson SR850 you will understand.. No need to spend $200 plus just to get the best sounds and accuracy for games.

 

It only cost $50..
 

 

post #11 of 25

 

I'll post my impressions of them when i get them (hopefully in a couple weeks) cuz i just spent a decent amount of money replacing my old old old 1gb sansa player with a Cowon j3

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmice View Post

 

I'll post my impressions of them when i get them (hopefully in a couple weeks) cuz i just spent a decent amount of money replacing my old old old 1gb sansa player with a Cowon j3



Hold on a sec, you getting these for music or for games? If you want one for both.. Hmm and if you are a bass head...Check out my read on a new phone I discovered. They will take off like crazy and gaming on these are 2nd to my Samson SR850s .. http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-some-ultrasone-tech/30#post_7754435  If you are gonna just use it for gaming the Samsons are tops. 

post #13 of 25

I would have to say I'm not a basshead (bass has to be balanced under the mids) and would probably use these as my new computer phones for gaming/ maybe some music (or maybe out and about b/c of the price point i wouldn't be mortified if something happened to them) then use my 595 for relaxing with music around the home. I have been looking into some AKG K81 and HFI-580 for public phones.

post #14 of 25

Aha nice, Ya try out the Samsons.. You will love them for games.. They sound like a more balanced AD700 as the AD700s have almost no impact on bass. These do so they sound better musically to my ears than the AD700s. They are just better at everything the AD700 does actually.

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Just ordered my SR850s!  Should be here tomorrow so I can test them all weekend.  I just find it hard to believe that these headphones can outdo my Seinns HD555s.  Can't wait!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Currently Using the Senns HD555s for Gaming. Are either the AD700s or HD 598s a Worthy Upgrade?