Hi, this is my first post in this forum and I'm wondering if you guys could help me decide between Audio Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT440, or Alessandro MS-1. I did some research in the forum and find the urge to make a thread to help me more lol. My budget is around $100- $200ish (Australian $ or US). I like Almost every music genre unless metal and heavy metal lol. Thank you for your time. Any advice will greatly helps me make a decision
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 440 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 660 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones for me Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- need some help choosing my new pair of headphones Last post on 7/26/11 at 9:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- I made the switch... K702 to HD650. Last post on 3/26/11 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Please give me some advice buying new canspost #1 of 149/12/11 at 7:45pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 149/12/11 at 8:00pmpost #3 of 149/12/11 at 9:11pmThread Starter
That also interesting. Thanks BotByte. Oh and I also forgot to note that I am very very interested in M50. Anyone recommend this can instead of anything mentioned above? Also I prefer not using any amp as I will be using them for traveling as well.
Edited by Jijaymon - 9/12/11 at 9:22pmpost #4 of 149/12/11 at 11:18pmThread Starterpost #5 of 149/12/11 at 11:29pmpost #6 of 149/13/11 at 12:37ampost #7 of 149/13/11 at 6:57amThread Starter
I was thinking of doing that dyl1dyl, but then I have issue getting a second hand I don't know why lol and some of the second hands still out of my budget. I want something bassy but it doesn't have to be as bassy as tma 1 for examplepost #8 of 149/13/11 at 8:25amQuote:
Ultrasone HFI 780
Shure SRH840 (& SRH750 DJ if you want more bass)
Fischer Audio FA-011 (& FA-002 for a more neutral approach)
Grado SR225i with G-Cush Pads
Very best,post #9 of 149/13/11 at 8:57amThread Starter
Thanks for the advice MalVeauX!! Now I am thinking about either M50 or SR225i or SRH840. Can you please tell me which one's better and explain it why?? Thank you so much :D oh and by the way why won't you recommend M50?
Edited by Jijaymon - 9/13/11 at 9:05ampost #10 of 149/14/11 at 2:52amQuote:
M50 has recessed mids, cramped sound stage, and is just not that exciting to listen to. It's a monitor. And honestly, not that great in my opinion for it's (these days) $150 price tag. If it were a $80 headphone, I'd likely consider it differently, but not at that price level it currently sells at. I automatically suggest the HFI 580 over it for every purpose since it's cheaper, does the same job, has slightly better sound (in my opinion), looks better, and has better sound stage. On that note, immediately jump to the HFI 780 for a more refined sound. The SRH840 is also a great neutral monitor, I would also go for it over the M50 for overall sound quality. The SR225i is an excellent headphone, very lively, energetic, can do great bass impact, and can be made to be comfortable with some G-Cush pads (but it's an open headphone so it will leak if that's a problem or not). It easily is the headphone I'd suggest over all these headphones in terms of just picking it up and never looking back. SR225i + G-Cush pads. Excellent for everything. But if you need closed, I'd look at the HFI 780 and SRH840 in the price range, over the M50.
Very best,post #11 of 149/15/11 at 6:57pmThread Starterpost #12 of 149/15/11 at 7:23pmpost #13 of 149/15/11 at 7:27pmThread Starterpost #14 of 149/15/11 at 7:29pmQuote:
They're not bad unamped, but they do sound much better when paired with a good amp.
- Please give me some advice buying new cans
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 17 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 48 seconds ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 2 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 3 minutes ago
- › [Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design Heaven 7, Heaven 8, and Lab 1 3 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 4 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2