Hi, this is my first post in this forum and I'm wondering if you guys could help me decide between Audio Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT440, or Alessandro MS-1. I did some research in the forum and find the urge to make a thread to help me more lol. My budget is around $100- $200ish (Australian $ or US). I like Almost every music genre unless metal and heavy metal lol. Thank you for your time. Any advice will greatly helps me make a decision
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 440 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 660 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones for me Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- need some help choosing my new pair of headphones Last post on 7/26/11 at 9:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- I made the switch... K702 to HD650. Last post on 3/26/11 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Please give me some advice buying new canspost #1 of 149/12/11 at 7:45pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 149/12/11 at 8:00pmpost #3 of 149/12/11 at 9:11pmThread Starter
That also interesting. Thanks BotByte. Oh and I also forgot to note that I am very very interested in M50. Anyone recommend this can instead of anything mentioned above? Also I prefer not using any amp as I will be using them for traveling as well.
Edited by Jijaymon - 9/12/11 at 9:22pmpost #4 of 149/12/11 at 11:18pmThread Starterpost #5 of 149/12/11 at 11:29pmpost #6 of 149/13/11 at 12:37ampost #7 of 149/13/11 at 6:57amThread Starter
I was thinking of doing that dyl1dyl, but then I have issue getting a second hand I don't know why lol and some of the second hands still out of my budget. I want something bassy but it doesn't have to be as bassy as tma 1 for examplepost #8 of 149/13/11 at 8:25amQuote:
Ultrasone HFI 780
Shure SRH840 (& SRH750 DJ if you want more bass)
Fischer Audio FA-011 (& FA-002 for a more neutral approach)
Grado SR225i with G-Cush Pads
Very best,post #9 of 149/13/11 at 8:57amThread Starter
Thanks for the advice MalVeauX!! Now I am thinking about either M50 or SR225i or SRH840. Can you please tell me which one's better and explain it why?? Thank you so much :D oh and by the way why won't you recommend M50?
Edited by Jijaymon - 9/13/11 at 9:05ampost #10 of 149/14/11 at 2:52amQuote:
M50 has recessed mids, cramped sound stage, and is just not that exciting to listen to. It's a monitor. And honestly, not that great in my opinion for it's (these days) $150 price tag. If it were a $80 headphone, I'd likely consider it differently, but not at that price level it currently sells at. I automatically suggest the HFI 580 over it for every purpose since it's cheaper, does the same job, has slightly better sound (in my opinion), looks better, and has better sound stage. On that note, immediately jump to the HFI 780 for a more refined sound. The SRH840 is also a great neutral monitor, I would also go for it over the M50 for overall sound quality. The SR225i is an excellent headphone, very lively, energetic, can do great bass impact, and can be made to be comfortable with some G-Cush pads (but it's an open headphone so it will leak if that's a problem or not). It easily is the headphone I'd suggest over all these headphones in terms of just picking it up and never looking back. SR225i + G-Cush pads. Excellent for everything. But if you need closed, I'd look at the HFI 780 and SRH840 in the price range, over the M50.
Very best,post #11 of 149/15/11 at 6:57pmThread Starterpost #12 of 149/15/11 at 7:23pmpost #13 of 149/15/11 at 7:27pmThread Starterpost #14 of 149/15/11 at 7:29pmQuote:
They're not bad unamped, but they do sound much better when paired with a good amp.
- Please give me some advice buying new cans
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 4 seconds ago
- › [FS] Questyle QP1R 25 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 34 seconds ago
- › CanJam NYC 2017 (February 4-5, 2017) 41 seconds ago
- › ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Comparison: Cowon Plenue D Vs Sony NW-A35 1 minute ago
- › Popular Classical Music 3 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear