Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650s without an amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD650s without an amp

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

I have 300 dollars which I can stretch to 350 to get HD650s.

 

BUT, I do not have any money so for about a month or so, I will have to use the HD650s without an amp. Once I get the money, Ill get the E7/E9 amp/dac combo.

 

Would the HD650 + no amp sound better than the Beats Studios that I use now? (I'm sorry...)

post #2 of 27

You'll be all right. I'm sure you won't be struck down for not having an amp. I mean you won't be squeeze all the can has to offer but they'll none the less sound okay. In fact, I would actually go ahead and save just a little bit further for a better amp/dac combo so you'll actually be hearing what you paid for.

 

As for the Beats Studios, I have never heard them so I can't comment on that.

post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirt View Post

You'll be all right. I'm sure you won't be struck down for not having an amp. I mean you won't be squeeze all the can has to offer but they'll none the less sound okay. In fact, I would actually go ahead and save just a little bit further for a better amp/dac combo so you'll actually be hearing what you paid for.

 

As for the Beats Studios, I have never heard them so I can't comment on that.


Thanks! Is there a better set of cans I can get for around 350? (ruling out Denon AD2000)

 

post #4 of 27

TMA-1's have the same sort of sound, cost less and don't need any extra amping. I just sold a pair of HD650's and am now using a pair of the TMA-1's and actually enjoying them a whole lot. 

post #5 of 27

you can find those d2000 closer to $200. What type of music you listen to, what type of headphone do you prefer(open,closed, on-ear, over-ear)?

post #6 of 27

There are lots of options I'm sure. I'm no pro and I can only comment on the headphones I have heard already so:

 

Grado 325i are $371 on Ebay. I wasn't too impressed by them but I'm sure tons of  Head-Fi'ers would jump to recommend them.

 

Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohms are if you like a very transparent and neutral sound but for some songs the soundstage is so wide you'd think it's more people playing instruments at than music (assuming you don't listen to acoustic live things on it a lot you'll be okay). They also need some serious juice amp-wise. You can score one of those with the choice ugly grey or ugly gray for $299 on either Amazon or Ebay IDK which.

 

If you don't mind a HD650 with a little less bass, go with the HD600 for under $300 on Ebay (don't quote me on that one its a gross over generalization but they still sound very nice).

post #7 of 27

hehehe I got my Dt880 600ohm for $195 new on Amazon not that long ago (had to bust out the cheap***ness). To OP: If you dont want an awesome tube amp or something just get one of the lower ohm models and a normal home stereo or receiver can power them.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirt View Post

There are lots of options I'm sure. I'm no pro and I can only comment on the headphones I have heard already so:

 

Grado 325i are $371 on Ebay. I wasn't too impressed by them but I'm sure tons of  Head-Fi'ers would jump to recommend them.

 

Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohms are if you like a very transparent and neutral sound but for some songs the soundstage is so wide you'd think it's more people playing instruments at than music (assuming you don't listen to acoustic live things on it a lot you'll be okay). They also need some serious juice amp-wise. You can score one of those with the choice ugly grey or ugly gray for $299 on either Amazon or Ebay IDK which.

 

If you don't mind a HD650 with a little less bass, go with the HD600 for under $300 on Ebay (don't quote me on that one its a gross over generalization but they still sound very nice).



 

post #8 of 27

they will definitely sound better than the beats studio, the hd 650s arent too bad unamped, they still will not be as open or deliver the full sound of them with an amp, but they still will sound detailed and clean as any headphone in their price range. 

 

beats studio = muddy bloaty bass thats not well defined, very recessed mids and basically no highs.

 

sennheiser hd 650s unamped = clean but anemic bass (you can hear it still but without the impact). recessed mids ( nowhere near as bad as the beats). clean highs (low volume will make them hard to hear), the soundstage will be small as well as having an overall veiled sound. however, they WILL sound ALOT better than the beats still. its not as bad unamped as i make it sound like. however, there is a definitely degredation in sound quality.

 

sennheiser hd 650 amped = beats killer. bass is tight and well definied, will have good impact on songs with emphasis on bass (most rap, techno, etc), smooth and warm mids that are well balanced with the rest of the sound spectrum, clean highs that are definitely more relaxed and never bright. a good overall headphone that doesn't fall behind on any one criteria. 

 

 

note: portable amps by my experience are not powerful enough to power the hd 650s, you will hear in improvement in SQ but its slight and the volume will be barely noticeable. definitely consider purchasing a full size headphone amp.

post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

hehehe I got my Dt880 600ohm for $195 new on Amazon not that long ago (had to bust out the cheap***ness). To OP: If you dont want an awesome tube amp or something just get one of the lower ohm models and a normal home stereo or receiver can power them.
 



 

:( I do not have the money for a full amp. I have money for the E7/E9 combo :)

 

Would I just be better off with M50s?
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

they will definitely sound better than the beats studio, the hd 650s arent too bad unamped, they still will not be as open or deliver the full sound of them with an amp, but they still will sound detailed and clean as any headphone in their price range. 

 

beats studio = muddy bloaty bass thats not well defined, very recessed mids and basically no highs.

 

sennheiser hd 650s unamped = clean but anemic bass (you can hear it still but without the impact). recessed mids ( nowhere near as bad as the beats). clean highs (low volume will make them hard to hear), the soundstage will be small as well as having an overall veiled sound. however, they WILL sound ALOT better than the beats still. its not as bad unamped as i make it sound like. however, there is a definitely degredation in sound quality.

 

sennheiser hd 650 amped = beats killer. bass is tight and well definied, will have good impact on songs with emphasis on bass (most rap, techno, etc), smooth and warm mids that are well balanced with the rest of the sound spectrum, clean highs that are definitely more relaxed and never bright. a good overall headphone that doesn't fall behind on any one criteria. 

 

 

note: portable amps by my experience are not powerful enough to power the hd 650s, you will hear in improvement in SQ but its slight and the volume will be barely noticeable. definitely consider purchasing a full size headphone amp.



 

post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterX View Post



:( I do not have the money for a full amp. I have money for the E7/E9 combo :)

 

Would I just be better off with M50s?
 

 





 

Little Dot MKIII $194 USD same price as E7/E9 may even be cheaper. Alternatively, check out the for sale sections for even upper price ranges may be sold for your price range.
 

 

post #11 of 27

What type of music do you listen to?

post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

What type of music do you listen to?



Everything, sorry.

 

Edit: Can't find a Little Dot MKIII anywhere on amazon. I can only find it on their website with 59 dollar shipping...


Edited by FasterX - 9/12/11 at 4:55pm
post #13 of 27

Well the M50 is good at everything, kinda boring, worth every penny at $100. Now at $159 not so much, in my opinion you'd be better off with the Sony V6 which sound almost as good to me and are half the price. If I were you I would use that $159 for that e7/e9 combo that is going for $185 on amazon right now and get the better headphone HD600/HD650, one of the beyers, an ultrasone maybe.

Edit: Some Ultrasones dont really need an amp, I would get the HFI 780 over the M50


Edited by alv4426 - 9/12/11 at 5:03pm
post #14 of 27

That amp is great but that price is without shipping which is close to $50. I got mine used I recommend if you go this route you go used too
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirt View Post



Little Dot MKIII $194 USD same price as E7/E9 may even be cheaper. Alternatively, check out the for sale sections for even upper price ranges may be sold for your price range.
 

 


SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!!!!

 

post #15 of 27

Sell the Beats and buy a more powerful amp. wink.gif

just a thought. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650s without an amp