I am a beginner audiophile is what I'd like to call myself I need an amp because my htc sensation can not power my sr80is and they sound like crap. When i plug my computer speakers into my phone then plug the headphones into the speakers they sound louder and much better which made me believe its the phone. I am looking for something small that can fit in a pocket since i use public transportation to get to work and I use these or my porta pros. I wouldnt mind a very slight bass boost for the sr 80s but the koss dont need it. any suggestions on an amp? I listen to jazz nina simone, coltrane, r&b and rap and rock band rock. oh and the cheaper the better lol
Related Forum Threads
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 11/27/13 at 2:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E11 Review (and comparison E7 - amp section only) Last post on 2/23/13 at 10:58am in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC+O2 or Dacport LX+E11/cMoy for HE-400? Last post on 9/25/13 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I have no clue what amp or dac, or whatever, to get Last post on 9/29/12 at 11:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Portable Amp (help)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/11/11 at 9:22pm
Total Airhead from headphone.com
$150 ( comes with a DAC built in )
Total Bithead from headphone.com
These are both great portable amps which drive the SR-80's nicely. I let me lab mate at work borrow my Bithead and he loves it with this SR-80's.post #3 of 99/11/11 at 9:27pmThread Starterpost #4 of 99/11/11 at 9:35pmDoes your phone have USB output? If not, then the DAC won't be of any use to you... Unless you are going to use it from your computer as well?
I have a Total Airhead and it's been great over the years. I just broke it out the other day for fun and was pleasantly surprised that it still holds it's own. That said, if I had it to do over, I would have sprung for the Bithead just for some more flexibility.post #5 of 99/11/11 at 9:40pmThread Starter
No it doesnt have a usb out, but i read that it can run off of AAA batteries. I'm thinking about it because when Im in my office like now I do love to listen to my music and the ability to run usb powered is intriguing. I'm also looking at a Fiio e11 mainly for the price how do you feel that would stack up against the bithead?post #6 of 99/11/11 at 9:54pmpost #7 of 99/11/11 at 10:26pmThe more important function of the USB is to get the digital signal for sound and convert it to analog. This is the primary function of the DAC portion of the unit. Using the USB for power is just a convenient option.
With your phone it will have to be hooked up directly to the analog input of the amp so you won't get the benefit of the DAC, but it will still likely drive your headphones better. When you use it with your computer you can take advantage of using the DAC to convert the signal instead of the built in DAC in your computer, theoretically for better quality.
I haven't heard the e11 so I can't compare the two, but the Fiio products are well respected here at their price point. I have an E5 and would say that it only outperforms the airhead on price and size, I much prefer the airhead as an amp.post #8 of 99/12/11 at 9:47am
I highly recommend the iBasso D-Zero for $109. It has a very nice amp on it, better than the FiiO E7, a rechargeable battery that lasts 25+ hours in my testing and can also be used as a USB sound card for your desktop or laptop. Read my review in my signature for more details. I like it better than my Total Bithead even, especially for portable use, hell the Bithead and Airhead don't come close for portable use imo.
- Portable Amp (help)
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 seconds ago
- › Looking for a closed back tracking/recording headphone 13 seconds ago
- › Burson Conductor SL / Audeze LCD-3 Loaner Program Impression 22 seconds ago
- › Oyaide USB D+ Class (S) 480 Mbps Cable 29 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 16th 2013 and feature poll... 54 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Nexus 10 2nd Gen 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics A161p vs. Klipsch S4i 4 minutes ago
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe