I am a beginner audiophile is what I'd like to call myself I need an amp because my htc sensation can not power my sr80is and they sound like crap. When i plug my computer speakers into my phone then plug the headphones into the speakers they sound louder and much better which made me believe its the phone. I am looking for something small that can fit in a pocket since i use public transportation to get to work and I use these or my porta pros. I wouldnt mind a very slight bass boost for the sr 80s but the koss dont need it. any suggestions on an amp? I listen to jazz nina simone, coltrane, r&b and rap and rock band rock. oh and the cheaper the better lol
Related Forum Threads
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 12/30/16 at 5:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E11 Review (and comparison E7 - amp section only) Last post on 2/23/13 at 10:58am in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC+O2 or Dacport LX+E11/cMoy for HE-400? Last post on 8/22/14 at 6:26am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I have no clue what amp or dac, or whatever, to get Last post on 9/29/12 at 11:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
The introductionSony has recently just started to get back at the game to create portable players, and so they too wants something to stand for their Summit of inventions, technologies. ...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDAC2Price: $349 at amazon.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob.Power Connector: USB A, USB BBattery Life: N/AInputs: 1x USB...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: HRT Model: microStreamer Price: $169 at amazon.com Volume Control: Digitally-activated analog attenuator, no volume control on unit itself.Power Connector: USB, mini...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDSDPrice: $499 at musicdirect.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob (On/Off)Power Connector: USB 3.0 Male, USB 3.0...
Portable Amp (help)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/11/11 at 9:22pm
Total Airhead from headphone.com
$150 ( comes with a DAC built in )
Total Bithead from headphone.com
These are both great portable amps which drive the SR-80's nicely. I let me lab mate at work borrow my Bithead and he loves it with this SR-80's.post #3 of 99/11/11 at 9:27pmThread Starterpost #4 of 99/11/11 at 9:35pmDoes your phone have USB output? If not, then the DAC won't be of any use to you... Unless you are going to use it from your computer as well?
I have a Total Airhead and it's been great over the years. I just broke it out the other day for fun and was pleasantly surprised that it still holds it's own. That said, if I had it to do over, I would have sprung for the Bithead just for some more flexibility.post #5 of 99/11/11 at 9:40pmThread Starter
No it doesnt have a usb out, but i read that it can run off of AAA batteries. I'm thinking about it because when Im in my office like now I do love to listen to my music and the ability to run usb powered is intriguing. I'm also looking at a Fiio e11 mainly for the price how do you feel that would stack up against the bithead?post #6 of 99/11/11 at 9:54pmpost #7 of 99/11/11 at 10:26pmThe more important function of the USB is to get the digital signal for sound and convert it to analog. This is the primary function of the DAC portion of the unit. Using the USB for power is just a convenient option.
With your phone it will have to be hooked up directly to the analog input of the amp so you won't get the benefit of the DAC, but it will still likely drive your headphones better. When you use it with your computer you can take advantage of using the DAC to convert the signal instead of the built in DAC in your computer, theoretically for better quality.
I haven't heard the e11 so I can't compare the two, but the Fiio products are well respected here at their price point. I have an E5 and would say that it only outperforms the airhead on price and size, I much prefer the airhead as an amp.post #8 of 99/12/11 at 9:47am
I highly recommend the iBasso D-Zero for $109. It has a very nice amp on it, better than the FiiO E7, a rechargeable battery that lasts 25+ hours in my testing and can also be used as a USB sound card for your desktop or laptop. Read my review in my signature for more details. I like it better than my Total Bithead even, especially for portable use, hell the Bithead and Airhead don't come close for portable use imo.
- Portable Amp (help)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 1 second ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing between Vmoda Crossfade Wireless and B&W P7 2 minutes ago
- › Connect speakers to my amp/dac 2 minutes ago
- › Pittsburgh HeadPhile Meet! 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by Sil3nce
- › Focal Elear by ngoshawk
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by GhostPhantom
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear