I am a beginner audiophile is what I'd like to call myself I need an amp because my htc sensation can not power my sr80is and they sound like crap. When i plug my computer speakers into my phone then plug the headphones into the speakers they sound louder and much better which made me believe its the phone. I am looking for something small that can fit in a pocket since i use public transportation to get to work and I use these or my porta pros. I wouldnt mind a very slight bass boost for the sr 80s but the koss dont need it. any suggestions on an amp? I listen to jazz nina simone, coltrane, r&b and rap and rock band rock. oh and the cheaper the better lol
Related Forum Threads
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 10/7/15 at 6:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E11 Review (and comparison E7 - amp section only) Last post on 2/23/13 at 10:58am in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC+O2 or Dacport LX+E11/cMoy for HE-400? Last post on 8/22/14 at 6:26am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I have no clue what amp or dac, or whatever, to get Last post on 9/29/12 at 11:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
- Headphone Impedance
Portable Amp (help)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Total Airhead from headphone.com
$150 ( comes with a DAC built in )
Total Bithead from headphone.com
These are both great portable amps which drive the SR-80's nicely. I let me lab mate at work borrow my Bithead and he loves it with this SR-80's.
I have a Total Airhead and it's been great over the years. I just broke it out the other day for fun and was pleasantly surprised that it still holds it's own. That said, if I had it to do over, I would have sprung for the Bithead just for some more flexibility.
No it doesnt have a usb out, but i read that it can run off of AAA batteries. I'm thinking about it because when Im in my office like now I do love to listen to my music and the ability to run usb powered is intriguing. I'm also looking at a Fiio e11 mainly for the price how do you feel that would stack up against the bithead?
With your phone it will have to be hooked up directly to the analog input of the amp so you won't get the benefit of the DAC, but it will still likely drive your headphones better. When you use it with your computer you can take advantage of using the DAC to convert the signal instead of the built in DAC in your computer, theoretically for better quality.
I haven't heard the e11 so I can't compare the two, but the Fiio products are well respected here at their price point. I have an E5 and would say that it only outperforms the airhead on price and size, I much prefer the airhead as an amp.
I highly recommend the iBasso D-Zero for $109. It has a very nice amp on it, better than the FiiO E7, a rechargeable battery that lasts 25+ hours in my testing and can also be used as a USB sound card for your desktop or laptop. Read my review in my signature for more details. I like it better than my Total Bithead even, especially for portable use, hell the Bithead and Airhead don't come close for portable use imo.
- Portable Amp (help)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Geek Wave backers: Customer Happiness Survey (from a fellow backer) 1 minute ago
- › How important is impedance matching? ie. Is 1/5 ok? 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions And Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2