I've yet to have a headphone with a detatchable cable, but definitely would love one for drumming... My hd280s always get caught on my kit, not necessarily harful but annoying, a shorter cable would be so nice.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 3post #31 of 509/20/11 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 509/23/11 at 11:18amQuote:
The Beyerdynamic DT100 have a detachable cable, ive heard of people using these for drumming in the past.post #33 of 509/23/11 at 4:58pm
For portable headphones I definitely prefer having detachable cables. I love the AiAiAi TMA-1's design. It's a simple, very common 3.5mm to 3.5mm non locking cable, so you don't have to buy a fancy expensive replacement cable when pretty much anything will do. It's also very useful for use with speakers in a pinch. I had to connect my laptop and TV and used the TMA-1 cable for sound as I didn't have anything else. I really wish other headphone manufacturers would do the same.
For desktop headphones, I don't mind as much if the cable isn't detachable because I don't really beat up my desktop phones, which is why I didn't mind the AD900 not having a detachable cable. Plus, if they do break I wouldn't mind opening them up and soldering a new cable on anyways.post #34 of 509/23/11 at 5:53pmYup, I love the cable setup on the TMA-1's. Its just one more reason that this is a great headphone. Surely an awesome headphone well worth $160.
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.post #35 of 509/23/11 at 10:50pmQuote:
Thanks. Now I want them. A lot :( I guess I'll say goobye to my money in advance.post #36 of 501/24/12 at 2:20pm
Quote:Originally Posted by BotByte
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
Keep in mind that my dog is very large (when she stands she is a normal person's height) even as a puppy and can open drawers (and does). Since then she has successfully killed my DT-770s, my Sennheiser 238s, and the px100s. Since then I've been exclusively using IEMs since for whatever reason she doesn't seem to like them but even with this my new push has been to stick to IEMs with removable cables.
At any rate, I don't really blame her and basically knew what I was in for when I adopted a puppy.post #37 of 506/30/12 at 2:15ampost #38 of 504/26/14 at 11:53ampost #39 of 504/26/14 at 12:00pmpost #40 of 504/26/14 at 5:48pmpost #41 of 504/28/14 at 1:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod
No offense, but do you have any proof to back that up? Speakers have terminals inside and outside for different connections, and they have even higher requirements when it comes to power. I'm sure if it's done with proper wire gauge and resistance, and proper terminal connections it won't affect the signal.
Logic is the proof. Fused metal conducts better than metal that's just closely pushed together.post #42 of 504/28/14 at 2:33pmQuote:Conducting is conducting. A gold plate in direct contact with a wire is going to transfer electrons just as well as a solid wire. It won't affect the signal or power transfer, if it did no companies would even have the option to use one. By that logic the power cable for your amplifier is degrading sound quality.
Edit: Obviously there are situations where directly soldering is better, but headphones aren't a sensitive application. Like industrial situations. The transfer isn't going to be bad enough to affect the amount of power or signal it is transferring. This isn't a nuclear reactor, it's a basic audio device .
We should probably just agree to disagree, since neither of us have measurements as proof. I get where you're coming from with hard wiring though.
Edited by ToddTheMetalGod - 4/28/14 at 3:07pmpost #43 of 504/28/14 at 3:21pmpost #44 of 504/28/14 at 4:12pmpost #45 of 504/28/14 at 4:57pmQuote:The truth is I have recabled many headphones and can say from first hand experience that it the best way to do things and sounds best in my opinion.Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod
I agree that it's the best way to do things, but personally I don't think it makes an audible difference in sound quality. I'm always afraid that I'll get my cable caught on something and break the conductor, so I prefer removable cables (unless the cable is very sturdy of course).
There is a most definite difference as to wether you think it is better is a personal opinion. I guess unless you have tried it you wouldn't know. So many times wisdom would reserve a thought until they prove it by actually finding the truth by hearing it for them selves instead of just thinking it couldn't possibly be true because I don't think it makes sense.
I think alot of the new headphones have removable cables because people like something to fuss with. And others like making money off others mis conceptions. We have made things far more complicated then they need to be. Just some thoughts from someone old enough to have seen and made some mistakes of my own and see others doing the same.
Edited by cavedave - 4/28/14 at 4:59pm
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS 38 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 50 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange 3 minutes ago
- › K702 65th Anniversary Edition Pads - Pair 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 8 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...