I've yet to have a headphone with a detatchable cable, but definitely would love one for drumming... My hd280s always get caught on my kit, not necessarily harful but annoying, a shorter cable would be so nice.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 7/6/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Preface: Hearing the MSB Analog was a long overdue matter. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided it was a good time to do something about it, hence I got one from local dealer to have the...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 3post #31 of 509/20/11 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 509/23/11 at 11:18amQuote:
The Beyerdynamic DT100 have a detachable cable, ive heard of people using these for drumming in the past.post #33 of 509/23/11 at 4:58pm
For portable headphones I definitely prefer having detachable cables. I love the AiAiAi TMA-1's design. It's a simple, very common 3.5mm to 3.5mm non locking cable, so you don't have to buy a fancy expensive replacement cable when pretty much anything will do. It's also very useful for use with speakers in a pinch. I had to connect my laptop and TV and used the TMA-1 cable for sound as I didn't have anything else. I really wish other headphone manufacturers would do the same.
For desktop headphones, I don't mind as much if the cable isn't detachable because I don't really beat up my desktop phones, which is why I didn't mind the AD900 not having a detachable cable. Plus, if they do break I wouldn't mind opening them up and soldering a new cable on anyways.post #34 of 509/23/11 at 5:53pmYup, I love the cable setup on the TMA-1's. Its just one more reason that this is a great headphone. Surely an awesome headphone well worth $160.
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.post #35 of 509/23/11 at 10:50pmQuote:
Thanks. Now I want them. A lot :( I guess I'll say goobye to my money in advance.post #36 of 501/24/12 at 2:20pm
Quote:Originally Posted by BotByte
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
Keep in mind that my dog is very large (when she stands she is a normal person's height) even as a puppy and can open drawers (and does). Since then she has successfully killed my DT-770s, my Sennheiser 238s, and the px100s. Since then I've been exclusively using IEMs since for whatever reason she doesn't seem to like them but even with this my new push has been to stick to IEMs with removable cables.
At any rate, I don't really blame her and basically knew what I was in for when I adopted a puppy.post #37 of 506/30/12 at 2:15ampost #38 of 504/26/14 at 11:53ampost #39 of 504/26/14 at 12:00pmpost #40 of 504/26/14 at 5:48pmpost #41 of 504/28/14 at 1:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod
No offense, but do you have any proof to back that up? Speakers have terminals inside and outside for different connections, and they have even higher requirements when it comes to power. I'm sure if it's done with proper wire gauge and resistance, and proper terminal connections it won't affect the signal.
Logic is the proof. Fused metal conducts better than metal that's just closely pushed together.post #42 of 504/28/14 at 2:33pmQuote:Conducting is conducting. A gold plate in direct contact with a wire is going to transfer electrons just as well as a solid wire. It won't affect the signal or power transfer, if it did no companies would even have the option to use one. By that logic the power cable for your amplifier is degrading sound quality.
Edit: Obviously there are situations where directly soldering is better, but headphones aren't a sensitive application. Like industrial situations. The transfer isn't going to be bad enough to affect the amount of power or signal it is transferring. This isn't a nuclear reactor, it's a basic audio device .
We should probably just agree to disagree, since neither of us have measurements as proof. I get where you're coming from with hard wiring though.
Edited by ToddTheMetalGod - 4/28/14 at 3:07pmpost #43 of 504/28/14 at 3:21pmpost #44 of 504/28/14 at 4:12pmpost #45 of 504/28/14 at 4:57pmQuote:The truth is I have recabled many headphones and can say from first hand experience that it the best way to do things and sounds best in my opinion.Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod
I agree that it's the best way to do things, but personally I don't think it makes an audible difference in sound quality. I'm always afraid that I'll get my cable caught on something and break the conductor, so I prefer removable cables (unless the cable is very sturdy of course).
There is a most definite difference as to wether you think it is better is a personal opinion. I guess unless you have tried it you wouldn't know. So many times wisdom would reserve a thought until they prove it by actually finding the truth by hearing it for them selves instead of just thinking it couldn't possibly be true because I don't think it makes sense.
I think alot of the new headphones have removable cables because people like something to fuss with. And others like making money off others mis conceptions. We have made things far more complicated then they need to be. Just some thoughts from someone old enough to have seen and made some mistakes of my own and see others doing the same.
Edited by cavedave - 4/28/14 at 4:59pm
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 35 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 35 seconds ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 42 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 57 seconds ago
- › MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3) 1 minute ago
- › European Headphone Temporary Trading Club (Wanna try cans for... 2 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 2 minutes ago
- › Why are HD700's ~$500 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3