Those of you who don't see the value of replaceable cords on lower-mid range phones obviously don't have a teething puppy at home. She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord. Anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, easily driven open phones with replaceable cables?
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
Review Of The Remax RM-S1 IEM 06/28/16 So like many I'm not exactly into a super flat sound signature. I like some bass at times, actually pretty much all the time. I own flat...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 2post #16 of 509/19/11 at 12:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 509/19/11 at 12:25pmQuote:
She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord.
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
HD518 btwpost #18 of 509/19/11 at 12:32pm
I agree with the people who want detachable cables. I will tell you having detachable cables on my Shure SRH840 has been wonderful. Makes storing them easy. Plus i like knowing that if i need to replace the cable i can without any issues.post #19 of 509/19/11 at 12:38pm
Back to the original question, it does appear more and more manufacturers are implementing user-replaceable cables in their designs. There are a lot more options if you want detachable cables now compared to when I joined 3 or so years ago.post #20 of 509/19/11 at 1:22pmQuote:
The first time i ever heard of replaceable cables was actually with monster beats. I thought that was genius.post #21 of 509/19/11 at 1:31pmQuote:
Sell another cable.
Or sell another headphone?
That's the conversation they had at corporate...
I think all headphones should have detachable cables unless they're inexpensive and marketed at a price where replacement is inexpensive. But $100+ headphones should have detachable cables really, and while some do, not enough of them do. It should be easy to replace cables and switch to shorter ones, coiled, longer, etc, and frankly just to replace damaged cables. I had to replace the cable on my HD580 a few years ago, thank goodness you could do it for $18 instead of having to buy whole new headphones.
Very best,post #22 of 509/19/11 at 1:36pmpost #23 of 509/19/11 at 3:33pm
The K702 is one that makes good use of a detachable cable, a proper mini XLR rather than the Sennheiser plugs which as far as I know you cant buy them anywhere if you wanted to make your own cable, no problem with the mini XLR though.
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.post #24 of 509/19/11 at 5:47pm
The 70x's are nice in that they include two different length cables, but I would prefer that they had a 1/4" jack instead of the locking mini XLR. A 1/4" TRS would pull out readily if the cable were to get caught on something. I do believe that the mini XLR is going to prove more durable in the long run though.post #25 of 509/19/11 at 6:03pm
The SRH 940 package does come with a straight and coiled variant of its detachable cable and that makes a lot of sense for me as they are semi-portable in design. I just wish they did it earlier with the 840s.post #26 of 509/19/11 at 6:16pmpost #27 of 509/19/11 at 6:52pm
There's a straight cable sold as an aftermarket option for the SRH840. I got one last year because the coiled cable was making the phones feel too heavy.post #28 of 509/20/11 at 12:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Cliff-Samuels
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.
To be honest the only reason I never bought a T1 (it´s quite cheap here relatively speaking, 800 euros) is because of the lack of a detachable cord. My cat sometimes bites cords, so it´s just not something I can leave on my desk. My HD 650 has no such problem :)post #29 of 509/20/11 at 12:48ampost #30 of 509/20/11 at 2:55amQuote:
Yes for the price they cost it would have been nice having a mini XLR or similar, of course we could retro fit something but who in their right mind wants to mess around with a brand new pair of T1's, thats something you would do on a pair of HD201's, not headphones of this class.
I hope you cat doesnt take a liking to chewing power cables (ouch)
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 11 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 46 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 48 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 minute ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › New iRiver AK70 4 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 35 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for some decent IEMs around 100$ 5 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...