Those of you who don't see the value of replaceable cords on lower-mid range phones obviously don't have a teething puppy at home. She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord. Anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, easily driven open phones with replaceable cables?
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 2post #16 of 379/19/11 at 12:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 379/19/11 at 12:25pmQuote:
She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord.
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
HD518 btwpost #18 of 379/19/11 at 12:32pm
I agree with the people who want detachable cables. I will tell you having detachable cables on my Shure SRH840 has been wonderful. Makes storing them easy. Plus i like knowing that if i need to replace the cable i can without any issues.post #19 of 379/19/11 at 12:38pm
Back to the original question, it does appear more and more manufacturers are implementing user-replaceable cables in their designs. There are a lot more options if you want detachable cables now compared to when I joined 3 or so years ago.post #20 of 379/19/11 at 1:22pmQuote:
The first time i ever heard of replaceable cables was actually with monster beats. I thought that was genius.post #21 of 379/19/11 at 1:31pmQuote:
Sell another cable.
Or sell another headphone?
That's the conversation they had at corporate...
I think all headphones should have detachable cables unless they're inexpensive and marketed at a price where replacement is inexpensive. But $100+ headphones should have detachable cables really, and while some do, not enough of them do. It should be easy to replace cables and switch to shorter ones, coiled, longer, etc, and frankly just to replace damaged cables. I had to replace the cable on my HD580 a few years ago, thank goodness you could do it for $18 instead of having to buy whole new headphones.
Very best,post #22 of 379/19/11 at 1:36pmpost #23 of 379/19/11 at 3:33pm
The K702 is one that makes good use of a detachable cable, a proper mini XLR rather than the Sennheiser plugs which as far as I know you cant buy them anywhere if you wanted to make your own cable, no problem with the mini XLR though.
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.post #24 of 379/19/11 at 5:47pm
The 70x's are nice in that they include two different length cables, but I would prefer that they had a 1/4" jack instead of the locking mini XLR. A 1/4" TRS would pull out readily if the cable were to get caught on something. I do believe that the mini XLR is going to prove more durable in the long run though.post #25 of 379/19/11 at 6:03pm
The SRH 940 package does come with a straight and coiled variant of its detachable cable and that makes a lot of sense for me as they are semi-portable in design. I just wish they did it earlier with the 840s.post #26 of 379/19/11 at 6:16pmpost #27 of 379/19/11 at 6:52pm
There's a straight cable sold as an aftermarket option for the SRH840. I got one last year because the coiled cable was making the phones feel too heavy.post #28 of 379/20/11 at 12:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Cliff-Samuels
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.
To be honest the only reason I never bought a T1 (it´s quite cheap here relatively speaking, 800 euros) is because of the lack of a detachable cord. My cat sometimes bites cords, so it´s just not something I can leave on my desk. My HD 650 has no such problem :)post #29 of 379/20/11 at 12:48ampost #30 of 379/20/11 at 2:55amQuote:
Yes for the price they cost it would have been nice having a mini XLR or similar, of course we could retro fit something but who in their right mind wants to mess around with a brand new pair of T1's, thats something you would do on a pair of HD201's, not headphones of this class.
I hope you cat doesnt take a liking to chewing power cables (ouch)
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 24 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › Any suggestion, personal review, etc on these Sennheiser HD518 vs... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › SUPERLUX HD-330 VS HD-668B ! Little Review. 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude