Those of you who don't see the value of replaceable cords on lower-mid range phones obviously don't have a teething puppy at home. She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord. Anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, easily driven open phones with replaceable cables?
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
This is my first review on head-fi. I had humble beginnings in my path as an audiophile that only officially started once I got the wonderful AKG K550 and grew more conscious of the link between...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank RIVA Audio team for a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks to the original Jambox, going back a few years, wireless...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ It takes a lot of confidence to name your product after the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. If your going to honor the legendary mach 3+ strategic reconnaissance...
Every 6 months I've had the pleasure of talking to Shinobu Karaki of Aurorasound at the Tokyo headphone festivals. As an ex-Texas Instruments employee he has come up with some interesting...
For me, the Audeze EL-8Cs satisfy a long awaited two year search for a closed headphone that I can use at work that sound just as good as my home theater setup. I enjoy them so much, that I cannot...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 2post #16 of 509/19/11 at 12:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 509/19/11 at 12:25pmQuote:
She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord.
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
HD518 btwpost #18 of 509/19/11 at 12:32pm
I agree with the people who want detachable cables. I will tell you having detachable cables on my Shure SRH840 has been wonderful. Makes storing them easy. Plus i like knowing that if i need to replace the cable i can without any issues.post #19 of 509/19/11 at 12:38pm
Back to the original question, it does appear more and more manufacturers are implementing user-replaceable cables in their designs. There are a lot more options if you want detachable cables now compared to when I joined 3 or so years ago.post #20 of 509/19/11 at 1:22pmQuote:
The first time i ever heard of replaceable cables was actually with monster beats. I thought that was genius.post #21 of 509/19/11 at 1:31pmQuote:
Sell another cable.
Or sell another headphone?
That's the conversation they had at corporate...
I think all headphones should have detachable cables unless they're inexpensive and marketed at a price where replacement is inexpensive. But $100+ headphones should have detachable cables really, and while some do, not enough of them do. It should be easy to replace cables and switch to shorter ones, coiled, longer, etc, and frankly just to replace damaged cables. I had to replace the cable on my HD580 a few years ago, thank goodness you could do it for $18 instead of having to buy whole new headphones.
Very best,post #22 of 509/19/11 at 1:36pmpost #23 of 509/19/11 at 3:33pm
The K702 is one that makes good use of a detachable cable, a proper mini XLR rather than the Sennheiser plugs which as far as I know you cant buy them anywhere if you wanted to make your own cable, no problem with the mini XLR though.
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.post #24 of 509/19/11 at 5:47pm
The 70x's are nice in that they include two different length cables, but I would prefer that they had a 1/4" jack instead of the locking mini XLR. A 1/4" TRS would pull out readily if the cable were to get caught on something. I do believe that the mini XLR is going to prove more durable in the long run though.post #25 of 509/19/11 at 6:03pm
The SRH 940 package does come with a straight and coiled variant of its detachable cable and that makes a lot of sense for me as they are semi-portable in design. I just wish they did it earlier with the 840s.post #26 of 509/19/11 at 6:16pmpost #27 of 509/19/11 at 6:52pm
There's a straight cable sold as an aftermarket option for the SRH840. I got one last year because the coiled cable was making the phones feel too heavy.post #28 of 509/20/11 at 12:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Cliff-Samuels
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.
To be honest the only reason I never bought a T1 (it´s quite cheap here relatively speaking, 800 euros) is because of the lack of a detachable cord. My cat sometimes bites cords, so it´s just not something I can leave on my desk. My HD 650 has no such problem :)post #29 of 509/20/11 at 12:48ampost #30 of 509/20/11 at 2:55amQuote:
Yes for the price they cost it would have been nice having a mini XLR or similar, of course we could retro fit something but who in their right mind wants to mess around with a brand new pair of T1's, thats something you would do on a pair of HD201's, not headphones of this class.
I hope you cat doesnt take a liking to chewing power cables (ouch)
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 10 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Riva TurboX High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Black) by twister6
- › Ray Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable... by Stereocilia
- › Aurorasound HEADA Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Currawong
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by bearcat1986
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by YoYo JoKeR
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 by MrJohnny
- › Shure SE112m+-GR Sound Isolating Earphones with Remote + Microphone... by pformagg
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2