Those of you who don't see the value of replaceable cords on lower-mid range phones obviously don't have a teething puppy at home. She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord. Anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, easily driven open phones with replaceable cables?
- brandAKGtagged by System, 9/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 9/12/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/12/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 9/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- German Made Headphones Under $500 Last post on 9/17/11 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- RIP hifiman re0 (yes i am aware this is a full headphone thread)...sorry its long Last post on 8/20/10 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables? - Page 2post #16 of 509/19/11 at 12:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 509/19/11 at 12:25pmQuote:
She just killed the chord on my px100s. Given that this is a 30 second job for her I'm hesitant to replace them with anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable chord.
I'm sorry for this:
You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.
But that's me.
Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.
HD518 btwpost #18 of 509/19/11 at 12:32pm
I agree with the people who want detachable cables. I will tell you having detachable cables on my Shure SRH840 has been wonderful. Makes storing them easy. Plus i like knowing that if i need to replace the cable i can without any issues.post #19 of 509/19/11 at 12:38pm
Back to the original question, it does appear more and more manufacturers are implementing user-replaceable cables in their designs. There are a lot more options if you want detachable cables now compared to when I joined 3 or so years ago.post #20 of 509/19/11 at 1:22pmQuote:
The first time i ever heard of replaceable cables was actually with monster beats. I thought that was genius.post #21 of 509/19/11 at 1:31pmQuote:
Sell another cable.
Or sell another headphone?
That's the conversation they had at corporate...
I think all headphones should have detachable cables unless they're inexpensive and marketed at a price where replacement is inexpensive. But $100+ headphones should have detachable cables really, and while some do, not enough of them do. It should be easy to replace cables and switch to shorter ones, coiled, longer, etc, and frankly just to replace damaged cables. I had to replace the cable on my HD580 a few years ago, thank goodness you could do it for $18 instead of having to buy whole new headphones.
Very best,post #22 of 509/19/11 at 1:36pmpost #23 of 509/19/11 at 3:33pm
The K702 is one that makes good use of a detachable cable, a proper mini XLR rather than the Sennheiser plugs which as far as I know you cant buy them anywhere if you wanted to make your own cable, no problem with the mini XLR though.
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.post #24 of 509/19/11 at 5:47pm
The 70x's are nice in that they include two different length cables, but I would prefer that they had a 1/4" jack instead of the locking mini XLR. A 1/4" TRS would pull out readily if the cable were to get caught on something. I do believe that the mini XLR is going to prove more durable in the long run though.post #25 of 509/19/11 at 6:03pm
The SRH 940 package does come with a straight and coiled variant of its detachable cable and that makes a lot of sense for me as they are semi-portable in design. I just wish they did it earlier with the 840s.post #26 of 509/19/11 at 6:16pmpost #27 of 509/19/11 at 6:52pm
There's a straight cable sold as an aftermarket option for the SRH840. I got one last year because the coiled cable was making the phones feel too heavy.post #28 of 509/20/11 at 12:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Cliff-Samuels
I think the Beyerdynamic T1 should have also had something like the K702, a mini XLR or anything except a captive cable like it has, I have never worn out a cable in all my years of using many different headphones but there is something nicer about one that is detachable, it makes trying different cables a breeze, where as with the T1's I wouldnt want to get a screwdriver out & start tinkering with those.
To be honest the only reason I never bought a T1 (it´s quite cheap here relatively speaking, 800 euros) is because of the lack of a detachable cord. My cat sometimes bites cords, so it´s just not something I can leave on my desk. My HD 650 has no such problem :)post #29 of 509/20/11 at 12:48ampost #30 of 509/20/11 at 2:55amQuote:
Yes for the price they cost it would have been nice having a mini XLR or similar, of course we could retro fit something but who in their right mind wants to mess around with a brand new pair of T1's, thats something you would do on a pair of HD201's, not headphones of this class.
I hope you cat doesnt take a liking to chewing power cables (ouch)
- Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › fiio x5 ii lineout plug signal weaker than headphone jack symbol? 5 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 35 seconds ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Create playlists for X1 Fiio 3 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 3 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Best Computer Audio Player Software? 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear