Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Open-back phones for music creation at home
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open-back phones for music creation at home

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hi all, my first post here. I've read all I could find and posted questions about this on Gearslutz, but thought I'd come straight to the source (which was recommended there anyway).

 

My housing situation dictates that I pretty much have to use my own bedroom for composing/mixing, and my project is heavily 70's-influenced, with some dance-y parts, so although I am not too concerned with subsonic bass, it wouldn't hurt either. I am mostly looking for the most accurate phones under $250 for critical listening, and not so much for enjoyment.

 

I originally narrowed my picks down to the K701/702 and DT880's, but had to drop the AKG's due to complaints about "pain bumps" (long night session comfort is important to me, as well as heat dissipation, hence open-back), but more importantly, because I do not use animal products, laugh if you will. The Beyers on the other hand, seem great, but many mention their harsh high end, so I am hesitant. Someone pointed me to the Denon AHD2000, and Dave Rat's comparison on youtube seems to confirm them being very adequate for the job. Still, they are closed, and also, I'd like to hear more pros and cons for either.

 

If anything, I may go for those and pick a cheaper open back pair as a second reference. Heck, I may like it enough as it is, who knows. Presently, I am considering the AKG K240 (studio or mkII) vs ATH-AD700, and would appreciate any and all input. I've seen the AT's referred to as "anemic" and such, but please keep in mind my application for them, which might be different from those seeking pleasure. Overall, I am leaning toward the 240's, but could someone please clarify what material the headband on those is made of? I am hoping that them being cheaper, it's some sort of synthetic.

 

Forgot to mention, that I will be using them with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface, which also made me hesitant toward the Beyers and 70x's - as it may not drive them adequately?

Thanks in advance!


Edited by MikeN - 9/11/11 at 4:50pm
post #2 of 10

My buddy who has like 3 different electronic bands uses the k-240's. I'll talk to him next time he's on MSN and ask him some of the questions you have.

post #3 of 10

AD700's are good also don't need a amp

K701's are great, but need a amp badly

 

Mostly, you want a neutral can. Some can disagree and fight about it. But I would say look at some MDR-7509HD.

They are closed and very neutral headphone that don't need a amp.

 

I say buy a closed because when making and editing music, it's best to isolate the sounds to hear them better. Then you can monitor the audio later on a open headphone.

 

 

But, it's your choice. DT880's are nice too, make sure to get the 32ohms version to go without a amp.

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ10 View Post

My buddy who has like 3 different electronic bands uses the k-240's. I'll talk to him next time he's on MSN and ask him some of the questions you have.



Thanks Jason, much obliged! Please let me know what you find. The 240 seems like the best fit for me overall so far.. as long as it's animal-free.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

AD700's are good also don't need a amp

K701's are great, but need a amp badly

 

Mostly, you want a neutral can. Some can disagree and fight about it. But I would say look at some MDR-7509HD.

They are closed and very neutral headphone that don't need a amp.

 

I say buy a closed because when making and editing music, it's best to isolate the sounds to hear them better. Then you can monitor the audio later on a open headphone.

 

 

But, it's your choice. DT880's are nice too, make sure to get the 32ohms version to go without a amp.


Thanks BotByte, I have certainly considered all of these. I can't go with the k70x's as you know, and what you say about the AD700's, sounds reassuring. I used to have a Sony V6, and liked it, but I definitely want to try open-back this time, especially since I may be getting a closed-back denon anyway. As for the 880's, I've read that they are very current-hungry regardless of impedance, so kinda on the fence there.

 

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post


Thanks BotByte, I have certainly considered all of these. I can't go with the k70x's as you know, and what you say about the AD700's, sounds reassuring. I used to have a Sony V6, and liked it, but I definitely want to try open-back this time, especially since I may be getting a closed-back denon anyway. As for the 880's, I've read that they are very current-hungry regardless of impedance, so kinda on the fence there.

 



There's not a big difference of open/closed. It's not like there is a reason people choose open or closed.

post #6 of 10

Take the 702s and cut the bumps. Or just put some felt over...but first you'll need to try out for yourself. k701smile.gif 

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post





There's not a big difference of open/closed. It's not like there is a reason people choose open or closed.



My family keeps the place WAY too warm for my liking as it is, so anything I can do to reduce the heat on my head the better :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

Take the 702s and cut the bumps. Or just put some felt over...but first you'll need to try out for yourself. k701smile.gif



Thanks Acix, I've read a bunch of your posts here, you seem to be quite the authority on those for sure. Unfortunately, it's not the bumps that I'm mostly concerned with, but the piece of dead cow attached compliments of AKG... so looking for the closest thing without that. And the fact that I can't use a dedicated amp.


Edited by MikeN - 9/11/11 at 6:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post

 

Thanks Acix, I've read a bunch of your posts here, you seem to be quite the authority on those for sure. Unfortunately, it's not the bumps that I'm mostly concerned with, but the piece of dead cow attached compliments of AKG... so looking for the closest thing without that. And the fact that I can't use a dedicated amp.


Well... I think I'll go for a good steak.

 

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post




Well... I think I'll go for a good steak.

 



Thanks for the info. Don't forget to chase it with some juicy ham.


Edited by MikeN - 9/11/11 at 8:38pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

There's not a big difference of open/closed. It's not like there is a reason people choose open or closed.


Heat and isolation are two big factors in deciding on open vs closed.

 

Closed headphones also tend to produce midbass and treble humps, and have extended resonance in the bass (which some people like, but you want to avoid for mixing and gaming).

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Open-back phones for music creation at home