Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 150

post #2236 of 2271

To follow up and for whoever it might help : 

 

THe Koss ProDJ100 works beautifully well with the O2 amp and HiFiMeDIY Sabre Dac. Its a superb system and matches up great. Much better soundstage with the DAC, which is remarkable for 40$. I wouldn't recommend the DAC alone, as it sounds much better on low volume, the O2 complements that part. Now for M50 replacement pads!

post #2237 of 2271

Halo! Casual listener here. :)  A little over a year ago, I bought a pair of TBSE1's thanks to your DJ100 review on amazon. The best and most expensive headphones I'd had prior to these were my PortaPro's. I must confess that the main reason I went with these was because they're cheap and have the replaceable cable(an absolute must after my experience with PortaPro's)

 

One funny thing I noticed is that the amount of hair I have seems to have a significant effect on their sound -- at least with stock pads. When I first got mine, I had a bit of a mini-fro going on. As a result, I felt that the bass on these things was awfully weak -- weaker than the Portapros, even. Overall, I really liked them, and I really appreciate the wider soundstage. I just ended up using an EQ to increase the bass, but too often that would damage the clarity in some other way. Well, I finally got a haircut 6 months afterwards, and I was amazed! It was as though I had a brand new pair of headphones! In fact, the bass became almost overwhelming, and that wonderful clarity I was enjoying before has become slightly more muddled sounding.

 

Which leads me to today. I just now finally ordered some M50 pads to go with them. They sound like they might be exactly what I'm looking for. I got mine from Amazon, though, and I just now noticed that the sellers name is "Audio-technical." How could I have missed that? Now I'm worried that they're not OEM... The amazon reviews a Q&A give mixed answers, but from the pictures they look identical to the ones listed on sweetwater. I just don't know. Hope I didn't just blow $20 for nothing.

 

I've also noticed that my TBSE1's sound clearer in more or less every way through my desktop than my Galaxy S4. I suppose an amp should solve this issue, but I just keep putting it off. Just can't decide which one to buy, and I haven't even touched on DAC's yet.

post #2238 of 2271

The PortaPro's are a little bassy compared to other heaphones. When u cut your hair ur ears gets closer to the driver, that's why u get more bass and a more intimate sound (less airy).

post #2239 of 2271

Anyone knows where I can find a good pair of ear pads for $15 or less? 

post #2240 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyp View Post
 

Anyone knows where I can find a good pair of ear pads for $15 or less? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Velour-Ear-pads-cushion-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-M40-ATH-M50-ATH-DJ-Headphones-/171442474711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27eac48ed7

 

I love velour pads, and I may get a set for my DJ200s.  If you're not down for the fuzzy, the factory ATH-M50 pads are supposed to be a considerable upgrade on the stock ones.  Koss will sell you the stock ones themselves for $5.

post #2241 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK1977 View Post
 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Velour-Ear-pads-cushion-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-M40-ATH-M50-ATH-DJ-Headphones-/171442474711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27eac48ed7

 

I love velour pads, and I may get a set for my DJ200s.  If you're not down for the fuzzy, the factory ATH-M50 pads are supposed to be a considerable upgrade on the stock ones.  Koss will sell you the stock ones themselves for $5.

so should I get this

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Velour-Ear-pads-cushion-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-M40-ATH-M50-ATH-DJ-Headphones-/171442474711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27eac48ed7

 

or should I get this:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Replacement-Ear-pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-M50S-Headphone-Foam-Cushions-/201017119144?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ecd8dd1a8

post #2242 of 2271

I didn't suggest those because they're so much more than your $15 request, but there are plenty of pleather fakes for that model on eBay that are less than $10.  The postings here suggest that those real ones will even make it sound better, so you might consider them.

post #2243 of 2271

So I've had these Koss DJ100s (stock pads) for about three years with my headroom total airhead amp, but I haven't noticed much improvement with or without the amp with my rockboxed sansa clip zip (with latest firmware and flac source material). For those who are unfamiliar with the clip zip, it is the newer model of the sansa clip+ with basically the same hardware and is able to drive these headphones well.

 

I also have the Panasonic RP-HTX7 and had a hard time discerning the difference between these two. Both have a good amount a bass behind them and produce good listening experiences. Perhaps, I just don't know what to look for in order to figure out what makes these two headphones different.

 

On a positive note, I still prefer these headphones to anything else. I listen to a lot of alternative rock, house, electro house, and fair share of j-pop.  At the moment, I'm looking to improve upon these headphones since I know there is probably a lot of untapped potential in these headphones.

 

1. Would a DAC make my music experience better and which one would be best suited for these headphones?

2. All all DACs the same or are some better than others?
3. Are the M50 pads truly superior than than the auray velour pads? I'm looking to not replace pads that much.

4. Although unrelated to these headphones, would flac make any difference vs 320kbs VBR mp3?

 

Links would be nice too.

post #2244 of 2271
@sunfizz98

The biggest change of the things you ask about would be changing the pads. If you're not going to do that I honestly wouldn't bother with the other stuff either. Just my 2c.
post #2245 of 2271
I was thinking about buying some velour pads to avoid the issue of them getting hard. It is just that m50 pads get hyped a lot more than velour.
post #2246 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfizz98 View Post
 

So I've had these Koss DJ100s (stock pads) for about three years with my headroom total airhead amp, but I haven't noticed much improvement with or without the amp with my rockboxed sansa clip zip (with latest firmware and flac source material). For those who are unfamiliar with the clip zip, it is the newer model of the sansa clip+ with basically the same hardware and is able to drive these headphones well.

 

I also have the Panasonic RP-HTX7 and had a hard time discerning the difference between these two. Both have a good amount a bass behind them and produce good listening experiences. Perhaps, I just don't know what to look for in order to figure out what makes these two headphones different.

 

On a positive note, I still prefer these headphones to anything else. I listen to a lot of alternative rock, house, electro house, and fair share of j-pop.  At the moment, I'm looking to improve upon these headphones since I know there is probably a lot of untapped potential in these headphones.

 

1. Would a DAC make my music experience better and which one would be best suited for these headphones?

2. All all DACs the same or are some better than others?
3. Are the M50 pads truly superior than than the auray velour pads? I'm looking to not replace pads that much.

4. Although unrelated to these headphones, would flac make any difference vs 320kbs VBR mp3?

 

Links would be nice too.

The biggest difference in sound quality would simply be upgrading your headphones. I feel like my ProDJ100's are the only headphones that sound slightly different (little bit more bass, softer treble) when switching from my Galaxy S3 to Xonar DG/Asgard.

 

FLAC makes a difference, but very little. I have only been able to tell in big orchestral recordings. It's really all about what YOU hear.

post #2247 of 2271

Hi All,

I've ordered the TBSE1 and will write my impressions when they arrive.

I have a question. Titanium coated drivers are being mentioned in this thread, but not in Koss website. Can someone point me to a page where it is written, that Dj100/ TB use titanium drivers? A picture of the driver would be also appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

 

p.s. Hope I will like those TBSE1's :)

post #2248 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperxp View Post

Hi All,



I've ordered the TBSE1 and will write my impressions when they arrive.



I have a question. Titanium coated drivers are being mentioned in this thread, but not in Koss website. Can someone point me to a page where it is written, that Dj100/ TB use titanium drivers? A picture of the driver would be also appreciated.



Thanks a lot.



 



p.s. Hope I will like those TBSE1's smily_headphones1.gif


 



I don't believe the DJ100 uses ti coated drivers. I believe it is only the ksc75 and ktxpro1 which use the titanium coated drivers.

Also, this is a closed design as you know, so it is going to sound very different from their open designs, regardless of whether the drivers are ti-coated or not (they are not).
post #2249 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by music101 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperxp View Post
 

Hi All,

 

I've ordered the TBSE1 and will write my impressions when they arrive.

 

I have a question. Titanium coated drivers are being mentioned in this thread, but not in Koss website. Can someone point me to a page where it is written, that Dj100/ TB use titanium drivers? A picture of the driver would be also appreciated.

 

Thanks a lot.

 

 

 

p.s. Hope I will like those TBSE1's smily_headphones1.gif

 



I don't believe the DJ100 uses ti coated drivers. I believe it is only the ksc75 and ktxpro1 which use the titanium coated drivers.

Also, this is a closed design as you know, so it is going to sound very different from their open designs, regardless of whether the drivers are ti-coated or not (they are not).

Yes, I figured it out. I will write a detailed post here when I get them.


Edited by viperxp - 9/15/14 at 11:20pm
post #2250 of 2271

Well, I received a pair of TBSE1's.

Out of the package they sound well. I did not have too much time for deeply analizing all the pro's and con's of the sound, but out of headphone output of my Lenovo T430 they sound really well, there is a decent amound of bass,mids and treble. I did not put the velour pads yet, the stock pads are not as bad as I thought they would. I has M50 before, the stock TBSE1 pads don't seem to be much shallower. Overall I am pleased, will write more detailed review later.

Thanks for this topic, I feel that I wisely spent my money.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King