Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 134

post #1996 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
 

Over the weekend, I have pulled the trigger and ordered DJ100s from Amazon.

 

Thanks to all who replied.

Tell us what you think when you get them. 

post #1997 of 2249

I got the cans yesterday. They have pretty good build quality and are comfortable. Sound is good (for $42 anyway). Very easy going without being too bass heavy or killing you with super clean highs. They are a lot different than the AKG K240s that I also have. Coming from AKGs, the clamping force on the Koss cans is kinda strong but I guess that will get better with age. One very minor issue is, that because of the rotating ear cups, the headband usually do not position itself correctly. But like I said, this is very minor. So far I did about 2 hours worth of listening on those brand new headphones and I am very satisfied with the purchase. The length of the coiled cord is perfect to use with mobile devices and laptops. No need to use velcro to shorten the cord.

post #1998 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
 

I got the cans yesterday. They have pretty good build quality and are comfortable. Sound is good (for $42 anyway). Very easy going without being too bass heavy or killing you with super clean highs. They are a lot different than the AKG K240s that I also have. Coming from AKGs, the clamping force on the Koss cans is kinda strong but I guess that will get better with age. One very minor issue is, that because of the rotating ear cups, the headband usually do not position itself correctly. But like I said, this is very minor. So far I did about 2 hours worth of listening on those brand new headphones and I am very satisfied with the purchase. The length of the coiled cord is perfect to use with mobile devices and laptops. No need to use velcro to shorten the cord.

I find them to be my most uncomfortable headphones actually :o

post #1999 of 2249
Thread Starter 

I have no way to really confirm it, but I've been swapping between the DJ100 with M50 pads and my Tony Bennett version with M50 pads.

It does feel as if the Tony Bennett version has slightly more treble and a slightly more open soundstage. The TB seems to do a slightly better job with anything that requires a large soundstage such as acoustic music or classical.

The CD "Buena Vista Social Club" sounds much more spacious sounding on the TB for whatever reason.

The DJ100 might be a little fuller in the low mids, but not sure really. It just sounds a tad more closed in.

 

My idea is that the TB/DJ200 use a better measuring/higher quality DJ100 driver. Kind of like the K712 vs Q701 driver.

 

Now..I could be wrong or it could be different variations between pairs but this is what I heard.

 

When I heard these differences I was using my Modi to O2.

 

I personally want a TB/DJ200 clone with a redesign that has some amazingn stock pads. Perhaps with memory foam or something.

Something less portable would be fine.

 

An open DJ200/TB clone that's amazing for gaming would be perfect. Getting a DJ200 type sound in an open headphone might be tricky.

 

Sometime I need to compare the TB version to the DJ200. I just assumed the DJ200 was identical to the TB, but maybe it's even better than that! Always possible I guess.

 

I wonder if "Tuesday Morning" still has some TBs in stock.

 

EDIT: BTW I'd say if there is any difference it's very minor. Maybe less than a 5% difference.


Edited by tdockweiler - 1/31/14 at 10:22pm
post #2000 of 2249
If you're using the fiio x3 and haven't already set it to high gain with the dj100s, do. It makes a big difference. Everything is crisper and more impactful.
post #2001 of 2249
What's a good upgrade from these. Something that is similarly portable and rugged but with better sound. Something we'll balanced with a slight warm tinge and a good sound stage. < $200.
post #2002 of 2249

How long is the burn in on these?

post #2003 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Jones View Post

What's a good upgrade from these. Something that is similarly portable and rugged but with better sound. Something we'll balanced with a slight warm tinge and a good sound stage. < $200.

 

As an upgrade for $200? Nothing i've found. I wish. I've been trying to find MY closed DJ100 killer for 3 years.

 

The only thing that has come close is the HD-650 and the bass modded Q701 but those are open. Q701 can be had for $200 used if you're lucky though.

 

Anything that gets close to the DJ100's sound that's closed usually has rolled off low-bass, too much mid-bass or too much sub-bass.

 

SRH-840 and the newest M50 are not too bad, but more of a side-grade.

post #2004 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

As an upgrade for $200? Nothing i've found. I wish. I've been trying to find MY closed DJ100 killer for 3 years.

 

The only thing that has come close is the HD-650 and the bass modded Q701 but those are open. Q701 can be had for $200 used if you're lucky though.

 

Anything that gets close to the DJ100's sound that's closed usually has rolled off low-bass, too much mid-bass or too much sub-bass.

 

SRH-840 and the newest M50 are not too bad, but more of a side-grade.

Hey, Q701 Amazon Warehouse deal is currently at $160 and a new one is $199 as of the past few weeks.

post #2005 of 2249

Just bought a pair of these as a beater for travel.

 

Sounds a bit thin out of the box - do these change meaningfully with burn in?

post #2006 of 2249

Mine changed a lot after burn in with pink noise and frequency sweeps. These are what I used

http://www.head-fi.org/t/466827/free-burn-in-files

post #2007 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrikTheTroll View Post
 

Just bought a pair of these as a beater for travel.

 

Sounds a bit thin out of the box - do these change meaningfully with burn in?

Not really, for me. But an amp helps. 

post #2008 of 2249

Can anyone compare the bass of the DJ100 to Q701? 

 

Also, is the Q701 just as revealing? or even worse? 

post #2009 of 2249

Got my Q701 in and the DJ100 sounds like a baby Q701 to me. 

post #2010 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Can anyone compare the bass of the DJ100 to Q701? 

 

Also, is the Q701 just as revealing? or even worse? 

 

The low bass of the DJ100/TB with M50 pads is definitely more present than on the modded Q701 and even the HD-650. I was testing them last night while watching some action movies with my main setup in the bedroom. It was almost like the modded Q701 was missing VERY low bass stuff that should be there, but still pretty good since it's open! The K400..now that was just pathetic and it must roll off at 100hz or something.

 

I actually think the DJ100 has better low bass than people give it credit for. To me it's mostly neutral in the low bass areas. I don't hear any sort of bass emphasis in any area at all with my DJ100/TB. No mid-bass hump to me.

 

You can actually pick up all sorts of low bass material in even acoustic songs that don't even register on the 650 or Q701. They're there also on the KRKs which also have good low bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Got my Q701 in and the DJ100 sounds like a baby Q701 to me. 

 

I was actually thinking that my HD-650, Q701 and Tony Bennett with M50 pads all sound very very close in sound. Of course this is with the DJ100 hooked up to my Micro Amp which costs $350 and is kind of overkill for a $50 headphone! I think it's just that they're all accurate and not that colored. To my ears the HD-650 has the most coloration, but just slightly due to the slightly tamed treble and warmer sound.

 

For me the TB with M50 pads is closer to the HD-650. I would say it's more like a mix between the HD-650 and the K702!!

 

The TB with M50 pads sounds like a modded Q701 with slightly more low bass presence, fuller mids, smoother treble and often sounds a little clearer than both. I think it's only due to being closed or something. Can't really compare the soundstage differences since the Q701 has the advantage there. The TB/DJ100 still manages to impress me with the Buena Vista Social Club even compared to the Q701. M50 pads are a must for that CD though to my ears.

 

The TB with M50 pads is closer in overall warmth and fullness to my HD-650 than the modded Q701. When I kept swapping between the 650 and my TB, the TB just sounded a bit clearer and more detailed.

 

K712 vs the TB with M50 pads would be a really nice comparison. I think the TB will still sound warmer and smoother though..

 

Oh yeah.. the TB/DJ100 does get fuller sounding with a really good amp. Out of my Ipod Touch it can sound a bit thinner and not as smooth sounding.

Like the Q701, the output impedance of the amp doesn't seem to bother the DJ100 much for whatever reason.

 

DJ100 sounds great with the O2, E9, E17 and especially my Micro Amp..

 

I know this may sound nuts to people, but overall I find the DJ100 more revealing than the HD-650/Q701. Now this entirely depends on the DAC/Amp. Everytime I upgraded my gear I could "hear" the changes with my DJ100. What's funny is that I can even hear my MOV based surge protector crapping up the audio of my DJ100 and on my other headphones it's impossible. The Q701 is definitely more airy and there's a few things on it that you can often hear more easily. There is stuff I can only hear on my DJ100 and nothing else. I don't know if it's just because it's closed or what. IMO the Q701 was never much of a detail monster to me to begin with, but very close. That's more like the DT-880, KRKs and the T90. DJ100 is definitely no DT-880 when it comes to how revealing it is though.

 

It does make some harsh stuff easier on the ears, but I wouldn't say it's coloring the music much. It just has smooth treble to me and it's good for harsh Jpop etc.


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/1/14 at 10:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King