It'd be great if the Alpha Pads from Mr. Speakers fit these - pads that cost equal or more than the headphone for the win!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony Pro MDR-7506 Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New pads for Koss pro dj100?? Last post on 8/21/15 at 1:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- US$275 Budget advice: Koss Pro DJ100 vs Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony ZX700 + Amp for B'day present... Last post on 1/12/12 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone for my wife in the $50 to $100 price Last post on 3/31/13 at 8:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass Last post on 9/11/12 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 130post #1936 of 23208/15/13 at 10:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1937 of 23208/15/13 at 10:43pmpost #1938 of 23208/16/13 at 1:02pmpost #1939 of 23208/16/13 at 5:08pmThread Starter
Still trying to figure out these SRH-440 pads. I love how it spaces everything out more. Majorly improved soundstaging and even more so with a good computer DAC. Some acoustic music makes it feel like you're listing to an open headphone with the SRH-440 pads. You never get that with the stock pads really.
There is a major variation in how each recording sounds with these pads. Hard to know what's going on. Some songs are thin/bright and others are sort of muffled/too warm. Others have the perfect amount of warmth. It feels like the DJ100 with these pads isn't adding much of it's own warmth like the stock pads tend to do (just a little).
Sort of gives it more of a studio monitor like feel with these pads.If your song doesn't have much warmth the pads+dj100 won't add any really. I get that sort of thing a lot on my K400. There's also some tracks i've heard dozens of times where I can now hear recording hiss or some sort of static.
Cantopop music sounds especially bad at times. Well recorded music sounds perfectly smooth almost always. These pads make the DJ100 almost unforgiving with crappy material. I guess that was a plus with the stock pads. Tracks with weird peaks were a bit easier on the ears.
I put some HD-650 foam inside the pads and that brought back a little more bass and warmth. I don't know if I could suggest the SRH-440 pads without some foam backing. Probably would make it sound too close to an SRH-940 or KRK KNS-8400.
I guess M50 pads might be better perhaps. They offer the same benefits of the SRH-440 pads but still retain the stock bass (IMO) and still have a decent amount of warmth. SRH-440 pads seem to have more depth though compared to M50 pads.
I've also found I prefer the E17 DAC (amp disabled) to the Schiit Modi for the DJ100. E17 is a little fuller sounding but has a smaller soundstage. I don't think the E17 is that warm though.
I may try some Razor pads but $22 or so shipped. SRH-440 pads would be PERFECT if you had M50 foam backing.post #1940 of 23208/19/13 at 4:58pmpost #1941 of 23208/26/13 at 10:07pmQuote:
If the 840 pads fits both Mad Dog and DJ100, shouldn't the Alpha pads fit DJ100 more or less?post #1942 of 23208/27/13 at 9:12amThread StarterQuote:
I'd buy some to try but they're out of stock until the 15th of Sept.
They almost look like Brainwavz HM5 pads. Those I didn't really like on the DJ100 at all...
What i'd like to find is some velour M50 pads.post #1943 of 23208/28/13 at 11:12pmpost #1944 of 23208/29/13 at 8:07amQuote:
There are some M50 knock off's on ebay that have foam inserts that slide in and out, Maybe would work with the 440's?
Edited by Magicman74 - 8/29/13 at 8:08ampost #1945 of 23208/29/13 at 8:12am
The M50 is the "Safe Bet", Swapping pads around is more of a taste issue where the M50's pretty much are a must.post #1946 of 23208/29/13 at 11:41amThread StarterQuote:
I agree. I just wish M50 pads didn't get hard after a few months.
I also liked the Pearstone/Auray Velour pads with some holes poked into them, but this is a waste of time/money for most people.
They did make the DJ100 sound warmer than even the HD-650 though. Not like congested or muffled sounding though.
Unfortunately the Auray pads are not as roomy as M50 pads.
BTW if anyone is interested..I'm not longer using the SRH-440 pads. They do reduce the bass more than I'd like.
Without M50 pads I just don't listen to the DJ100 as much. Unfortunately there is no way to fix M50 pads once they go hard.
When I buy some more I will store my DJ100 in a case away from the air.
EDIT: I wish Koss did an actual redesign of the DJ100 to make the pads deeper and without round cups. Have it sound like the DJ100 + M50 pads. They also should remove the DJ label.
Edited by tdockweiler - 8/29/13 at 11:44ampost #1947 of 23208/29/13 at 8:51pm
so I'm thinking of buying the m50 pads soon and pairing this with my micro amp. Problem is, I used to have an itouch4g that was stolen...so now I don't really have an LOD to connect to the amp. Word is that the itouch5g (which i have) outputs sounds really well already. Should I just connect the amp through the headphone port or should I get the lightning to 30pin adapter >LOD>amp>Koss set up?post #1948 of 23208/29/13 at 10:48pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Tekniqs
so I'm thinking of buying the m50 pads soon and pairing this with my micro amp. Problem is, I used to have an itouch4g that was stolen...so now I don't really have an LOD to connect to the amp. Word is that the itouch5g (which i have) outputs sounds really well already. Should I just connect the amp through the headphone port or should I get the lightning to 30pin adapter >LOD>amp>Koss set up?
I wouldn't suggest the headphone out to Micro but to me it doesn't sound like it degrades things too much. The Fiio LOD cable is super cheap so I'd just suggest getting another.
BTW I think the Micro is comparable to the O2 (and even better possibly). I have both and use the O2 in the bedroom.
I'm also confused, but why would you need a lightning to 30 pin adaptor for the Ipod Touch 5G. New line out or something? I must be outdated..
EDIT: I just found an answer for myself. Yikes, different connector on the Ipod Touch 5G. No thanks.
Cost of an adapter is listed as $39. Yikes! For just $10-$20 more you could get a refurbished/used Fiio E7.
Edited by tdockweiler - 8/29/13 at 10:54pmpost #1949 of 23208/30/13 at 4:34pm
I have been eyeing the 100's for a while and I finally bought a used pair for $30. I went through my bag of extra pads and found some that gave a slightly better sound than the stock pads but I won't switch because I prefer the proper fit of the stock pads on the headphones. I did add another foam liner with center cut out and that improved the comfort and fit for me. I think they sound good with my e11 and no extra bass. If Iwant better soundstage,I will switch to one of the three open back headphones that I have.
- Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 13 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 15 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › $1295 Aurender FLOW - portable DAC/amp with mSATA slot for up to... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › AKG K550 or Beyers DT660 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 2 minutes ago
- › Oriolus Hybrid IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...