- 609 Posts. Joined 10/2010
- Location: South East Asia, Singapore
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony Pro MDR-7506 Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New pads for Koss pro dj100?? Last post on 3/14/13 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- US$275 Budget advice: Koss Pro DJ100 vs Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony ZX700 + Amp for B'day present... Last post on 1/12/12 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone for my wife in the $50 to $100 price Last post on 3/31/13 at 8:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass Last post on 9/11/12 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 129post #1921 of 20197/2/13 at 6:11amCos the shipping was later than amazon advice so they refund me the shipping hehe.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1922 of 20197/16/13 at 12:47pmpost #1923 of 20197/16/13 at 9:58pmThread Starter
I imagine so. Even amps that are consider "thin and bright" (not saying the O2 is!) are perfectly OK for the DJ100. I remember the Schiit Magni being a pretty good match for the DJ100 too.
One amp i'm loving lately with the DJ100 is the Fiio E17 directly using my computer. I'm surprised how good it sounds and it doesn't require me to max out the volume.
NOTE: one reason I think the O2 should be ok is that some say it's nearly identical sounding to the Magni. I haven't compared them though.
The E9 is another good one but overkill maybe for the DJ100 unless you have other headphones.
Edited by tdockweiler - 7/16/13 at 10:00pmpost #1924 of 20197/18/13 at 11:16am
Many thanks to Tdockweiler!!!
If it wasn't for your unflagging enthusiasm for the Koss Pro DJ100, I might have dropped extra $$ on a different can that I now feel is probably not any better for my music enjoyment than the DJ100's. I live on a very limited income and every $ counts.
Thank you Tdockweiler!!
My little galaxy of cans include the Koss Portapros (bought maybe 8 years ago), ATH CKM500 IEM, ATH A700, quite recently the Koss KSC75's (Wow! What a wonderful set of portable cans!!!!) the Pro DJ 100's and more recently a JDS Labs Cmoy amp to provide the horsepower for this stable.
I just enjoy music. I am not out to wring the last cycle per second at some frequency with a custom $2000 tube amp built in Transylvania. I want to just enjoy my Jazz, Classical, and Space Age? music. All these cans hit the nail right on the head for me for not much money. Ok, Ok, the A700 cost me about $140 about a year ago. Everything else are Budget Kings!! So, my little report here is no way intended to be a review or test, just the views of an old guy with somewhat bad hearing and a bad case of tinnitus who, loves music.
Firstly, I run everything through the amp. Since getting the KSC 75's, I do not listen to my Portapros. I think the KSC 75's blow them away. I love them! They fit my ears perfectly and I hardly know they are on my ears. However, I cannot use them when the wife is home. She complains about having to listen to my music. So, KSC 75's are when I am alone or at the gym sometimes. Otherwise, the ATH 500's go to the gym or for reading in bed.
The ATH A700's are for "serious" listening mostly when I am alone and want to shut out the world. I love the whole ATH 700 experience. However, they are hot in the summer (like now) and I pretty much am completely unaware of the sounds in my surroundings (phone, or instructions from the wife - Ha! Ha!). I listened to some Boccherini on these that was so beautiful that I did start to cry. It was just so beautiful!!
Now, the new Koss Pro DJ100 cans. They fall into a middle of the road slot for me. The sound is just just incredible with no burn in. I got them "used" (They were brand new) off Ebay for $40. I hooked them up to the amp, turned to my favorite jazz and the first words out of my mouth were "WOW!!!"
I love these cans!!! No burn in needed! Why middle of the road? Because they do everything the others do and do it flawlessly. I can still hear the phone, but I am shut away with my music. They are light, not hot hot and could go anywhere. They do it all for me. Bargain! Bargain! Bargain!
Now, I am like a kid in a candy store... What cans do I want to use now!? Usually it is the DJ's.
My advice to anyone. These cans and the Koss KSC 75's are the bargain of the century! Run, don't walk to get yourself a set of these. And I STRONGLY recommend an amp. Especially for the 75's which sound dead without the amp.
Happy listening!post #1925 of 20197/19/13 at 10:00pmpost #1926 of 20197/31/13 at 5:22pm
Koss' lifetime warranty is great, just follow the instructions on the website and send them in. My portapro cable recently broke and I lost sound on one side, so I had to send them in. I sent them in, took 2 days to get there. I got a totally new pair of headphones back to me in 5 days. Really fast service no questions asked.post #1927 of 20198/5/13 at 9:34pm
Been running these with the E17's myself, optical for both my PC and PS3 - pretty damn great. I don't find I have to use the hardware EQ since I don't find it hard to hear one thing over the other (if that makes any sense). Seriously considering the SE's because the damn long coiled cable makes this tough to bring out and about.post #1928 of 20198/8/13 at 12:49am
i did something fun - i removed the dj100 drivers, and i swapped em out with kcs75 drivers. also razer carachias pads fit with a bit of stretching. i like how they sound, the brighter side of neutral.post #1929 of 20198/12/13 at 11:20amQuote:
Anyone else tried these? I thought of getting them since the M50 pads are a bit too expensive.post #1930 of 20198/12/13 at 11:24amThread StarterQuote:
I've never tried the SRH-440 pads. The problem is is that they're a bit too hard IMO.
The SRH-840 pads were terrible and completely ruined the M50. Hopefully the 440 pads are small and less trebly.
I should try them if they're cheap.
I also tried the SRH-940 pads but they make the bass totally go out the window. I couldn't even mod them to fix this.
EDIT: Just ordered some SRH-440 pads. They're only $7.50 on Amazon and under $12 shipping!
Hopefully they're better than SRH-840 pads. I believe they also have a foam backing which is a plus.
SRH-750 pads I didn't like for the DJ100. Way too uncomfortable.
Edited by tdockweiler - 8/12/13 at 4:59pmpost #1931 of 20198/12/13 at 6:46pm
The srh440 pads are very stiff in comparison to the srh840 pads, also they are a bit smaller and don't have that foam. But i prefer the srh440 pads with my srh440 just because the sound with srh840 pads sux (harsh, treble, thin mids).post #1932 of 20198/12/13 at 11:20pm
I've been using the 840's on my DJ100, and I think I like them better then the m50's. They are brighter but the comfort is better and they don't get rock hard like the m50's.
They are too much for the TBSE tho, WAY too bright!!post #1933 of 20198/13/13 at 12:09ampost #1934 of 20198/15/13 at 4:34pm
Thanks for the info about the headphone. I have been reading the thread and enjoying it.
I picked up some Tony Bennett's from the Staples sale and I tried the download code for his Duets II album. It has stated that the pin is invalid.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have email them to see what is going on.
I must say I am enjoying the headphones!
Thanks!post #1935 of 20198/15/13 at 6:08pmThread Starter
I tried the SRH-440 pads today. The fit isn't very tight, but perfectly acceptable. They also have no foam on them which is kind of disappointing.
After an hour I felt they sounded very good. Similar to M50 pads but not as warm sounding. The treble is a little more harsh/fatiguing. It could just be the tracks or my ears were just tired today.
I wanted to wait a few days and then see if i'm still using them. I also got in some new HD-650 pads so I'm switching between the 650 and DJ100 with SRH-440 pads.
Somehow the K400 EP I just got in is beating out everything else and is on my head the most lately. It's totally different sounding though.
Tried the SRH-840 pads on my DJ100 once and hated them. Could be because I was using the Ipod Touch 2G as a source at the time. That's pretty thin/bright and has some edgy treble sort of.
Stock DJ100 pads definitely limit my impression of treble. I think M50 pads actually make the DJ100 smoother sounding despite a little extra treble.
I bet what would be perfect is sRH-440 pads with some type of thin foam behind it. Similar as to whats on the M50 pads.
- Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 37 seconds ago
- › creative sound blaster ZXR 46 seconds ago
- › Vivo Xplay 3S with ESS9018 and OPA2604 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 8 minutes ago
- › FS: audiotechnica ATH-A900x - Brand New in Box 10 minutes ago
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude