Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 90

post #1336 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

Did you own the original Hesh, or the Hesh 2.0 that was released when they hired Tetsuro?

 

Also your posts are chock-full of absolute obsession, and definite bias. The fact that you're also getting defensive when several members point it out is further proof.

 

Furthermore, you're putting words in to our mouths. It was never implied that you think they're the worlds best headphones, but you are severely overplaying their worth. Comparing them to headphones that out perform them, such as the KNS series, the M50, the ATH T series, or even heavyweights like the high-end AKG and Sennheiser is just absurd.

 

Not attacking you, btw. Just pointing out the truth.

 

Relevant to discussion, has anyone tried doubling up on pads? I'm currently using the skullcandy hesh 2.0 pads, then placing the stock dj-100 pads over them. the first layer of padding acts as a makeshift liberator. Because of the increased driver distance, mid/highs are more focused, and the lower frequencies toned down a notch. soundstage increased because of the increased distance. it is surprisingly pleasing to listen to. i am giving it real, critical listening.

I've listened to enough headphones personally to know that if a headphone from a good manufacturer is priced in a certain price-bracket it's generally going to be better than something cheaper regardless of a persons personal preference. I don't expect any of the $50-100 headphones to sound as good as my DT 990 Pro, which I personally prefer to the AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880, and the Senn HD 600/650, but I wouldn't consider them in a league above rather they are in the same league and each just has a different flavor. I only found the Senns overpriced comparatively, some reason the HD 6xx skyrocketed in street price and never went back down or fluctuate in price anymore, I guess it's the hype machine behind them. I am curious about the DJ100 because they are a closed headphone and seem semi-portable, so I don't plan to mod them and if I change pads the pads can't change the look of the headphone much, if they pass my test for clarity and I find them pleasing to the ears, I will buy them, if not I'll look elsewhere.

post #1337 of 2249

The DJ-100 is very good at very specific things. It is a damn tank, being mostly metal, and semi-portable, and fully circumaural. the cord is very rugged for a coiled, wired cord, and the SQ is inoffensive IF you do not listen to metal.

post #1338 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

The DJ-100 is very good at very specific things. It is a damn tank, being mostly metal, and semi-portable, and fully circumaural. the cord is very rugged for a coiled, wired cord, and the SQ is inoffensive IF you do not listen to metal.


I listen to basically everything. I have to be in the right mood to listen to metal, but when I'm in those moods metal is all I listen to. For me if it sounds good on fast-paced and complex music in general, it sounds good at everything for me. They do seem to have the build-quality down from what you say. Of the headphones I've owned, only 3 could handle fast and complex music without choking or becoming congested. AKG K240 Studio(which broke sadly), AKG K514 MKII, and the Beyer DT 990.


Edited by kman1211 - 12/11/12 at 2:33pm
post #1339 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

Did you own the original Hesh, or the Hesh 2.0 that was released when they hired Tetsuro?

 

Also your posts are chock-full of absolute obsession, and definite bias. The fact that you're also getting defensive when several members point it out is further proof.

 

Furthermore, you're putting words in to our mouths. It was never implied that you think they're the worlds best headphones, but you are severely overplaying their worth. Comparing them to headphones that out perform them, such as the KNS series, the M50, the ATH T series, or even heavyweights like the high-end AKG and Sennheiser is just absurd.

 

Not attacking you, btw. Just pointing out the truth.

 

Relevant to discussion, has anyone tried doubling up on pads? I'm currently using the skullcandy hesh 2.0 pads, then placing the stock dj-100 pads over them. the first layer of padding acts as a makeshift liberator. Because of the increased driver distance, mid/highs are more focused, and the lower frequencies toned down a notch. soundstage increased because of the increased distance. it is surprisingly pleasing to listen to. i am giving it real, critical listening.

 

I'm not getting defensive, just talking normally. I think some people take my posts way too seriously. In none of my posts am I trying to argue and say I'm right, despite it sounding that way. I personally don't care if anyone doesn't like them. There's plenty of those. All this non-sense just keeps going back and forth as if what they're saying is the truth in how a headphone sounds. No headphone ever sounds the same for everyone. Every comment here is just an opinion, but people just forget that. I'd hate for someone to pass up a headphone just due to one person's comment. They may or may not have the same issues.

 

You haven't even told us in what ways these other headphones outperform them. That's what I don't get. I don't expect everyone to review every headphone they have, but as least give people more than a few troll-like comments like you did. That's where it all started. Of course people are going to get defensive when someone claims a headphone like the KRK KNS-6400 "dumps all over" the DJ100. As good as the KRK KNS-6400 is, I'd love to see you live with that as your only headphone for a year. It's impossible!

 

When I claim they're as good as some of my more expensive headphones, that's my opinion. I hate the idea that you or anyone else think they're the ones who can decide what headphone is best, as if it's some sort of fact. I know you didn't do this, but sometimes I have to wonder. There's plenty of people out there that also think the KSC75 is better than a lot of other $300+ headphones. People think they're nuts, but I don't see what the big deal is. Even the PX100-II is another one of those "Giant Killers" (not so much for me). BTW I do think the KRKs are a lot better than some other headphones that are twice as expensive. Mainly the K550 and SRH-940.

 

You claim my comments comparing them to higher end headphones (more like mid-fi) are absurd. How do you know? Again, you need the same equipment and I doubt you've even tried the HD-650/600 or Q701. The only main advantage many of these headphones have is that they're open. Due to this people seem to automatically think they're better. When I listen to my DJ100 along with the Q701, HD-650 nothing goes missing or is it that much worse. I actually think the DJ100 sounds more natural than the Q701 sometimes. The DJ100 actually has better bass and smoother treble than the Q701 and is much more musical. The HD-650 is close to what I like. My pair actually seems to have slightly forward upper mids, which is actually off the general consensus a bit since it doesn't show up in many graphs.

 

If I think they're as good as a $500 headphone, why does anyone care? It's just another person's opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to go out and buy them expecting this. If people feel i'm obsessive about a headphone or opinion, then they can just ignore or block me if it annoys them. I try to be helpful whenever possible. When the DJ100 has a problem that I actually hear, then I don't mind pointing it out. I'm actually not a fan of it as much with portable players and stock pads. Never have been. Stock pads are decent though. I'd much rather use my HD-650 unamped than the DJ100. Don't ask me why or how confused_face_2.gif

 

Just to annoy all of you, I will do an HD-650 vs DJ100 review. Feel free to proclaim i'm nuts and obsessed with headphones biggrin.gif

Funnily enough I only listen to music a couple hours a day. Whenever I get out my DJ100 or 650 though I sometimes stay up all night. My old Grado SR-225i had that effect on me too. Still kicking myself for upgrading to the 325i. The HD-650 will probably come out on top, but who knows. Comparing the SRH-940 to the DJ100, M50 and KRKs was really interesting..

post #1340 of 2249

your posts are written in very a-matter-of-fact manner, and often in an attempt to convince people.

 

http://imgur.com/a7QbF

http://imgur.com/vtz06

post #1341 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

your posts are written in very a-matter-of-fact manner, and often in an attempt to convince people.

 

http://imgur.com/a7QbF

http://imgur.com/vtz06

Things are starting to get creepy stalkish around here. We get it, you hate Koss HP's CrystalT..

post #1342 of 2249
I thought the double padding pics were interesting, never occurred to me to try that... If anything's creepy is someone replying to e v e r y single post on the thread like they're all an indictment on his beloved DJ100s. I guess we all interpret tone differently on the web tho, enthusiastic/creepy/obsessed/helpful/argumentative all gets jumbled together. wink.gif
Edited by Impulse - 12/12/12 at 2:09pm
post #1343 of 2249
I have to put my $.02 in here after the last few negative comments. I really appreciate Tdock's Thread, I was looking for a good entry level audiophile headphone and was originally going to go with the Philips Up/downtown because they hit the right $$ amount, then I saw the TBSE Koss' on sale. I quickly came to Head-Fi looking for reviews. Tdockweiler was/is kind enough to take countless hours out of his life to write a thorough and honest review of his impressions and experience with the DJ100 and I am grateful for that. I don't remember reading anywhere in his many posts him claiming to be the utmost authority on HPs or that his experience is sufficient enough for the rest of us. I think I have read this entire thread and have seen many, myself included, that have found the DJ100 to be a worthwhile purchase. I appreciate anyone that takes the time to post here with their experience especially if it is different from the rest so that everyone that comes here can get a comprehensive look at the DJ100. That said, in my opinion CrystalIT is trolling this thread when after his initial opinion he makes statements questioning Tdocks "knowledge of sound scienceor that other HPs "dump all over the DJ 100". As far as Tdock being obsessed, on a forum called Head-Fi where individuals routinely spend thousands on audio equipment, I would consider many to be more than obsessed and we all benefit from their obsession every time someone is kind enough to put up a review.
 
Tdock, thank you for taking the time it took to give us your initial impressions and to continue to do so. 
post #1344 of 2249

Again, I'm not a troll. Tdock is just creepily obsessed with these headphones. It's also fun to argue with him. He literally does think that these headphones are significantly better than much more impressive headphones in the $250+ range. He even thinks these are more clear, detailed, and have a better midrange than headphones that are designed for exactly that in the same price range, which I respectfully disagree with. You also took my posts out of context. Congratulations on missing the point.
 

I'm not a fan of the sound signature, but I'm broke and have to sell my more expensive headphones, and was given a pair of these for my birthday, which is why I'm here. I like discussing stuff with the other members, too.


Edited by CrystalT - 12/12/12 at 10:50am
post #1345 of 2249

take him as he is rolleyes.gif

post #1346 of 2249

If ^ is to me, I'm not a he.

 

Also I'm glad I decided to try out double padding. It really does help brighten things up.

post #1347 of 2249
It sounds like he found the perfect headphone for his taste and because the headphone is so cheap, I think that is why he is gushing over them. I found my perfect headphone for my tastes, I just need to find a semi-portable closed-back that suits my taste. Could I find a headphone I like more than mine? Yes I could and have heard a couple, but I would need to spend many times what I spent on my setup and I'm not willing to spend that type of money on a headphone until I get out of college, a stable career, etc. If I could get any headphone that would be the R10.
post #1348 of 2249

i meant tdockweiler

post #1349 of 2249

i have never really thought of what would be my ideal flashship headphone.

post #1350 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

i have never really thought of what would be my ideal flashship headphone.


Have you had a chance to hear any of the flagships?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King