- 769 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Location: Tucson, Arizona
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productSony Pro MDR-7506 Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New pads for Koss pro dj100?? Last post on 3/14/13 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- US$275 Budget advice: Koss Pro DJ100 vs Denon AH-D1100 vs Sony ZX700 + Amp for B'day present... Last post on 1/12/12 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone for my wife in the $50 to $100 price Last post on 3/31/13 at 8:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass Last post on 9/11/12 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 86post #1276 of 204112/4/12 at 3:14pmThe trebble and mids are terrible in my opinion.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1277 of 204112/4/12 at 3:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by CrystalT
I was given a pair of the pro dj 100 for my birthday. does anyone have the ability to take pictures of the insides of the dj 200? The extra wires for the mono/stereo switch make it difficult for me to mod the pro 100 to have a removable cable.
Been giving them a lot of head time. My opinion of them hasn't really changed. I love the construction, though. I may transplant different drivers in at some point because they are rugged as ****.
I'm drooling at the concept of the dj 100's mostly metal body with a more mid/bright/analytical sound signature.
I can go one better.
Disassembled and labelled:
Widen that hole for a 3.5mm female jack.
Solder dem wires.
Put the jack in place and secure with epoxy glue.
Admire your new DJ100 with removable cables.post #1278 of 204112/4/12 at 3:54pmpost #1279 of 204112/4/12 at 6:03pmpost #1280 of 204112/4/12 at 6:10pmQuote:
£25 premium here. No thanks.
The person I responded to already had the DJ100s as well.post #1281 of 204112/4/12 at 6:40pmThread Starter
Ok, sure. Then why don't you just sell them or give them away?
Any headphone with terrible mids and treble would be unlistenable to me.
Are you using them with an external amp? If not, you should do it.
I forget, weren't you the person who felt the Skullcandy Hesh 2 was amazing or something and sounded much better?
I haven't heard that so I wouldn't know what it's like.post #1282 of 204112/4/12 at 6:46pmThread StarterQuote:
I've noticed something weird about your DJ100.
Every single pair i've had had zero of those holes in the cup drilled straight down to the metal.
The Tony Bennett does, but never the DJ100.
I guess there must be a reason Koss drills these holes deeper now on the DJ100. I don't have a clue what it does for the sound.
I almost pulled the trigger on HDJ-2000 pads but just couldn't do it. $38.00 after shipping. Yuck!
I'm using Pro700 MKII pads now and they're OK.
I was using a Fuze with rockbox with LOD cable to E11/Airhead and it was sounding very bad tonight.
Switched to headphone jack and it's so much better for the DJ100. Maybe the line out on the Fuze isn't that good...
I've never figured out this mystery...my HD-650 prefers the LOD cable method.
Maybe the DJ100 needs more power than the HD-650 to be at it's best. Only kidding I think..post #1283 of 204112/4/12 at 7:09pmThread Starter
Listening to the DJ100 right now with Fuze V2 to Airhead using the 1/8" jack and Rockbox. Sounds pretty impressive.
It's nearly as warm sounding as my HD-650. This makes absolutely no sense but last night it was fuller sounding and slightly bassier than my (weird) HD-650 using both for gaming.
I was playing "Dark Souls" with both and noticed the DJ100 was much more revealing of the poor quality soundtrack of Dark Souls. It wasn't that bad though.
I was using the Xbox 360 with RCA cables straight to my Headroom Micro Amp.
BTW i've been using Pro700 MKII pads for the last couple of weeks. I don't want to suggest them since they're probably going to be as bad as stock pads when it comes to comfort.
They just sound better! Slightly better comfort when you stretch them out. The soundstage isn't as good as those of the M50 pads and there's a little less treble (due to your ears being closer to the driver).
Wonder if it's the general consensus that the Clip/Fuze are slightly warm portable players. I doubt anyone would think so, but I only noticed this with my KRKs and HD-650 when comparing it to my ODAC+Micro Amp.
I bought an Ipod Video (5.5) from my mom for dirt cheap, but it had a dead battery. Stupid me went to replace it and chopped off a ribbon inside trying to pry it apart (it's tough!). Can't wait to try it with the DJ100 once my repair parts come in.
That was like $50 down the drain..or so I thought. Luckily a replacement ribbon costs around $4.
Next year i'm thinking of getting a Lyr for my DJ100 and HD-650. Anyone tried the Lyr with the DJ100? $450 investment on a $80 headphone. Sounds good to me! Should get a Bifrost while i'm at it..post #1284 of 204112/4/12 at 7:19pmQuote:
What do you think I am? Daft? That would be like using a Asgard to amp my £10 Sony MH1Cs...wait.
I would be very tempted actually, but Schiit are considerably more expensive in the UK than the US and I'm considering picking up a pair of Behringer Truth 2031A monitors. Should have some change left over for new pads.post #1285 of 204112/5/12 at 1:53am
resolution is really bad on these. so is instrument separation. mids are very colored and highs, where are they? cheap sennheisers or sony are better options in this price range imo.post #1286 of 204112/5/12 at 2:45am
i've been using them with the following sources:
Focusrite VRMBox HPO
Focusrite VMRBox SPDIF
Pioneer VSX 9900S HPO
HTC EVO V
SGS Galaxy S /w voodoo mod & PowerAmp.
Sound doesn't change. All of those have adequate DACs. The only thing that changes is how much volume i need for them to hit adequate volume. Even out of my phone amping is not necessary. It is not a magic SQ-changing thing to have an external amplifier, people. Stop implying it does.
Actually nothing in this price range really satisfies me. The most satisfied I've been with a headphone currently is the Denon Music Maniac, but I'm not spending $500 on that.
But free headphones are free, and I like their build quality.
The Hesh 2 are very decent.
Also, my DJ100 has those same holes drilled in to them. I have noticed that my pair definitely sounds less offensive than the ones at BB, Sears which both have demo stations. (I unplug their headphones from their display and plug them in to my source cuz im a boss like that.)
Edited by CrystalT - 12/5/12 at 2:47ampost #1287 of 204112/5/12 at 3:09ampost #1288 of 204112/5/12 at 3:13ampost #1289 of 204112/5/12 at 6:50am
- Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Matrix Quattro amp: unboxing and initial impressions 28 seconds ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Desktop vs Portable listening... 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Heir Audio 3.ai 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Which Hifiman: 601LE or 602? 6 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 9 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 9 minutes ago
- › Need suggestions for portable DAC/Amp 10 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 11 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW]: SoundMAGIC HP100 - The Natural All-Rounder Headphone 11 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Burson Audio - Conductor SL 9018 - Headphone Amp and DAC by ag8908
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob