Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King - Page 83

post #1231 of 2249

Was able to pick up the TBSE1 today at Tuesday Morning (local store) for $40 (it was the normal $50 and then 25% off storewide sale today). 

 

I was able to spend more time in Best Buy this time listening to it's brother, the DJ200, and it seemed the system was hooked up properly this time, and I REALLY enjoyed the sound of the DJ200, so that was enough to make me spring for the DJ100. About to unbox them now and give them a good run. I'm expecting good things.

 

The DJ200 I tried does not have the treble issue others are complaining about. The only thing I thought was lacking was the bass. It seemed a little light, but I didn't trust their sources necessarily and it was NOT the best listening environment, so we'll see how this goes! For $40 I'm quite certain it is a steal though.

 

I do have to say that in a Black Friday crowd, the DJ200 (same size cups as DJ100) was able to block out a ton of noise, so I'm looking forward to good isolation.

post #1232 of 2249

All I can say is that considering one of the aspects of this thread is Budget King, I really love my TBSE1, Fiio E10 ( just for DAC), and Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp combination. Amazing sound for under $300 total!
 

post #1233 of 2249
What do you drive your DJ100s with mynameissang?
post #1234 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

What do you drive your DJ100s with mynameissang?

I use the headphone jack out of an old NAD integrated stereo amp. I know it's really not ideal, but honestly, it sounds fine to me.
While I have a personal belief that amps don't cause as big of a difference as a lot of people seem to make it seem, I will say that I did hate the DJ100 out of my Fiio E10. I can't really explain it, and I don't really feel like going back and listening to it to see what the difference is, but... it just didn't sound right out of the E10, while it sounds as good as I can imagine out of my NAD unit. Again, I really can't explain it.

post #1235 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx0xx View Post

Was able to pick up the TBSE1 today at Tuesday Morning (local store) for $40 (it was the normal $50 and then 25% off storewide sale today). 

 

I was able to spend more time in Best Buy this time listening to it's brother, the DJ200, and it seemed the system was hooked up properly this time, and I REALLY enjoyed the sound of the DJ200, so that was enough to make me spring for the DJ100. About to unbox them now and give them a good run. I'm expecting good things.

 

The DJ200 I tried does not have the treble issue others are complaining about. The only thing I thought was lacking was the bass. It seemed a little light, but I didn't trust their sources necessarily and it was NOT the best listening environment, so we'll see how this goes! For $40 I'm quite certain it is a steal though.

 

I do have to say that in a Black Friday crowd, the DJ200 (same size cups as DJ100) was able to block out a ton of noise, so I'm looking forward to good isolation.

 

Darn I missed that sale. I would have liked to get a backup pair. My local store has some left but the 25% sale is gone.

 

Maybe the lack of bass is due to poor seal or that the DJ100 needs more power. Probably not. I just know it's very accurate bass. Believe it or not my TB/DJ100 has as much bass as the HD-650 (my pair). Actually the 650 has a tad more, but not by much. It's obviously a tad warmer/fuller sounding. This is with a desktop amp and my ODAC. Using Pro700MKII pads though which don't really increase the bass at all for me. Actually in my experience the bass can be a bit sloppy with weak amping. This is like going from a Clip+ to a desktop amp...even the E11.

 

For a better seal, M50 pads or maybe foam or tissue in the edges might help. You can also try to stretch out the pads slightly. I remember one time that I was listening to my DJ100 and my ears were still sticking out! Didn't even feel like it.

 

I have now idea how the Pro700 MKII pads are that much more comfortable. I think maybe they're less likely to go flat.

 

Disclaimer: My HD-650 seems to have less bass than what is the general consensus I think. There's no major mid-bass hump and it's always quite controlled. I'm loving the HD-650, but the DJ100 still has more treble.

post #1236 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameissang View Post

I use the headphone jack out of an old NAD integrated stereo amp. I know it's really not ideal, but honestly, it sounds fine to me.
While I have a personal belief that amps don't cause as big of a difference as a lot of people seem to make it seem, I will say that I did hate the DJ100 out of my Fiio E10. I can't really explain it, and I don't really feel like going back and listening to it to see what the difference is, but... it just didn't sound right out of the E10, while it sounds as good as I can imagine out of my NAD unit. Again, I really can't explain it.

 

I've used my DJ100 out of a Technics receiver with a 330 ohm output impedance and  it didn't change it's signature at all. I was surprised. Not even with my Q701! It totally ruins the KRKs though. I'm sure there is a technical reason why it doesn't mess with my DJ100 and Q701. If it doesn't bother these headphones than the 33ohm output on the E9's small jack won't either.

 

I also didn't like the E10 for the DJ100. This is straight from the device. I don't really remember how it was as a DAC for the DJ100. I think the E10 may be kind of dark and made the DJ100 a bit too bassy and seemed to make the lower mids a bit too forward. The HD-598 was also VERY fatiguing with the 598 and this makes zero sense. Despite the forward mids it was quite muffled sounding and i'm not sure why. E10 supposedly measures flat but it sure doesn't sound like it.

 

As an amp I did prefer the E11 by far. It's pretty good for the DJ100, but I prefer the Airhead or E9.

 

 

BTW I can't believe the E9 is down to like $85! That's one of my favorite amps for the DJ100 somehow. Somehow it even makes the DJ100's soundstage seem larger.

 

To me DACs seem to all sound different. Maybe I just have had bad luck. Not huge differences.

post #1237 of 2249

I am surprised they still have stock in for 49.99, hell I thought they would have sold out in a couple days O_O.

 

Still loving them, they broke in great. Pads actually fit my ears perfect now. They sound great on my Samsung Captivate and Xonar DG. 

post #1238 of 2249

For me, the X-Fi Go Pro does indeed have an annoying buzz in the background. It doesn't create too much of a problem if the volume is high, but it's audible during quiet segments of my music. I just put in my order for a total airhead. Would it (or amps in general) be able to fix the problem? Quite disappointed either way...

post #1239 of 2249

Many thanks to tdockweiler for recommending these (and standing behind the recommendation).

 

Bought a pair for about $56.00 brand new which arrived today.

Listening to them now as I write this and very much enjoying their sound.-

intending to use them as portables switching off from my Senn HD 25 1 ii''s.

post #1240 of 2249
How do you think they compare to the Senn?
post #1241 of 2249

The Sennheiser's sound substantially better.

 

Clearer through the mids and highs,

more detailed,

highs more extended,

bass more articulate.

 

But the Senn's cost me $199. a couple of years ago,

while the Koss's were about $56.

 

Still, though, I bought them to use as portables and

I think they'll work well for that purpose - even though they're

larger than the Senn's.  I like their simple

black & silver color scheme and lack of a "halo effect".

And the SQ is fine - not fatiguing at all.

Also, for me at least, they're very comfortable -

more comfortable than the Senn's which still clamp

a bit too tightly.

post #1242 of 2249

I was able to buy a pair of the TBSE today with the 25% discount working. I'm not sure when the 25% sale ends...the store's banner said it was a 3-day sale. 

 

Try getting them to do a price-check, it might still be on sale if the 25% off is still running tomorrow.

 

There wasn't a yellow 25% off sticker on the box when I found them at the store, but there was a printed sign on the rack that gave the sale price. 

 

It's funny though, the employee who rang me up was surprised that these headphones were additionally discounted.

 

By the way, what's a good straight cable to use for these headphones? The coiled cable is a bit of a bother to me.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Darn I missed that sale. I would have liked to get a backup pair. My local store has some left but the 25% sale is gone.

 

 

post #1243 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofKnaves21 View Post

For me, the X-Fi Go Pro does indeed have an annoying buzz in the background. It doesn't create too much of a problem if the volume is high, but it's audible during quiet segments of my music. I just put in my order for a total airhead. Would it (or amps in general) be able to fix the problem? Quite disappointed either way...


What you hear might be the EMI. If anything, an amp will augment it.

post #1244 of 2249

The bass definitely is better coming out of my X-Fi Go Pro!, and I'm not getting the buzz AceofKnaves21 mentioned. It could be EMI. I have mine inserted into a USB extension cable to distance it from the computer itself. I don't know if that might help.

 

These headphones seem very picky about the source. Going to test my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, iPhone 4S, and Macbook and see what kind of differences occur.

 

I think I understand the 'treble' weirdness that people have described. Cymbals, and especially heavy music (Behemoth, etc.) with blast beats or constant cymbal usage really bring it out. The thing is, though, that I don't really mind it. The treble isn't harsh, but it's different- airy is the best way to describe it. It's GREAT for acoustic guitars, forward vocals, high-hats, and other similar instruments. 

 

Extreme metal is about the only thing that sounds a little lacking on these. Hard rock, progressive metal, and punk/crust/thrash all sound great. Death/black metal sound a little hollow for some reason, and I think the treble has something to do with that- it's extremely airy sounding and overpowers the music a bit. Nothing a bit of EQ couldn't fix, I'm sure. Regardless, the guitar heaviness and crunch these headphones bring out really makes the treble issue negligible. Of course, over time, it's possible the treble with smooth out with burn-in. I know that happened with both my Sennheiser HD238s and my Meelectronics HT-21s.


Edited by xx0xx - 11/25/12 at 8:46pm
post #1245 of 2249
Thread Starter 
Quote:

By the way, what's a good straight cable to use for these headphones? The coiled cable is a bit of a bother to me.


I'm using one I bought at Target called the GE Ultra Pro. It's clear and has silver shielding under it. It costs $9, but includes a special adapter to turn it into an RCA to Mini cable if needed.
This one seems to not tangle at all ever unlike the RCA one I also bought earlier.

I also scored a Cardas HP1 cable for it for $35, but I mostly use that for my amp from my DAC.

You can try some on Monoprice for dirt cheap, but make sure you don't buy the Premium versions. Those are WAY too thick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King