Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ - Page 8  

post #106 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post




suddenly .... arrested for illegal solicitation !

 


I swear officer, I only wanted to check out her cans...

 

post #107 of 3746
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post

 

Hi kiteki,

 

Again, great write up, but wanted to ask about the Teclast.  I was in between the Teclast & J3 several months ago.  Went with iPhone4 in the end (contract was up, so it was the logical step with phone and dap as well).

 

What exactly is the issue with the UI?  Many contradicting sides to it.  I figure you are definitely a Teclast guru and can enlighten me on it.....Thanks

 

My needs basically for a DAP are:  FLAC, ALAC and / or OGG support.  Gapless playback a must with no glitches.  Decent UI (album art etc.) and not needing to use an MIT degree to navigate.

 

Thanks very much


I'm going to sound like a techno virgin here but I'm not sure I know what gapless playback is.... is that when you have an entire album in a single FLAC file? Because I have those and they work on the T51, but not flawlessly, sometimes you can't press next and back, so you just have to drag the scrollbar to find the song you want, or fast-forward or rewind...

 

The only issue with the T51 is that you have to navigate in a folder structure, it's not a DAP where you just put your music on it and then navigate by artist or genre, at least it seems glitchy there? I don't actually know, because I always navigate by folder structure, and I find it quick and intuitive, never had any issues.

 

One "issue" I have is battery life, which is less than ideal at around 8 to 10 hours, but the battery itself is huge, it seems like the chips and output power and large screen just don't make it a power friendly device, you can get through one full length movie.

 

At the end of the day, it's NOT intended to be a UI friendly DAP, it's intended to be an audiophile DAP with two DAC's, a great sounding line-out, and a great sounding headphone-out, what's fantastic about it is the price, and you get a huge screen to watch movies on as a bonus feature, is the way I look at it.

 

 

post #108 of 3746



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post


I'm going to sound like a techno virgin here but I'm not sure I know what gapless playback is.... is that when you have an entire album in a single FLAC file? Because I have those and they work on the T51, but not flawlessly, sometimes you can't press next and back, so you just have to drag the scrollbar to find the song you want, or fast-forward or rewind...

 

The only issue with the T51 is that you have to navigate in a folder structure, it's not a DAP where you just put your music on it and then navigate by artist or genre, at least it seems glitchy there? I don't actually know, because I always navigate by folder structure, and I find it quick and intuitive, never had any issues.

 

One "issue" I have is battery life, which is less than ideal at around 8 to 10 hours, but the battery itself is huge, it seems like the chips and output power and large screen just don't make it a power friendly device, you can get through one full length movie.

 

At the end of the day, it's NOT intended to be a UI friendly DAP, it's intended to be an audiophile DAP with two DAC's, a great sounding line-out, and a great sounding headphone-out, what's fantastic about it is the price, and you get a huge screen to watch movies on as a bonus feature, is the way I look at it.

 

 



Thanks!!!

 

Gapless playback is having an album with no gaps- example- live albums, house or trance mixed CDs etc without having that "gap" going from song to song.  Years ago, I used to have to rip the entire album as one single flac because my Archos did not do gapless at all.  However, as you know navigating to a particular song in that fashion was a pita indeed.  I can deal with folder structure there and great head... & line-out which is a plus.  Have to look at the Teclast some more then...

 

Cheers!!!

 

Example:

 

Here is an Armin Van Buuren rip (ASOT 2011).  Gapless will play each song in order with no gaps just like the original CD...

 

 

AVB.jpg

 

 


Edited by HeatFan12 - 9/11/11 at 6:37pm
post #109 of 3746

Yes...  Josh brought the FI-BA-SS as well as the MASSIVE piano forte. I tried the Fibass. Piano forte..  i kinda had to go. It didn't look comfy as well. Think a universal IEM, 1.5 times the size of a custom IEM, TIPLESS ..  cold hard steel right into your ear canals..  PAIN??  and they're ridiculously heavy.

 

Fi-Ba-ss was great! and the crafting is orgasmic...   however I'm not too convinced it sounds better than the merlins or miracles..  and the strain relief is downright poor. They cause more harm than relief of the cables...

 

post #110 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Hey, I should start an audio sales shop that has girls like that working there.

Oh, you would suceed.  Love it in Akihabara when the stores have kirei campaign-girls wearing costumes.  Shopping and cos-play all at the same time.   Combine this with the beer-girls at baseball stadiums and what is not to like? Thanks for a very good and informative thread.  Sugoi desu neh!

 


Edited by Il Mostro - 9/12/11 at 6:59am
post #111 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




I swear officer, I only wanted to check out her cans...

 


Officer Flannigan: I know son that's what got you into this sort of trouble.

 

post #112 of 3746

Guys, shouldn't this be a blog ??

post #113 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Yeah, we should be talking about Final Audio though... not mobile phones. =p

 

Agreed :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzc View Post

Yes...  Josh brought the FI-BA-SS as well as the MASSIVE piano forte. I tried the Fibass. Piano forte..  i kinda had to go. It didn't look comfy as well. Think a universal IEM, 1.5 times the size of a custom IEM, TIPLESS ..  cold hard steel right into your ear canals..  PAIN??  and they're ridiculously heavy.

 

Fi-Ba-ss was great! and the crafting is orgasmic...   however I'm not too convinced it sounds better than the merlins or miracles..  and the strain relief is downright poor. They cause more harm than relief of the cables...


Yeah, sadly their DD IEMs are massively uncomfy, but their BAs are great, especially the SS and A1. Haven't heard the Merlins and Miracles, but the FI-BA-SS can keep up with my newly acquired UERMs and even surpass them in some aspects. I agree their "strain reliefs" look poor, but I've had these phones for more than a year now and the cables don't show any sign of wear (of course I take care of my stuff).

post #114 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Thanks shane55, I remember when I started on head-fi I saw your posts a lot, I think mostly about the DBA-02 or something, nice to see a familiar face, that black guy using the SR-404 and listening to some really intense jazz, by the looks of it! ;]

 

 


Heh, heh... Yeah, the DBA-02. My go-to IEM's. Also now the B2's. Pretty much the same thing.

 

And for the 'black guy'... that's McCoy Tyner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCoy_Tyner  Probably listening to his own brilliance.  wink_face.gif
 

 

post #115 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

DSC02358.JPG

 

DSC02369.JPG

 

 

Right now I am listening to this:

 

DSC02365.JPG

 

 

to be continued ... 



1. so tiny

2, 3 :

 

print-screen-key.jpg

 

it works!

 

PS: EX600 frown.gif

post #116 of 3746
Thread Starter 

printscreen requires effort by going into mspaint, I strategically shot that picture where you can see the track "ENSLAVED BY ROBOTS" since the other track names I decided weren't safe to show...

 

P.S. The review has "continued", check it out.

post #117 of 3746
Thread Starter 

 

Okay, I stayed up all night and my review of the new Hifiman Dac/Amp is finished, for now... http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kiteki-s-adventures-in-audioland#post_7742910

 

That was pretty neat, I've never put so much effort into a review and was enjoying music the whole way along.

 

 

post #118 of 3746

Nice first impressions on the Hifiman Express HM-101. Pardon my ignorance for asking this question but can this unit be mated directly to a DAP and have you tried running from Laptop to Hifiman to Dedicated external HP amp to HP/IEM yet? I'm rather curious what it would sound like with say a Cmoy or even a cheapy Fiio amp or what have you.

post #119 of 3746
Thread Starter 

 

Think of it as a sound-card, it has to be connected to a computer, and will act as the sound-card of the computer.

 

As soon as you disconnect it from a computer, it can't do anything, furthermore, it has no audio inputs.

 

 

With the line-out, you can connect it to a cmoy or or Fiio amp, but the built-in amp is so good I see no point in doing that.

 

I haven't listened to the line-out properly yet, but I'll connect the LO to my stereo later.

 

 

post #120 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Think of it as a sound-card, it has to be connected to a computer, and will act as the sound-card of the computer.

 

As soon as you disconnect it from a computer, it can't do anything, furthermore, it has no audio inputs.

 

 

With the line-out, you can connect it to a cmoy or or Fiio amp, but the built-in amp is so good I see no point in doing that.

 

I haven't listened to the line-out properly yet, but I'll connect the LO to my stereo later.

 

 


Gotcha thanks

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ