Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Eq which freq ranges to remove Mid Bass Hump and increase oomph feeling ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eq which freq ranges to remove Mid Bass Hump and increase oomph feeling ?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Lately i realized there is no other way to make my IEM's sound better in terms of bass without actually applying Pre Equalization to My Music tracks prior to putting them in my DAP.

 

DAP's sound Eq just doesnt offer the refinement in Bass freq i want. (Im talking about Sony NWZ series walkman which have so called Clear Bass setting instead of the freq bands 30 Hz or something in Eq, i dont know it just ups the entire bass be it muddy bass , low bass altogether.)

 

Sounds a lot of work but i dont mind the extra work if it gives me the desired results. I have been doing the same for almost a year now, except now i have different IEM's and i need to create a perfect Eq Setting for them again. I have M31's now btw L3000.gif

 

 

As you all already know they are bass monsters, but they also sound boomy. I already applied the Eq settings below and they have started to hit the lows so decently and also at the same time free from muddy bass

 

Here are my settings which i created myself with some bit of hit and try

 

20 Hz -  +6.5 Db

28Hz  -   +7.5 Db

 

40Hz  -   -12 Db

56Hz  -   -12 Db

80Hz  -   -12 Db

113Hz  -   -12 Db

160Hz  -   -12 Db

 

 

I want to ask if i am going overboard with Db levels im tweaking ?

 

I am mostly interested in Low Range bass, I dont wana loose out on any other portion except the annoying muddy bass.

 

Please Folks if you have some suggestions to tweak this setting or any other settings of your own please share.

post #2 of 16

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon88 View Post

Lately i realized there is no other way to make my IEM's sound better in terms of bass without actually applying Pre Equalization to My Music tracks prior to putting them in my DAP.

 

DAP's sound Eq just doesnt offer the refinement in Bass freq i want. (Im talking about Sony NWZ series walkman which have so called Clear Bass setting instead of the freq bands 30 Hz or something in Eq, i dont know it just ups the entire bass be it muddy bass , low bass altogether.)

 

Sounds a lot of work but i dont mind the extra work if it gives me the desired results. I have been doing the same for almost a year now, except now i have different IEM's and i need to create a perfect Eq Setting for them again. I have M31's now btw L3000.gif

 

 

As you all already know they are bass monsters, but they also sound boomy. I already applied the Eq settings below and they have started to hit the lows so decently and also at the same time free from muddy bass

 

Here are my settings which i created myself with some bit of hit and try

 

20 Hz -  +6.5 Db

28Hz  -   +7.5 Db

 

40Hz  -   -12 Db

56Hz  -   -12 Db

80Hz  -   -12 Db

113Hz  -   -12 Db

160Hz  -   -12 Db

 

 

I want to ask if i am going overboard with Db levels im tweaking ?

 

I am mostly interested in Low Range bass, I dont wana loose out on any other portion except the annoying muddy bass.

 

Please Folks if you have some suggestions to tweak this setting or any other settings of your own please share.


The best DAP for EQing, especially for bassheads, is the Cowon's BBE EQ. The Mach3Bass is amazing. It adds more visceral bass, but somehow it doesn't get muddy. I've never been able to get the same result with a regular EQ.

 

post #3 of 16

I'd say Subbass (0 ~ 80Hz) / midbass (80 ~ 150Hz) barrier goes around 80Hz or so. But upper bass around 150 ~ 300Hz may still be worth looking into as well.

 

I'd rather try settings like:

 

 

20 Hz -  +7.0 dB

28Hz  -   +7.5 dB

40Hz  -   +7.0 dB

56Hz  -   +6.5 dB

80Hz  -   +3.0 dB

113Hz  -  -6.0 dB

160Hz  -  -7.0 dB

 

and midbass/upper bass doesn't stop there (well midbass yea but upper bass say 150 ~ 250 or 300Hz or so) is still "muddying" up mids. So if you can tweak sliders around 200 - 250Hz (maybe try lower ~300Hz just tiny bit too)

 

So something like say

 

200Hz  -  -6.0 dB

250Hz  -  -4.0 dB

300Hz  -  -2.0 dB

 

Also don't go overboard when decreasing midbass frequencies either, it won't sound nice. This might even be too drastic settings but as I haven't heard your source/EQ I can't unfortunately comment as all EQs behave a little different (+1.0 dB increase on one EQ might not be equal as +1.0 on another).


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/10/11 at 1:42am
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I'd say Subbass / midbass barrier goes around 80Hz or so.

 

I'd rather try settings like:

 

 

20 Hz -  +6.5 dB

28Hz  -   +7.5 dB

40Hz  -   +7.0 dB

56Hz  -   +6.5 dB

80Hz  -   +3.0 dB

113Hz  -  -6.0 dB

160Hz  -   -7.5 Db

 

and midbass/upper bass doesn't stop there (well midbass yea but upper bass say 150 ~ 250 or 300Hz or so) is still "muddying" up mids. So if you can tweak sliders around 200 - 250Hz (maybe try lower ~300Hz just tiny bit too)

 

So something like say

 

200Hz  -  -6 dB

250Hz  -  -5.0 dB

300Hz  -  -2.0 dB

 

Sure thing , ill try this setting . Lets see how it sounds :)  M31 havent even burned in yet lol
 

 

post #5 of 16

48741c01_P1030413_resize.jpg

 

Hope that's of some use my friend. Not my own image of course; it was posted a while back, I forget which thread exactly.

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

48741c01_P1030413_resize.jpg

 

Hope that's of some use my friend. Not my own image of course; it was posted a while back, I forget which thread exactly.

 

Thanks :) nice description
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I'd say Subbass (0 ~ 80Hz) / midbass (80 ~ 150Hz) barrier goes around 80Hz or so. But upper bass around 150 ~ 300Hz may still be worth looking into as well.

 

I'd rather try settings like:

 

 

20 Hz -  +7.0 dB

28Hz  -   +7.5 dB

40Hz  -   +7.0 dB

56Hz  -   +6.5 dB

80Hz  -   +3.0 dB

113Hz  -  -6.0 dB

160Hz  -  -7.0 dB

 

and midbass/upper bass doesn't stop there (well midbass yea but upper bass say 150 ~ 250 or 300Hz or so) is still "muddying" up mids. So if you can tweak sliders around 200 - 250Hz (maybe try lower ~300Hz just tiny bit too)

 

So something like say

 

200Hz  -  -6.0 dB

250Hz  -  -4.0 dB

300Hz  -  -2.0 dB

 

Also don't go overboard when decreasing midbass frequencies either, it won't sound nice. This might even be too drastic settings but as I haven't heard your source/EQ I can't unfortunately comment as all EQs behave a little different (+1.0 dB increase on one EQ might not be equal as +1.0 on another).

 

increasing 56Hz and 80Hz bands kinda makes M31 sound muddy and Low Bass seems dissappeared.

 

So finally tweaked the configuration final one is like this

 

20 Hz -  +7.0 dB

28Hz  -   +7.5 dB

40Hz  -   -6.3 dB

56Hz  -   -8.0 dB

80Hz  -   -8.0 dB

113Hz  -  -8.0 dB

160Hz  -  -8.0 dB

225Hz  -  -6.0 dB

320Hz  -  -2.0 dB

 

Now they sound more balanced and free from Boominess. Still experimenting though ,

 

I am using Sony Sound Forge's Graphic Equalizer, Accuracy on HIgh. Maybe you have used it before.

 

 

 

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

48741c01_P1030413_resize.jpg

 

Hope that's of some use my friend. Not my own image of course; it was posted a while back, I forget which thread exactly.


 

You are awesome :)

post #8 of 16

Audiophile noob here and lately I've been trying to up my audio game.  I've never heard of the Sony Sound Forge Graphic Equalizer.  Is this what you're using:  http://www.amazon.com/New-Sound-Forge-Audio-Studio-10NEW/dp/B0054PD62K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319723664&sr=1-1?

 

I have MEElectronics M9's and a Sony NWZ E-354 and I've been trying to get the most "clean" bass impact from them.  I was using the EQ settings and then I'd also making changes in the B-Gain/T-Gain settings from the Service Menu for additional tweaking.  Still sounding muddy a bit on some tracks.  But yeah I was looking at upgrading my earphones in any case to either M31, SP51, Hippo VB, Soundmagic E10, Dunu Trident, or even M11+ hahaha.  Was leaning towards the SP51 mostly because I was afraid of muddiness from the M31's.  Just wanted to know how your experiments turned out...still using same earphones, equalizer, same source, same settings etc?  What kind of music are you listening to BTW?

 

EDIT BTW Here's my current DAC Settings: 
Bass Gain: 12
Bass FC : 50 Hz
Treble Gain:  4.5
Treble FC: 5 khz

 

EQ'd: Clear Bass+3, Then for the 5 EQs: +1,-1,+3,+2,+1

 


Edited by DnB Sublimity - 10/27/11 at 7:39am
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB Sublimity View Post

Audiophile noob here and lately I've been trying to up my audio game.  I've never heard of the Sony Sound Forge Graphic Equalizer.  Is this what you're using:  http://www.amazon.com/New-Sound-Forge-Audio-Studio-10NEW/dp/B0054PD62K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319723664&sr=1-1?

 

I have MEElectronics M9's and a Sony NWZ E-354 and I've been trying to get the most "clean" bass impact from them.  I was using the EQ settings and then I'd also making changes in the B-Gain/T-Gain settings from the Service Menu for additional tweaking.  Still sounding muddy a bit on some tracks.  But yeah I was looking at upgrading my earphones in any case to either M31, SP51, Hippo VB, Soundmagic E10, Dunu Trident, or even M11+ hahaha.  Was leaning towards the SP51 mostly because I was afraid of muddiness from the M31's.  Just wanted to know how your experiments turned out...still using same earphones, equalizer, same source, same settings etc?  What kind of music are you listening to BTW?

 

EDIT BTW Here's my current DAC Settings: 
Bass Gain: 12
Bass FC : 50 Hz
Treble Gain:  4.5
Treble FC: 5 khz

 

EQ'd: Clear Bass+3, Then for the 5 EQs: +1,-1,+3,+2,+1

 


My current setup is

Sony NwZ A844

MeElecs M31

 

For Audio Equalization i use :

 

Sony Sound Forge (Digital Audio editing software)

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforge

I usually pre process all my tracks before sending them to my player.

 

As for muddiness i get none, my Eq Ramp that ive created using the Graphic Equalizer in Sound Forge absolutely cut out any margin for mid bass hump. I usually give a decent boost to 20 - 25 Hz by 7 - 8 dbs and cut  30 - 50 Hz by like - 4 Db , the entire equalization pretty much keeps the music clean and clear, M31's are quite bassy and yea , they indeed make the bass muddy if u listen to them without any pre eq , as Sony's walkman eq's dont provide precise control over freq. Clear bass pretty much kicks up low and mid bass together which sounds quite ugly. well atleast to my ears. i dunno about other people.

So far after pre eq i have been like totally satisfied with my music. It sounds sweet with right amount of bass and clarity.

 

Gimme a im if u need some detailed info on my eq ramps.

 

 

 

post #10 of 16

Reading your reply makes me realize just how much I need to step my audio game up hahaha.  That Forge software looks pretty impressive...to me anyways.  Kind of over my budget though, so I'll probably end up trying the Cowon player EQ w/mach3Bass first although I doubt it'll be as precise as your configuration there.  Anyways thanks for letting me know your set-up...if for whatever reason I splurge and buy the Sony Sound Forge instead I'm definitely contacting you!

 

EDIT:  I don't have Foobar2K, but I'm wondering if I can probably achieve the same results with this graphic equalizer?  Any thoughts on it?


Edited by DnB Sublimity - 10/29/11 at 4:33pm
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB Sublimity View Post

Reading your reply makes me realize just how much I need to step my audio game up hahaha.  That Forge software looks pretty impressive...to me anyways.  Kind of over my budget though, so I'll probably end up trying the Cowon player EQ w/mach3Bass first although I doubt it'll be as precise as your configuration there.  Anyways thanks for letting me know your set-up...if for whatever reason I splurge and buy the Sony Sound Forge instead I'm definitely contacting you!

 

EDIT:  I don't have Foobar2K, but I'm wondering if I can probably achieve the same results with this graphic equalizer?  Any thoughts on it?


 

Foobar2k is an audio player not a editing software mate. Im afraid it wont do.

post #12 of 16

Haha,

 

The gods have spoken/

post #13 of 16

I've had some experience in the Pro Sound/Car Audio/Cinema Sound arenas and it's never a good idea to boost any band excessively.

 

I understand we're not talking 1,000, 10,000  or 50,000 SQ FT of listening apace and it's personal sound that being discussed but I've always approached EQ with as little boost as possible.

 

Lowering bands is a better way to go and you'll get cleaner more dynamic sound.

 

When you boost excessively you're killing the dynamic range of your components.

 

Lower all the bands and keep the bands you want boosted at +1 or +2 DB of boost and thats a better approach.

 

Right now I have the first three and last three bands boosted +1 DB and I'm perfectly happy.....if I want more dramatic EQ I'll lower the bands around the trouble spots which will give me more usable volume.

 

 

post #14 of 16

One more thing to add.....

 

When a band is boosted +3 DB you're asking the driver to play double the loudness in that frequency.

 

I'm not sure how much reliability you guys want from your equipment but a lower life span is something I would expect from that much boost.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator702 View Post

One more thing to add.....

 

When a band is boosted +3 DB you're asking the driver to play double the loudness in that frequency.

 

I'm not sure how much reliability you guys want from your equipment but a lower life span is something I would expect from that much boost.


No, you're asking it to double power at that frequency. It takes 10 dB to double perceived volume. And it won't affect life time at all. Most headphone drivers are capable of volumes no human would want to listen to for any length of time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Eq which freq ranges to remove Mid Bass Hump and increase oomph feeling ?