Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650? - Page 177

post #2641 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

I'll admit, the HTF600 was really starting to grow on me after I got some other affordable dynamics to compare them to. The soundstage is certainly quite better depth-wise than a typical closed headphone, for starters (enough that it's usable for CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone), and the clamping force actually is kind of light. I even thought about buying some velour pads.

 

...And then the right driver crapped out. Diaphragm's wrinkled and caved in a few places, and it either sounds "hollow" (no more bass presence), or makes a really loud, annoying buzzing sound. I just can't listen to it anymore with such imbalance.

 

Worse off, the earcup seems to be held on with clip/latch bits, not screws, so I don't feel as comfortable taking it apart without breaking it in hopes that I can do something to fix that driver.

 

Is there any hope left for the faulty driver, or should I just move on? (I suppose this is reason enough to look into the HD668B or SR850...)

Try blowing into it and it might 'pop' back into place. It's a common issue with these

 

The 668b would be a good sidegrade. It sounds good but has a completely different sound from the Pannies (not a bad thing :)


Edited by Supertoaster - 10/11/12 at 3:57pm
post #2642 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoaster View Post

Try blowing into it and it might 'pop' back into place. It's a common issue with these

 

The 668b would be a good sidegrade. It sounds good but has a completely different sound from the Pannies (not a bad thing :)

 

Believe me, I tried. Several times. Blowing into it (from the inside) didn't really work, so I held it from the back (covering the rear vents) and gave it a good smack from the earpad side.

 

Sometimes, the clicking would change tone. Other times, it would go away, but the overall sound was still pretty "hollow". And it still hasn't sorted out the caved-in parts I see on the diaphragm.

 

I need to figure out how the heck I can dismantle the earcup without breaking it, because that's the only way I'll have any chance of fixing that driver. Clearly, people have done it before when looking at the mods posted here, but I don't recall if they actually posted disassembly instructions. This is a huge thread...

post #2643 of 2805
I had the same problem. Messed with the driver for and hour. Could not fix it. It was just broken.
post #2644 of 2805

These headphones sound really bad playing the song Viva la Vida by Coldplay for some reason. I understand Coldplay music doesn't have the best production and their songs are pretty 'loud' but all the songs on their other albums sound fine.

 

What sounds bad is the whole song sounds hollow and sort of smushed together and the vocals have a strange reverb. 

 

The song sounds just fine on my $6 JVC earbuds, though.

 

 

anybody else notice this?

post #2645 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

I'll admit, the HTF600 was really starting to grow on me after I got some other affordable dynamics to compare them to. The soundstage is certainly quite better depth-wise than a typical closed headphone, for starters (enough that it's usable for CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone), and the clamping force actually is kind of light. I even thought about buying some velour pads.

 

...And then the right driver crapped out. Diaphragm's wrinkled and caved in a few places, and it either sounds "hollow" (no more bass presence), or makes a really loud, annoying buzzing sound. I just can't listen to it anymore with such imbalance.

 

Worse off, the earcup seems to be held on with clip/latch bits, not screws, so I don't feel as comfortable taking it apart without breaking it in hopes that I can do something to fix that driver.

 

Is there any hope left for the faulty driver, or should I just move on? (I suppose this is reason enough to look into the HD668B or SR850...)


Same thing happened to mine no amount of blowing or slapping the side of the cup will fix it I can get it to stop buzzing while playing music but the bass on the right cup has disappeared compared to the left cup.  Going to send them back to Panasonic for repair not going to bother trying to fix them by opening them up.


Edited by DJHeadshot - 10/20/12 at 1:14pm
post #2646 of 2805
Yeah send them in.
post #2647 of 2805
That song does sound hollow a bit. Wide but hollow. Just an anomaly.
post #2648 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post

That song does sound hollow a bit. Wide but hollow. Just an anomaly.

Just with the Pannies?

post #2649 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoaster View Post

Just with the Pannies?

No, with all my headphones. I would say it's the recording/mastering/mixing. Actually sounds better on my pannies than my others-wider soundstage, but vocals are really hollow and buried in the mix.

post #2650 of 2805
After one year,
I can say I still love them. They have been very Good with my DJ setup. They have even stood up to the beating of my two boys. Still my favorite can.
post #2651 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser182 View Post

After one year,
I can say I still love them. They have been very Good with my DJ setup. They have even stood up to the beating of my two boys. Still my favorite can.

Yes, even when I get my new headphones these will always have a special place in my heart.

 

Next to my Superlux 681 of course. Who was my Drill Sgt. Toughing me up and throwing up bad recordings in my face and making me look at every detail. Also a bit overly harsh at times but deep down he liked me.

 

Then the HTF600's. who gave me big warm hugs and rocked me gently to sleep with bass.

 

 

Am I a creep?


Edited by Supertoaster - 10/22/12 at 2:51pm
post #2652 of 2805

Did anyone else notice the bass seemed to go away and then suddenly it comes back in full force

 

This happened maybe a week after first getting them with very continuous use.

post #2653 of 2805

I only noticed this on the defective pair I sent back. When I would tap or hit the side the driver would work fine for a few minutes. It as if the voice coil gets stuck.
 

post #2654 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoaster View Post

Did anyone else notice the bass seemed to go away and then suddenly it comes back in full force

 

This happened maybe a week after first getting them with very continuous use.

This is typical with this model of headphone. It is a component of its particular "burn-in process characteristics" and also known for this model of headphone and driver on this thread as the "Magical 50 Hrs. of Burn-In Mark" phenomenon, where the bass, from stock to 50(ish) Hours goes from factory to better to AWOL bass then returned, improved, higher quality, full-force bass @ about 50 hours.

post #2655 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest View Post

This is typical with this model of headphone. It is a component of its particular "burn-in process characteristics" and also known for this model of headphone and driver on this thread as the "Magical 50 Hrs. of Burn-In Mark" phenomenon, where the bass, from stock to 50(ish) Hours goes from factory to better to AWOL bass then returned, improved, higher quality, full-force bass @ about 50 hours.

 

LOL !

 

Has anyone tried burning them in for 49 hours and 59 minutes, putting them away for a week, then taking them out and playing music for a minute?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?