I'm looking for some more info on the FiiO E9i. It seems like the E9 has nearly all 4 and 5 star reviews at Amazon but the E9i has several complaints. However, the complaints are related to things like the headphone jacks or a scratchy potentiometer... things that could just as easily happen to the E9. So is the E9i a well built product?
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Cheap ebay 6120A2 amps - any experience with these? Last post on 7/8/13 at 12:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Would purchasing a headphone amp just for Spotify make a difference? Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- About to make the plunge Last post on 11/24/12 at 1:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- amp for hd 650 Last post on 11/26/12 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone amp for my pc (with AKG 701's) Last post on 10/7/12 at 11:31pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
https://store.thinksound.com/ I would like to give a hearty thanks to Thinksound's Aaron Fournier for reaching out to me for this review. I was provided with a review sample of the ON2...
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO E9i reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
what may happen with the E9 may also happen with the 9i.
Ok the potentiometer makes a very slight "hschh" when you adjust the volume but not a big deal... for the money the little thing is very good
Wanted to chime in with my impression of the E9i. I had heard about the E9 as a good bang-for-your-buck amp for my newly acquired AKG702's, so when I saw the E9i, it looked like the perfect bedside rig to use with my iTouch. No laptop, no extra cables, just the iTouch, E9i, and choice of headphone. Looked perfect on paper.
My setup before was my laptop > iBasso D6 > Ultrasone Pro900.
To start of, I think the amp section is great, it drives both the K702 and the Pro900 very nicely when using the E9i as an amp and the iBasso D6 as a DAC from my laptop. Especially the K702's. However, this is not why I purchased the E9i. When using it for its intened purpose, as a LOD for the iPod, the music sounds very 2 dimentional and, well, AWFUL. I gave the setup a good 3 weeks of daily use before posting this. I am positive that the iPod's DAC is to blame, and that the E9i is just "working with what its got", but the combination does not sound good at all. This is especially evident with the Ultrasone Pro900 and electronic music. When using the laptop > iBasso D6, the Pro900 envelop you head in tight, precise bass, with a 3D clear separation of instruments. When using the E9i combo, it doesn't really sound any better than using the iPod alone. Nearly half of the low notes are missing all together, and the rest are clumped together, just as it comes out of the iPod jack. With the K702 and rock/vocals, it obviously drives them to much louder levels than what the iPod alone could ever achieve, but their magic (mainly their soundstage and precision) is nowhere to be found. Damn iPod DAC!!! I though I was buying the perfect bedside setup. Not the case!!! Just put in an order for the NuForce Icon iDO.
Just my 2 cents. I am still learning how to describe what I hear.
Edited by mgurvits - 10/3/11 at 1:00pm
Forgot to say I think the built quality is awesome, I really like how the thing looks and want to want to keep it. My iPod touch does sit a little loosely, but not loose enough to cause any issues with song browsing, etc. Just gotta be gentle with it.
EDIT: Wow, just wow.... Got home from work, plugged the K702's into the mini jack, and the left phone doesn't run unless I fiddle with the plug. So much for awesome built quality FiiO!!!! There's the reason I needed to return it. Thank god for Amazon CS.
Edited by mgurvits - 10/3/11 at 6:08pm
Yeah. If you are considering the E9i, keep in mind that you are still limited by the iPod's onboard DAC. And more and more options are coming onto the market that let you bypass it. I'm not sure that the E9i makes sense, when products like the iDo, Pure i20, Fostex HP-P1 are popping up.
Financially, the iDo made more sense to me than the Fostex HP-P1, because it doesn't limit me to its own amp section, doesn't cost ~$700, and has an amp section I can use (unlike Pure i20) until I buy a dedicated amp, amp/dac, or amp and dac.
it wont be the e9i, if you check the audio quality settings when your syncing your ipod you should be able to improve the sound quality however it will never be as good coming out of an ipod compared to your laptop
- FiiO E9i reviews
- › Earbuds Round-Up 35 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 48 seconds ago
- › iFi audio iPower - universal Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Wizard Savanna Giveaway! 4 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 7 minutes ago
- › Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier 11 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM04 Quad Balanced Armature earphones. 11 minutes ago
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Dsnuts
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...