I'm looking for some more info on the FiiO E9i. It seems like the E9 has nearly all 4 and 5 star reviews at Amazon but the E9i has several complaints. However, the complaints are related to things like the headphone jacks or a scratchy potentiometer... things that could just as easily happen to the E9. So is the E9i a well built product?
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Cheap ebay 6120A2 amps - any experience with these? Last post on 7/8/13 at 12:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Would purchasing a headphone amp just for Spotify make a difference? Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- About to make the plunge Last post on 11/24/12 at 1:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- amp for hd 650 Last post on 11/26/12 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone amp for my pc (with AKG 701's) Last post on 10/7/12 at 11:31pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO E9i reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
what may happen with the E9 may also happen with the 9i.
Ok the potentiometer makes a very slight "hschh" when you adjust the volume but not a big deal... for the money the little thing is very good
Wanted to chime in with my impression of the E9i. I had heard about the E9 as a good bang-for-your-buck amp for my newly acquired AKG702's, so when I saw the E9i, it looked like the perfect bedside rig to use with my iTouch. No laptop, no extra cables, just the iTouch, E9i, and choice of headphone. Looked perfect on paper.
My setup before was my laptop > iBasso D6 > Ultrasone Pro900.
To start of, I think the amp section is great, it drives both the K702 and the Pro900 very nicely when using the E9i as an amp and the iBasso D6 as a DAC from my laptop. Especially the K702's. However, this is not why I purchased the E9i. When using it for its intened purpose, as a LOD for the iPod, the music sounds very 2 dimentional and, well, AWFUL. I gave the setup a good 3 weeks of daily use before posting this. I am positive that the iPod's DAC is to blame, and that the E9i is just "working with what its got", but the combination does not sound good at all. This is especially evident with the Ultrasone Pro900 and electronic music. When using the laptop > iBasso D6, the Pro900 envelop you head in tight, precise bass, with a 3D clear separation of instruments. When using the E9i combo, it doesn't really sound any better than using the iPod alone. Nearly half of the low notes are missing all together, and the rest are clumped together, just as it comes out of the iPod jack. With the K702 and rock/vocals, it obviously drives them to much louder levels than what the iPod alone could ever achieve, but their magic (mainly their soundstage and precision) is nowhere to be found. Damn iPod DAC!!! I though I was buying the perfect bedside setup. Not the case!!! Just put in an order for the NuForce Icon iDO.
Just my 2 cents. I am still learning how to describe what I hear.
Edited by mgurvits - 10/3/11 at 1:00pm
Forgot to say I think the built quality is awesome, I really like how the thing looks and want to want to keep it. My iPod touch does sit a little loosely, but not loose enough to cause any issues with song browsing, etc. Just gotta be gentle with it.
EDIT: Wow, just wow.... Got home from work, plugged the K702's into the mini jack, and the left phone doesn't run unless I fiddle with the plug. So much for awesome built quality FiiO!!!! There's the reason I needed to return it. Thank god for Amazon CS.
Edited by mgurvits - 10/3/11 at 6:08pm
Yeah. If you are considering the E9i, keep in mind that you are still limited by the iPod's onboard DAC. And more and more options are coming onto the market that let you bypass it. I'm not sure that the E9i makes sense, when products like the iDo, Pure i20, Fostex HP-P1 are popping up.
Financially, the iDo made more sense to me than the Fostex HP-P1, because it doesn't limit me to its own amp section, doesn't cost ~$700, and has an amp section I can use (unlike Pure i20) until I buy a dedicated amp, amp/dac, or amp and dac.
it wont be the e9i, if you check the audio quality settings when your syncing your ipod you should be able to improve the sound quality however it will never be as good coming out of an ipod compared to your laptop
- FiiO E9i reviews
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 21 seconds ago
- › Recommendations for a compact, single-box solution for the HD600?... 55 seconds ago
- › 2014 bay area little big meet impressions 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 1 minute ago
- › Best UIEM to run with 2 minutes ago
- › Struggling to decide which headphones to buy--neutral/closed back 3 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)