Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fact or crap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fact or crap?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

A rep from a large online headphone retailer told me I could run a pair of AKG Q701s directly from my iphone.  Saying it wouldn't reach the full potential of the headphones but would work just fine.  Yes, no, maybe?

post #2 of 44

It will work but it will sound like crap tongue.gif

post #3 of 44

That person just wants money.

post #4 of 44

You need a good amp to run it, according to many reviews on here.

 

An iphone just won't cut it.

 

If you're not going to look for an amp, then buy something else. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

A rep from a large online headphone retailer told me I could run a pair of AKG Q701s directly from my iphone.  Saying it wouldn't reach the full potential of the headphones but would work just fine.  Yes, no, maybe?



 

post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

A rep from a large online headphone retailer told me I could run a pair of AKG Q701s directly from my iphone.  Saying it wouldn't reach the full potential of the headphones but would work just fine.  Yes, no, maybe?



Technically he is right.

 

(with the addition of a 6.35mm -> 3.5mm adapter) They 'would' work and they 'wouldn't' sound anywhere near their best.

 

post #6 of 44

I've done it. They work fine. Quite listenable and not horrible, but as has already been stated by a bunch of people, not as good as using a better system with them.

post #7 of 44

They would work but something easy to drive like the AD900 would probably sound superior.

post #8 of 44

Fact or crap?

Crappy fact.

 

 

post #9 of 44

Carlosfandango and Currawong have stated it best.

 

I do walk around the house with my Q's plugged into my iPhone.  And I do own a solid-state amp from which I want to upgrade because I want more out of these and other power-hungry headphones, just so you know I'm not deluded about these headphones or the sources that drive them.  Of course I have lower impedance, higher sensitivity cans (for when I'm not wearing 12VDC on my person), but sometimes I just want to hear the 701.

post #10 of 44

To put it simply he told you 100% fact.

post #11 of 44

Crappiest of craps, not to belabor the point! k701smile.gif

post #12 of 44

I have a pair of K702s right here and a Sansa Clip+ as substitute for the iPod. Driven thus, you get sound, but it cannot go very loud, dynamics seem suppressed and bass response is pretty nonexistent - in fact, I would venture that the absence of bass causes the music to sound subjectively less "dynamic". However, as Currawong says, surprisingly listenable.


Edited by Willakan - 9/10/11 at 7:11am
post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 

First of all, thank you all SO MUCH!  I appreciate all the feedback.  Not a single person said "do a search" or made an unhelpful comment, especially to a new poster.  Props to you all.

 

So it sounds like I've got two options, get an amp or get headphones that will perform near their peak potential directly from a portable device.  The AD900s look like a good option to investigate.  Any word on the Beyerdynamic T70ps?  Headphone.com has them listed as coming soon.

 

But assuming I have my irrational heart set on the AKGs how much power do I need?  Are they just on the edge of being efficient enough and pretty much any amp would work?  I'm thinking something like an AirHead but ideally maybe a rechargeable option.  Is that powerful enough?

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

But assuming I have my irrational heart set on the AKGs how much power do I need?  Are they just on the edge of being efficient enough and pretty much any amp would work?  I'm thinking something like an AirHead but ideally maybe a rechargeable option.  Is that powerful enough?


I did the irrational when I chose mine.  Do a search (lol.  but really).  This particular headphone generates a lot of amp rolling because people are trying amps on them only to decide they need something else.  They are picky and they are sorely inefficient (<100 dB/mW or whatever the unit is).  I think there are even people who will go straight to speaker taps to get a powerful, balanced sound out of the 701.

 

Not sure about the Airhead in particular.  But if you do a little bit of searching will find a lot of reading.  Easy picks on these forums are the E9, M-stage, and Valhalla based on the consensus-like praise they get for driving the 701.

 

If you're trying to make the Q701 into a portable, you really need to consider a different headphone.  Transportable, take it to your office, sure.  Make sure there's an E9 or an Objective2 or something similar waiting on your desk though.

 

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

First of all, thank you all SO MUCH!  I appreciate all the feedback.  Not a single person said "do a search" or made an unhelpful comment, especially to a new poster.  Props to you all.

 

So it sounds like I've got two options, get an amp or get headphones that will perform near their peak potential directly from a portable device.  The AD900s look like a good option to investigate.  Any word on the Beyerdynamic T70ps?  Headphone.com has them listed as coming soon.

 

But assuming I have my irrational heart set on the AKGs how much power do I need?  Are they just on the edge of being efficient enough and pretty much any amp would work?  I'm thinking something like an AirHead but ideally maybe a rechargeable option.  Is that powerful enough?


Heya,

 

You keep referring to a portable device. Are you planning on walking around with open air headphones that are hard to drive? Or are you simply referring to it since it's your primary source of music even when simply sitting at home? Also, what's your maximum budget? And what kind of sound are you looking for honestly? Do you want analytical? Neutral? Bass heavy? You mentioned the T70P so I have to ask, as it seems you're willing to spend $600, which is very, very close to the entry cost of some very good flagship headphones (especially used) which would be a very nice thing to jump to if you're already willing to drop this kind of money right away like this.

 

Very best,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fact or crap?