I have the BAT VK55 tube amp, which I like and would hate to sell in order to fund a dedicated head amp (such as Woo WA5). Since both the HE-6 and K1000 can connect directly to an amp's speaker posts, do you think a speaker amp like the VK55 is a good choice?
Related Forum Threads
- Balanced headphones w/ an unbalanced amp Last post on 1/14/13 at 3:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Cheaper solid state dedicated headphone amps that power the HE-6... Last post on 7/27/12 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The point of an amped iDevice? (And external SS amps in general) Last post on 2/5/12 at 6:18am in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Connecting HE-6 or K1000 directly to tube amp's speaker's postspost #1 of 79/8/11 at 11:16pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 79/9/11 at 4:13pmI've not heard the BAT but it would be a perfect amp. You'll want to put the load resistors on the output of the amp for the 6 but this should sound killer. See the 6 thread for info on load resistors. They are used to bring the load to speaker range.post #3 of 79/10/11 at 3:48ampost #4 of 79/10/11 at 7:34amThread Starter
Oh I was under the impression that the HE-6 comes with a cable terminated with banana plugs that can connect directly to a power amp - is that not true? Are you saying that the load resistor is necessary regardless?post #5 of 79/10/11 at 8:05amThe HE6 is shipped with a 4 pin xlr. It comes with a 4 pin xlr to 1/4" headphone jack. You will need to either order said cable, have one made, or modify the existing by removing the headphone jack and terminating with the connector of your choice (banana plug/spades).
the issue of the load resistors is that speaker amps are designed to see 4-8 ohm loads. The HE-6 are 50 ohms. If your amp is a transformer coupled output, the higher load will put a lot of stress on the transformer. A 10 ohm/10 watt non-inductive resistor wired across the terminal will bring the load impedence down to the amp's normal range. HE also makes an impedence box you can buy that does this for you.
I've been using a solid state amp and that seems to do just fine without the balanced load but for safety, I've kept the resistors in place.post #6 of 79/10/11 at 8:20am
Can't speak for the HE-6, but you can plug the K-1000s right into the terminals if you have the adapter cable and they should sound great with that amp. WA6 would be a downgrade IMHO
Edited by robm321 - 9/10/11 at 8:22am
- Connecting HE-6 or K1000 directly to tube amp's speaker's posts
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 3 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-XC upgraded and or LCD-3 prefazor for Schiit Ragnarok 1 minute ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 3 minutes ago
- › Selling Burr Brown OPA627, OPA637 (AP/BP) 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin iHA-6 - the new "affordable reference" class balanced desktop... 6 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Upcoming Dedicated headphone amp release. 7 minutes ago
- › Rose (弱水) Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity EB-50 Review 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...