I have the BAT VK55 tube amp, which I like and would hate to sell in order to fund a dedicated head amp (such as Woo WA5). Since both the HE-6 and K1000 can connect directly to an amp's speaker posts, do you think a speaker amp like the VK55 is a good choice?
Related Forum Threads
- Balanced headphones w/ an unbalanced amp Last post on 1/14/13 at 3:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Cheaper solid state dedicated headphone amps that power the HE-6... Last post on 7/27/12 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The point of an amped iDevice? (And external SS amps in general) Last post on 2/5/12 at 6:18am in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR-2 DAP Review And Impressions - Expatinjapan Head Pie Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2...
Connecting HE-6 or K1000 directly to tube amp's speaker's postspost #1 of 79/8/11 at 11:16pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 79/9/11 at 4:13pmI've not heard the BAT but it would be a perfect amp. You'll want to put the load resistors on the output of the amp for the 6 but this should sound killer. See the 6 thread for info on load resistors. They are used to bring the load to speaker range.post #3 of 79/10/11 at 3:48ampost #4 of 79/10/11 at 7:34amThread Starter
Oh I was under the impression that the HE-6 comes with a cable terminated with banana plugs that can connect directly to a power amp - is that not true? Are you saying that the load resistor is necessary regardless?post #5 of 79/10/11 at 8:05amThe HE6 is shipped with a 4 pin xlr. It comes with a 4 pin xlr to 1/4" headphone jack. You will need to either order said cable, have one made, or modify the existing by removing the headphone jack and terminating with the connector of your choice (banana plug/spades).
the issue of the load resistors is that speaker amps are designed to see 4-8 ohm loads. The HE-6 are 50 ohms. If your amp is a transformer coupled output, the higher load will put a lot of stress on the transformer. A 10 ohm/10 watt non-inductive resistor wired across the terminal will bring the load impedence down to the amp's normal range. HE also makes an impedence box you can buy that does this for you.
I've been using a solid state amp and that seems to do just fine without the balanced load but for safety, I've kept the resistors in place.post #6 of 79/10/11 at 8:20am
Can't speak for the HE-6, but you can plug the K-1000s right into the terminals if you have the adapter cable and they should sound great with that amp. WA6 would be a downgrade IMHO
Edited by robm321 - 9/10/11 at 8:22am
- Connecting HE-6 or K1000 directly to tube amp's speaker's posts
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 29 seconds ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 38 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 1 minute ago
- › 1989 VS 2017............M.............E!! 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 4 minutes ago
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › TFZ Series 1 by Hisoundfi
- › LH Labs Geek Out V2+ by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...