New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 = Disappointment - Page 3

post #31 of 265
Thread Starter 

I actually didn't buy the W4 for it's bass. In which I honestly don't find all that good. Quality wise that is.

 

I like neutral sound, but sometimes it gets the point of being lifeless. HD600 was excellent in being neutral and fun.

 

Tried them some more today, after being burned in for (only) 10 hours. Still sound about the same. They just don't sound all that advanced to me. I actually got the Triple Fi 10 on a loan today (waiting for my PFE to arrive), and got to test it out. The Triple Fi on the other hand is really stellar! It sounds a lot more realistic than the W4, and it doesn't fatigue me at all. While I wouldn't say the W4 fatigues me, it's treble definitely irritates me. Again, not to the point where I throw them out of my ear, but enough to where I'll still take my JVC's over these any day.


Edited by Katun - 9/9/11 at 4:30pm
post #32 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


Probably. But it's kinda sad because I wanted the benefits of 4 drivers.

 

Just don't like it. Listened to it a bit more and there is a mega spike somewhere in the treble.


Wow that strange,a mega spike in the treble , the treble on the w4 is one of the lightest and safest out there that i have heard on an iem , the w4 sounds at its best with tips that go in deep ,i did not like any of the included tips ,currently use my home made duel flange tips made from two single flange tips from the eq7 and a comply core.

 

post #33 of 265

I've never tested the Westone 4, but I did not like the Westone 3 (Hot and Sibilant highs IMO)  or UM3X ( Boring and too much mids IMO).... And I liked a lot the Triple.fi 10 PRO. So maybe you should think about the JH5 PRO by JH AUDIO.

 

Rodrigo

post #34 of 265
Thread Starter 

Okay. Last update before I send these off tomorrow.

 

Going from the Triple 10's to these made the treble even worse. I don't know what it is, or why it's there, but the treble on these is really quite mediocre. Even when I EQ down the spike (somewhere in the 9K-13K), the rest of the treble just sounds thin and unnatural. Everything else is just decent. Now, I don't mean to lay so much hatred on these, but I'm not going to sugarcoat my impressions just cause these are flagships with 8 drivers total. Kudos to Westone for perfecting the shape and fit of their IEM's, because the fitting is just fantastic. Shame about the sound though. It does make me want to try other models in the series though. Half tempted to try the W1 or W2 and EQ the heck out of it. Dunno yet.

 

If you like the W4, awesome. I hope it's great for you, I really do. But I honestly find them as one of the lesser IEMs I've tried.


Edited by Katun - 9/9/11 at 9:47pm
post #35 of 265

Woot! I love my Triple.Fi 10s.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

I actually didn't buy the W4 for it's bass. In which I honestly don't find all that good. Quality wise that is.

 

I like neutral sound, but sometimes it gets the point of being lifeless. HD600 was excellent in being neutral and fun.

 

Tried them some more today, after being burned in for (only) 10 hours. Still sound about the same. They just don't sound all that advanced to me. I actually got the Triple Fi 10 on a loan today (waiting for my PFE to arrive), and got to test it out. The Triple Fi on the other hand is really stellar! It sounds a lot more realistic than the W4, and it doesn't fatigue me at all. While I wouldn't say the W4 fatigues me, it's treble definitely irritates me. Again, not to the point where I throw them out of my ear, but enough to where I'll still take my JVC's over these any day.



 

post #36 of 265

This thread is really putting me off getting  the Westone 4, and urging me to keep my triple fi 10s.

post #37 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Okay. Last update before I send these off tomorrow.

 

Going from the Triple 10's to these made the treble even worse. I don't know what it is, or why it's there, but the treble on these is really quite mediocre. Even when I EQ down the spike (somewhere in the 9K-13K), the rest of the treble just sounds thin and unnatural. Everything else is just decent. Now, I don't mean to lay so much hatred on these, but I'm not going to sugarcoat my impressions just cause these are flagships with 8 drivers total. Kudos to Westone for perfecting the shape and fit of their IEM's, because the fitting is just fantastic. Shame about the sound though. It does make me want to try other models in the series though. Half tempted to try the W1 or W2 and EQ the heck out of it. Dunno yet.

 

If you like the W4, awesome. I hope it's great for you, I really do. But I honestly find them as one of the lesser IEMs I've tried.



Considering the V-shape sound signature of the Triple Fi, I am really surprised at this.

 

I have only auditioned the Triple Fi, but considering how laidback the treble I have in my W4 compared to what I have heard of the Triple Fi... yeah, your ears are definitely different from what most W4 owners so far have heard.

post #38 of 265

In the TF10's defense, I quite honestly see it's v-shaped signature as generally more fun sounding and appealing to the masses, while the W4's nearly dead-neutral signature won't appeal to most, Many? Certainly. Most? Doubt it. I've been there myself. I personally am not a fan of the TF10, because me and recessed mids (by even the slightest) do NOT get along; not now, not ever. Nevertheless, that doesn't negate the fact that the TF10 is still one hell of an in-ear, and I must give credit where due. It earns my respect in more than one area, but as far as personal preference is concerned, of the Ultimate Ear line-up, the SF5PRO remains my most preferred, as its much closer to neutral than the TF10, and is also a wonderfully fun sounding in-ear.

post #39 of 265

TF10 Pro is pretty accurate. It's like ER4P on steriods with a much larger soundstage.  Much more lively than W4 to my ears

post #40 of 265

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

TF10 Pro is pretty accurate. It's like ER4P on steriods with a much larger soundstage.  Much more lively than W4 to my ears


Kindly disagree. The ER4 is dead-neutral, and very natural sounding. The two share little to no resemblance IMO. I prefer the ER4 10 out of 10 times, no ifs and buts. Not to mention, the TF10's isn't nearly as analytical sounding as the ER4 IMO.

post #41 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

TF10 Pro is pretty accurate. It's like ER4P on steriods with a much larger soundstage.  Much more lively than W4 to my ears



I disagree on the accuracy comparison to the ER4P... but I absolutely agree with the TF10 sounding more lively than the W4. tongue.gif

post #42 of 265

For the record, Ultimate Ears marketed TF10 Pro as a universal UE10 (same internals I believe) which was their most neutral and flat IEM.  But I believe I read where Jerry tuned the TF10 Pro mid bass a bit stronger to make it a more fun sounding.

 

I think TF10Pro bass is exceptional. No hump while extending very deep.

 

Sorry to digress.  This is W4 thread.


Edited by Spyro - 9/10/11 at 9:08am
post #43 of 265
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post

Considering the V-shape sound signature of the Triple Fi, I am really surprised at this.

 

I have only auditioned the Triple Fi, but considering how laidback the treble I have in my W4 compared to what I have heard of the Triple Fi... yeah, your ears are definitely different from what most W4 owners so far have heard.


See, I'm still even finding the Triple Fi to have less bass impact than the W4. Neither one quite does it for me in bass. Maybe I'm a dynamic?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

In the TF10's defense, I quite honestly see it's v-shaped signature as generally more fun sounding and appealing to the masses, while the W4's nearly dead-neutral signature won't appeal to most, Many? Certainly. Most? Doubt it. I've been there myself. I personally am not a fan of the TF10, because me and recessed mids (by even the slightest) do NOT get along; not now, not ever. Nevertheless, that doesn't negate the fact that the TF10 is still one hell of an in-ear, and I must give credit where due. It earns my respect in more than one area, but as far as personal preference is concerned, of the Ultimate Ear line-up, the SF5PRO remains my most preferred, as its much closer to neutral than the TF10, and is also a wonderfully fun sounding in-ear.


It's strange because I'm hearing everyone mention how dead neutral the W4 is. My interpretation of neutral does not include overemphasized shimmery treble. Somethings wrong with the bass to, just cannot quite put my finger on it. Midrange is alright, but I'd still prefer more from it. I probably should test them more, but I swear the Triple Fi has more mids than the W4. I'm not hearing a recession like everyone mentions. Overall though, I really like it's sound, except the bottom end is way too thin. And for some reason, IEMs are harder to impress me when it comes to bass; it always seems they don't extend as deeper or have as good as texture as their full sized counterparts. Even headphones like Q701, HD600, AD900.

 

post #44 of 265

Were your W4's purchased new, or used? I'm quite honestly beginning to think you may have a bad set on your hands. I find it hard to believe that the treble is even slightly intolerable. I've owned the W4's twice now, and each time, I've heard them no different. The mids are definitely not placed behind the high/lows (as is the case with the TF10's), nor are the highs overemphasized, and nor are they bass light; on the contrary, they just aren't bass heavy. Trust me, I have my fair share of tracks where sibilance is nearly unavoidable, and even then, the W4 was always rather forgiving with said tracks, while many others (SE535 for instance), not so forgiving. While it's obvious you may very well be hearing much different, I can't help but think you have a bad pair on your hands.

post #45 of 265
Thread Starter 

I cannot help but think that either, because these aren't the least bit impressive.

Bought them brand new from Amazon for $365 or something. Not from a seller.

 

EDIT: Just got my PFE in the mail. I've heard these things are pretty dang neutral with the grey filters.

I guess it's me, because these are too bright as well. It sounds somewhat similar, yet better than the W4.


Edited by Katun - 9/10/11 at 11:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: