New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 = Disappointment - Page 15

post #211 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDEROAN View Post

you might want to try this...this is my second go around with the W4's! the only reason why is because they where almost perfect for me the first time but lacked polish to the sound,

 

ah, if i had known, earlier, i wouldnt have sold mine but given this a try. just shipped them today :P

 

anyways, thanks for all the info, maybe next time for me.

im sure others will appreciate also ^^

post #212 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2625 View Post

ah, if i had known, earlier, i wouldnt have sold mine but given this a try. just shipped them today :P

 

anyways, thanks for all the info, maybe next time for me.

im sure others will appreciate also ^^

 

Hey SS, your welcome, and yes sounds familiar, I did the same thing, shortly after I sold mine, is when the collar/mod was talked about, and I started to wonder, ggrrr hhmmm, lol, and when the 30%off came around with EarphoneSolutions I had to jump on it, pretty much got them for what I sold them, which was very nice, but in the beginning of this thread ericp10 mentions using larger diameter tips, and it really helping to unveil the sound?

 

but yes if an opportunity comes around give it a try, I found it to really improving on what is already there, there where oh so close to being a gret sounding IEM, and now there pretty much are! 

 

IEM 101, the basics tips and there fit do make a big difference with what and how we are hearing the sound!

 

who knows if after I get my ASG-2's, I just might wind up selling these off again, I will have to see/hear first, if so I will hollar at you with a great price! won't be for a few of months though?

post #213 of 265
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your contributions, Anderoan.

post #214 of 265

I keep comparing my Westone 4 (449$) to my HiFiMAN RE0 (49$) for the last 3 hours;

 

And with songs like these 3:

"Carter Burwell - Plus Que Ma Propre Vie"

"Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz - Cold"

"Asher Quinn - Gloria"

 

I keep liking the RE0 more !!

 

I made a table, but i'll try to convey it here with words:

bass: W4 too strong, RE0 too weak  (but can up it with EQ)

treble: RE0's extends better

Male and Female vocals: RE0's both are better

Speed/Attack/PRat: better on W4, miles ahead of RE0.

details: can hear more on RE0

temperature: myh personal feeling is that W4 is warm 2 stages from neutral, while RE0 is neutral-cold (one stage above neutral)

outside noise: W4 isolates better

air: I have more air on RE0 (still sometimes not enough)

fatigue: re0 fatigues me a little more, so i use the Sennheiser foams

W4's sound is more refined

W4 is more forgiving to corrupted source (or just low bit-rate files)

 

what sound sig. am i looking for here? 

is it ONLY analytical ?

post #215 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal1983 View Post

I keep comparing my Westone 4 (449$) to my HiFiMAN RE0 (49$) for the last 3 hours;

 

And with songs like these 3:

"Carter Burwell - Plus Que Ma Propre Vie"

"Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz - Cold"

"Asher Quinn - Gloria"

 

I keep liking the RE0 more !!

 

I made a table, but i'll try to convey it here with words:

bass: W4 too strong, RE0 too weak  (but can up it with EQ)

treble: RE0's extends better

Male and Female vocals: RE0's both are better

Speed/Attack/PRat: better on W4, miles ahead of RE0.

details: can hear more on RE0

temperature: myh personal feeling is that W4 is warm 2 stages from neutral, while RE0 is neutral-cold (one stage above neutral)

outside noise: W4 isolates better

air: I have more air on RE0 (still sometimes not enough)

fatigue: re0 fatigues me a little more, so i use the Sennheiser foams

W4's sound is more refined

W4 is more forgiving to corrupted source (or just low bit-rate files)

 

what sound sig. am i looking for here? 

is it ONLY analytical ?

 

i think that re-272 is your next favorite iem.

post #216 of 265

I would probably agree that it is the sound signature that is not impressing you, not the actual sound quality.

post #217 of 265

Hi guys! 

 

Comply tips, Stars tips, ...and so on! W4 is realy Tips Dependant IEM!!

The SMO (Sony Hybrid mod) work fine for me and forsome other Headfiers here but... have find another similar alternative that shake my head a bit more!  Maybe you'l love it either!

I call this Code: PA747A Mod.

I dont want to detailed here all the SMO procedures, almost  Headfiers here knows already!

Simple, all you need is 2 things.

* The plastic Tube, from any old, or unused foamy tips that to big for your canal. Carefully clean. Using some alccol or varnish nail remover can help. Be carefull    
...with alcool! Or use any of your personal receipes.

** And finally, a pair of "SHURE PA749A Soft Flex Sleeves" (for E2 and Quiet Spot)
(There coming from my old deceded E2c)  

Sony Hybrid sleeve [M] is to small & thin  (IMO) It's so why am using now the Shure Mod!

Keep me informed about your opinions,  the sound test you did with!

If someone need some work prodedures picts letmeknow, but, I think it will needless!!

Bonne chance!

EAGLES - Hotel California live ( Hell Freezes Over album)   AWESOME!

Tips of the triks:
*  Before inserted your final work, coat lightly the noozle with some... your personal favorite grease... from your fronthead, nose or any kind of body grease.
You can either use "Oto-Ease" if your out of sebum!

** Open you mouth  a bit before inserted in your canal will help!

 

wink_face.gif

post #218 of 265
I just think people need to do their home work before buying these. They are a great iem in my opinion. When your buying these your not buying a very coloured earphone. Try might be coloured a little bit but not very much. If you want something that's going to sounds good with pretty much everything but the senns ie80 or something like that. The w4 is going to give you a very clean balanced sound I've been reading this thread thinking wow these comments don't compare to what people say about these on the appreciation thread. Each there own I guess. I will agree that these sound better amped IMO but they still sound good to me straight out of my classic. But I knew what I was buying when I got them. This is all my opinion of course. Happy listening smily_headphones1.gif
post #219 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

I just think people need to do their home work before buying these. They are a great iem in my opinion. When your buying these your not buying a very coloured earphone. Try might be coloured a little bit but not very much. If you want something that's going to sounds good with pretty much everything but the senns ie80 or something like that. The w4 is going to give you a very clean balanced sound I've been reading this thread thinking wow these comments don't compare to what people say about these on the appreciation thread. Each there own I guess. I will agree that these sound better amped IMO but they still sound good to me straight out of my classic. But I knew what I was buying when I got them. This is all my opinion of course. Happy listening smily_headphones1.gif

I agree.  i think people are buying these listening to them straight out of a ipod and then drawing a conclusion.

 

that is NO justice to the W4 they have much much much more potential with exceptional counter source equipment. pair the w4/r with a good dac/amp/cable/interconnects and you have a beast...........listen to them straight out of a ipod well thats no justice to the customer spending 500.00 on them. thats like buying a ferrari to drive the speed limit, not untill you floor it will you realise why you spent so much on a car.....

post #220 of 265

So they need to be used with a $1,000 mp3 player and a $100 amp to be any good? Idk why, but it kind of annoys me when "audiophiles" make these kind of arguments.

post #221 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
dac/amp/cable/interconnects

 

I must be the only one who hates words like this when it comes to portable.

 

Its a big hassle making sure dac/amps are charged everytime  (the same way the player has to be charged)

Interconnects need to be the right length, making sure lengthwise the whole setup doesnt become a burden.

post #222 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime Lurker View Post

So they need to be used with a $1,000 mp3 player and a $100 amp to be any good? Idk why, but it kind of annoys me when "audiophiles" make these kind of arguments.

Yeah it's a joke. If you can't just plug them into your music player and stick them in your ears and get great sound, they are not worth it. Music on the move should be quick and easy and cheap. The expense and the extra gubbins that come with audiophilia are really the same quicksands that engulf anyone who gets beyond a certain point in their hobby.
post #223 of 265
Quote:
I agree.  i think people are buying these listening to them straight out of a ipod and then drawing a conclusion.

 

Which is what you are supposed to do.  If I wanted to carry around a DAC, interconnects and an amp, I would listen to my home system.

 

The DAC in an ipod is as good as any other separate DAC. 

 

The amplifier amplifies the signal it is given, nothing more.  The W4s are efficient enough without an amp.

 

Don't even get me started on cables which make zero audible difference.
 

post #224 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat01 View Post

Which is what you are supposed to do.  If I wanted to carry around a DAC, interconnects and an amp, I would listen to my home system.

The DAC in an ipod is as good as any other separate DAC. 

The amplifier amplifies the signal it is given, nothing more.  The W4s are efficient enough without an amp.

Don't even get me started on cables which make zero audible difference.

 

Couldn't agree more.
post #225 of 265
I do amp but find the W4's very listenable out of an ipod touch when needed, a little warm punch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: