Glad you thought the GR07 sounded good at least :-). I suspect I won't be able to maximize the FX51 but will still pick up a pair if I can find them. I want to do it locally but have never had good luck finding some of the JVC models in Canada.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Question about IEMs vs headphones Last post on 7/19/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Earsonic SM3 alternative? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for some neutral IEMs that can summon some grunt when needed Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Westone 4 = Disappointment - Page 11post #151 of 2659/28/11 at 7:09pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 2659/28/11 at 7:11pmQuote:
you ******! and you made me get one
missread comment. I thought you had them already, apologies for calling you ******
Edited by JamesMcProgger - 9/28/11 at 7:12pmpost #153 of 2659/28/11 at 7:46pmpost #154 of 2659/28/11 at 7:57pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah, but you seem to be endorsing quite a bit. Most are quite skeptical and throw me off. You're a bit different is all I'm saying.
Yup, about $25 on Amazon. Free shipping if you have Prime or do Super Saver. Can't believe that price.Quote:
Yup, loved the GR07. If you do pick up a pair of the 51's, just go crazy with the EQ. I'm pretty certain you'll find something you like. I hope.post #155 of 2659/28/11 at 8:05pmQuote:
I don't think good sound should be expensive... and I do not want the Dunu Trident to become the new RE0.post #156 of 2659/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Katun
It's funny, because I myself can get away with calling these perfect. First, you've got to factor in the price alone. $25, really? That's something even the average Joe could walk up and buy, let alone a dedicated audiophile. Then, you've got the comfort and fit. These are the only IEM in existence where I can insert both sides in seconds, and have some of the best isolation and comfort I've experienced. No fuss, no imbalance, no problem. And of course, you've got to factor in EQ. These can get away with being "perfect", because you can customize them to achieve that. I've done that for my ears, and all other owners are sure to do it for theirs. Sounds bloody fantastic too me.
Let's not forget that the average joe here at Head-Fi is just a step (or two) ahead of the average joe out there.post #157 of 2659/28/11 at 11:16pmpost #158 of 26510/14/11 at 5:03pm
This thread is exciting.... what kind of cown player do you have? Planning to pick up the W4 but after reading this I'm going to listen to the JVC and find out !post #159 of 26510/14/11 at 9:28pm
I have the Cowon X7 and the Westone 4s sound incredible with my unit. I have it EQ'd though and it does make a big difference. The Westone's can handle any genre I throw at them and are definitely the most versatile earphones I've ever heard. I used to have the Westone 3s which have more sparkle but after spending time with the 4s I've grown to absolutely love them and have become addicted! I can't wait to put them in and just listen for hours...you don't even realize they're in since they're so comfortable. They are seriously life changing!post #160 of 26510/15/11 at 10:54pmQuote:
Haha.post #161 of 26510/15/11 at 10:54pm
I posted my review of the FXC51 here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kitekis-adventures-in-audioland-latest-memoir-jvc-ha-fxc51-r/285#post_7822383 and here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kitekis-adventures-in-audioland-latest-memoir-jvc-ha-fxc51-r/315#post_7824412post #162 of 26510/15/11 at 11:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Katun
Alright, so I got these today.
I admire the packaging, that's for sure. The tip choice is even more diverse then what Monster gives you with the Pro Gold. Plenty of tips, sizes, and types to satisfy any listener. I tried the oval grey tips and found those to be a perfect fit. Speaking of fit, these are really quite nice! I've never liked over the ear style IEMs, but these really alter my current line of thinking toward them. Very comfortable, fits great, and isolates surprisingly well. Gotta love that braided cable. No complaints about packaging, accessories, comfort, isolation, or design.
But now, my biggest complaint. The sound.
Popped 'em in my ears and hit play. What? This is it? Never heard more than two drivers per ear, but this is just disappointing. Somewhere in the treble is too hot, not sure where. But it's just a small little breach in the treble that is bugging me and causing fatigue. The sound as a whole just sounds sorta thin and is actually quite boring. Vocals don't even sound very natural. There really is just nothing that stood out as impressive to me, except possibly the separation provided by the four drivers. But then again, nothing to write home about.
Okay, so I take 'em out and try out my beloved FXC51 (heavily EQ'ed might I add). Holy crap! Now this is good sound! Vocals sounded MUCH more realistic, as did pretty much every aspect of the sound. Each part of the sound had better texture and weight, and nothing in the sound bored me. Just more excellent all around. No fatigue either. I'll have to test them a bit more against the W4, but I'll I'm hearing is pure superiority. Makes me wonder why I paid $365 for them and only $25 for the FXC51. I guess you know which one I'll be keeping...
Well, hopefully the PFE and GR07 fair better...
Surprisingly enough, some people like the thin wafer airy stab you in the ear with no bass, sound....
I don't get it either, but to each their own.
You came from the Pro golds so it was sort of a huge transfer but, i feel you 100%!!
Try some IE8's, i think they will be equally happy with those as you are unhappy with thesepost #163 of 26510/16/11 at 12:18am
The problem I have is there are probably plenty of 'phones out there that punch above their weight if you EQ them specifically to your preference. That should be a HUGE qualifier. Sometimes I can't even use EQ(at work, Google Music and other music sites). Can you EQ in soundstage?
Would still be interested in giving these a shot though. They'll probably be a drunk purchase. Katun, maybe you should try the FX700. It'd be interesting to see if you preferred these over JVC's own flagship.post #164 of 26510/16/11 at 1:43am
With high quality components Eq'ing shouldn't be needed, and I generally look at it as a sin, the same way I look at devices that aren't clean and flat, i.e. sources like the Cowon S9, so I was pretty skeptical when Katun said the FXC51 only shines after Eq'ing... on his Cowon!
I used to Eq all my cheap earbuds and IEM's, the JVC is cheap so I can make an exception for it, esp. as it has too much uncontrolled bass, it's mostly just a matter of removing the bass signal, not trying to boost something that's not there... however it does markedly improve with a slight boost along the 1kHz~3kHz area.post #165 of 26510/18/11 at 6:41am
Kiteki are you in Japan?
Do you know any good website there? I'm stuck in Korea and they don't carry the JVC's here. I wasn't being sarcastic about them. I also don't believe good sound should be expensive. But I will make a custom mold , thanks to life hacker, and see how far I can take these things :)
Also I'm picking up the Cowon X7. I tried the IE 8 which were awesome but what harm is $25 in this hobby
Edited by Idreamofsakura - 10/18/11 at 6:42amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 = Disappointment
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › crinacle's FR measurement database (150 IEMs measured) 19 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 5 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 7 minutes ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 7 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 8 minutes ago
- › vibro veritas, measuring our IEMs like a pro with amateur budget. 9 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 9 minutes ago
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear