Glad you thought the GR07 sounded good at least :-). I suspect I won't be able to maximize the FX51 but will still pick up a pair if I can find them. I want to do it locally but have never had good luck finding some of the JVC models in Canada.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Question about IEMs vs headphones Last post on 7/19/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Earsonic SM3 alternative? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for some neutral IEMs that can summon some grunt when needed Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
wouldn't recommend if you're going to pay for $100 or above. Reasonable price should have been around $70. The only selling point is the open soundstage, would make a goid pair for movies or...
Just purchased to see if the review-ratings here were any close to reality. Not-so-much. But it's good to have it with you if you want to occasionally let a friend listen with you if you...
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Westone 4 = Disappointment - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
you ******! and you made me get one
missread comment. I thought you had them already, apologies for calling you ******
Edited by JamesMcProgger - 9/28/11 at 7:12pm
Yeah, but you seem to be endorsing quite a bit. Most are quite skeptical and throw me off. You're a bit different is all I'm saying.
Yup, about $25 on Amazon. Free shipping if you have Prime or do Super Saver. Can't believe that price.
Yup, loved the GR07. If you do pick up a pair of the 51's, just go crazy with the EQ. I'm pretty certain you'll find something you like. I hope.
I don't think good sound should be expensive... and I do not want the Dunu Trident to become the new RE0.
It's funny, because I myself can get away with calling these perfect. First, you've got to factor in the price alone. $25, really? That's something even the average Joe could walk up and buy, let alone a dedicated audiophile. Then, you've got the comfort and fit. These are the only IEM in existence where I can insert both sides in seconds, and have some of the best isolation and comfort I've experienced. No fuss, no imbalance, no problem. And of course, you've got to factor in EQ. These can get away with being "perfect", because you can customize them to achieve that. I've done that for my ears, and all other owners are sure to do it for theirs. Sounds bloody fantastic too me.
Let's not forget that the average joe here at Head-Fi is just a step (or two) ahead of the average joe out there.
This thread is exciting.... what kind of cown player do you have? Planning to pick up the W4 but after reading this I'm going to listen to the JVC and find out !
I have the Cowon X7 and the Westone 4s sound incredible with my unit. I have it EQ'd though and it does make a big difference. The Westone's can handle any genre I throw at them and are definitely the most versatile earphones I've ever heard. I used to have the Westone 3s which have more sparkle but after spending time with the 4s I've grown to absolutely love them and have become addicted! I can't wait to put them in and just listen for hours...you don't even realize they're in since they're so comfortable. They are seriously life changing!
I posted my review of the FXC51 here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kitekis-adventures-in-audioland-latest-memoir-jvc-ha-fxc51-r/285#post_7822383 and here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kitekis-adventures-in-audioland-latest-memoir-jvc-ha-fxc51-r/315#post_7824412
Alright, so I got these today.
I admire the packaging, that's for sure. The tip choice is even more diverse then what Monster gives you with the Pro Gold. Plenty of tips, sizes, and types to satisfy any listener. I tried the oval grey tips and found those to be a perfect fit. Speaking of fit, these are really quite nice! I've never liked over the ear style IEMs, but these really alter my current line of thinking toward them. Very comfortable, fits great, and isolates surprisingly well. Gotta love that braided cable. No complaints about packaging, accessories, comfort, isolation, or design.
But now, my biggest complaint. The sound.
Popped 'em in my ears and hit play. What? This is it? Never heard more than two drivers per ear, but this is just disappointing. Somewhere in the treble is too hot, not sure where. But it's just a small little breach in the treble that is bugging me and causing fatigue. The sound as a whole just sounds sorta thin and is actually quite boring. Vocals don't even sound very natural. There really is just nothing that stood out as impressive to me, except possibly the separation provided by the four drivers. But then again, nothing to write home about.
Okay, so I take 'em out and try out my beloved FXC51 (heavily EQ'ed might I add). Holy crap! Now this is good sound! Vocals sounded MUCH more realistic, as did pretty much every aspect of the sound. Each part of the sound had better texture and weight, and nothing in the sound bored me. Just more excellent all around. No fatigue either. I'll have to test them a bit more against the W4, but I'll I'm hearing is pure superiority. Makes me wonder why I paid $365 for them and only $25 for the FXC51. I guess you know which one I'll be keeping...
Well, hopefully the PFE and GR07 fair better...
Surprisingly enough, some people like the thin wafer airy stab you in the ear with no bass, sound....
I don't get it either, but to each their own.
You came from the Pro golds so it was sort of a huge transfer but, i feel you 100%!!
Try some IE8's, i think they will be equally happy with those as you are unhappy with these
The problem I have is there are probably plenty of 'phones out there that punch above their weight if you EQ them specifically to your preference. That should be a HUGE qualifier. Sometimes I can't even use EQ(at work, Google Music and other music sites). Can you EQ in soundstage?
Would still be interested in giving these a shot though. They'll probably be a drunk purchase. Katun, maybe you should try the FX700. It'd be interesting to see if you preferred these over JVC's own flagship.
With high quality components Eq'ing shouldn't be needed, and I generally look at it as a sin, the same way I look at devices that aren't clean and flat, i.e. sources like the Cowon S9, so I was pretty skeptical when Katun said the FXC51 only shines after Eq'ing... on his Cowon!
I used to Eq all my cheap earbuds and IEM's, the JVC is cheap so I can make an exception for it, esp. as it has too much uncontrolled bass, it's mostly just a matter of removing the bass signal, not trying to boost something that's not there... however it does markedly improve with a slight boost along the 1kHz~3kHz area.
Kiteki are you in Japan?
Do you know any good website there? I'm stuck in Korea and they don't carry the JVC's here. I wasn't being sarcastic about them. I also don't believe good sound should be expensive. But I will make a custom mold , thanks to life hacker, and see how far I can take these things :)
Also I'm picking up the Cowon X7. I tried the IE 8 which were awesome but what harm is $25 in this hobby
Edited by Idreamofsakura - 10/18/11 at 6:42am
- Westone 4 = Disappointment
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Three Word Story 1 second ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015) 20 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 32 seconds ago
- › Question about opamps 48 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › The Meaning of Life 5 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 5 minutes ago
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2