New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 = Disappointment - Page 9

post #121 of 265

I have to say, if you've tuned your ears to a heavily eq-ed signal nothing without that same balance will sound very good to you. Much like your eyes adjust to different color balance (temperature) in light, your ears do the same with the balance of the audio you hear.

 

If you heavily eq your listening equipment I suggest not buying anything else without the intention of meticulously tuning the new gear into your listening style, especially if you decide to publicly put a product down.

post #122 of 265
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

I have to say, if you've tuned your ears to a heavily eq-ed signal nothing without that same balance will sound very good to you. Much like your eyes adjust to different color balance (temperature) in light, your ears do the same with the balance of the audio you hear.

 

If you heavily eq your listening equipment I suggest not buying anything else without the intention of meticulously tuning the new gear into your listening style, especially if you decide to publicly put a product down.


Um, I heavily EQ'ed the sound so it would sound as realistic, natural, and balanced as possible. I haven't heard a single IEM to date that sounds as "right" as the $25 pair I have now. In fact, I've only heard probably two or three full sized that gets the balance and tonality as good...

 

90% of the headphones I buy sound "just" good. But I don't settle for that.

post #123 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


Um, I heavily EQ'ed the sound so it would sound as realistic, natural, and balanced as possible. I haven't heard a single IEM to date that sounds as "right" as the $25 pair I have now. In fact, I've only heard probably two or three full sized that gets the balance and tonality as good...

 

90% of the headphones I buy sound "just" good. But I don't settle for that.


Tried it on ibuds? They sound great with EQ.

 

post #124 of 265
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSlimSeto View Post


Tried it on ibuds? They sound great with EQ.

 

Is that supposed to be sarcasm?
 

post #125 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


Um, I heavily EQ'ed the sound so it would sound as realistic, natural, and balanced as possible. I haven't heard a single IEM to date that sounds as "right" as the $25 pair I have now. In fact, I've only heard probably two or three full sized that gets the balance and tonality as good...

 

90% of the headphones I buy sound "just" good. But I don't settle for that.


What's your 25 dollar pair?

 

post #126 of 265
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikp View Post


What's your 25 dollar pair?


JVC FXC51. I've got lots comments on those floating all around the forums by now.

The closest thing I've heard to these is the Vsonic GR07. They're burning in though.

I'll test them soon, but I think I may have recreated the GR07, but a version I like better.


Edited by Katun - 9/23/11 at 7:40am
post #127 of 265

You will love the GR07s when burned in.  The westone4 is a great phone but a little sterile to my ears, the GR07 is organic timbre-correct heaven.

post #128 of 265

 

Hmm the JVC's cost around $50 in their motherland.

 

 


Edited by kiteki - 9/23/11 at 3:15pm
post #129 of 265

you guys are talking about this one, right? 

 

interesting, maybe it is my so awaited gym-fi IEM, is it comfortable and has a fun sound signature?

post #130 of 265

 

gym-fi?

 

Katun said it's better than the W4, I wouldn't take that to the gym, let's show Westone who's boss, did you buy one?

post #131 of 265
Thread Starter 

If you've got a Cowon player, buy a FXC51 and never look back. Actually, it's hard to look back after hearing it.

Just got done with it against the GR07, and the GR07 is definitely heading out. Honestly, this is just insane.

My portable rig will stay the same pretty much forever. Haven't found anything that comes even close. Not kidding.

post #132 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

gym-fi?

 

Katun said it's better than the W4, I wouldn't take that to the gym, let's show Westone who's boss, did you buy one?


 

I did. in red.

and yes, gym-fi rig.

post #133 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

If you've got a Cowon player, buy a FXC51 and never look back. Actually, it's hard to look back after hearing it.

Just got done with it against the GR07, and the GR07 is definitely heading out. Honestly, this is just insane.

My portable rig will stay the same pretty much forever. Haven't found anything that comes even close. Not kidding.


Ever tried it with a sansa clip+? and what tips do you use?

 

thanks.

 

post #134 of 265

I suspect the OP never got a good seal in the short time he gave the Westones to impress. I was dreadfully disappointed with my pair the first couple of days I had them, but I persevered and experimented with various tips until I got a good seal, and now I love them. Just because a phone/tip combo sits comfortably in your ear it doesn't follow that you've got a good seal.

 

Plus my favourite sound comes from a dark, bassy phone (the original Radius DDM) so any kind of fizzy sibilance is going to turn me right off. The Westones are very well balanced in this respect, I find.

 

 

post #135 of 265
Thread Starter 

My review has been planned for these. With a headphones this good, for this cheap, it deserves something as simple as a proper review.

 

The funny thing is, people seem to question me based on the fact of my rig being literally dirt cheap. And with that, I really don't mind. But wouldn't you think after trying 23 different IEMs, I'd keep the one I like? I mean, it's quite obvious I'm deep enough into this hobby that prices don't scare me too much to inhibit me from finding the ultimate sound. So then why did I settle on one of the cheapest pairs I've ever bought? Well, that's obvious too. I didn't take anything else, because nothing else sounded this good. Not sure how I got this lucky, because this IEM was actually a mistake. I picked it up after a user suggested it, and found I absolutely did not like it. Slightly bummed, I started throwing all sorts of EQ's at it, hoping I'd save it some how. And let me tell you, I did more than just save the sound. I saved my wallet quite a bit too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickosiris View Post

I suspect the OP never got a good seal in the short time he gave the Westones to impress. I was dreadfully disappointed with my pair the first couple of days I had them, but I persevered and experimented with various tips until I got a good seal, and now I love them. Just because a phone/tip combo sits comfortably in your ear it doesn't follow that you've got a good seal.

 

Plus my favourite sound comes from a dark, bassy phone (the original Radius DDM) so any kind of fizzy sibilance is going to turn me right off. The Westones are very well balanced in this respect, I find.


No, believe me, I got a perfect seal. I've had plenty of IEMs in the past not to factor in the sheer importance of a good seal, and experimenting with different tips.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

Ever tried it with a sansa clip+? and what tips do you use?

 

thanks.


Nope, I have not. I'm warning you though, they suck stock. Even I cannot stand listening to them like that. I can always pull out my Clip and see if the EQ is similar to the Cowon though.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: