Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado PS500s (new Grado's) - Page 61

post #901 of 1188

I do use an amp with my Grados (RS1 now, HF2 previously) and they do help bring out the bass but I don’t consider an amp an absolute must for these headphones. Neither of two two cans sounded bad out of an iPhone when I hooked it up for fun.

 

If you want to get more of them while remaining portable, consider a cmoy amp or a Fiio E11. They’ll fill out the sound and improve the dynamics and punch but you’ll still get the gist of their sound just plugging it straight into the iPod.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post

Do most of you use an amp with your PS500s? How bad are they direct from an iPod? I know I'm probably going to get flamed horribly for even asking this, but I like having flexibility. 

 

I'm used to my JH16 IEMs, but was thinking about picking up some of these to give my ear canals a break. Given the relatively low impedance of the PS500s I can't imagine they'd be too bad.

 

Any advice would be appreciated!



 

post #902 of 1188


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post

Do most of you use an amp with your PS500s? How bad are they direct from an iPod? I know I'm probably going to get flamed horribly for even asking this, but I like having flexibility. 

 

I'm used to my JH16 IEMs, but was thinking about picking up some of these to give my ear canals a break. Given the relatively low impedance of the PS500s I can't imagine they'd be too bad.

 

Any advice would be appreciated!


They work surprisingly good with an iPhone 4 :) 

 

post #903 of 1188

I listen to my RS1 amplified at home, but have taken to bringing them with me to work occasionally. I listen to them straight out of an iPad 2, and the sound is still excellent though not as smooth or well rounded in the lower regions.

 

In all honesty, if I'm working on a really large design project, I may spend more time in any given day listening to them unamped at work than amped at home.

post #904 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

I do use an amp with my Grados (RS1 now, HF2 previously) and they do help bring out the bass but I don’t consider an amp an absolute must for these headphones. Neither of two two cans sounded bad out of an iPhone when I hooked it up for fun.

 

If you want to get more of them while remaining portable, consider a cmoy amp or a Fiio E11. They’ll fill out the sound and improve the dynamics and punch but you’ll still get the gist of their sound just plugging it straight into the iPod.
 



 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post


 


They work surprisingly good with an iPhone 4 :) 

 

 

Thank you both for the info. I do already have a pico slim amp that I occasionally use with my IEMs, so I suppose I could throw that in the mix if I'm feeling frisky. Like I mentioned, I just like the flexibility and don't necessarily want to lug around an amp with largish headphones, even if it is just around the house.

 

As you can tell, I'm not a very dedicated audiophile. More of a lazy audiophile.

 

o2smile.gif
 

 

post #905 of 1188

I ended up picking the PS 500 from a local audio shop in Calgary (Absolute Audio). I spent a fair bit of time listening to the PS 500 before making the purchase. So far I am impressed. The highs are much less harsh compared to the 325IS. Still need to burn mine in before I do any serious listening. Also I did not see any quality issues with the finish on the cans. Enjoy the pictures!

 

Traditional Grado Pizza box

a276a35d.jpg

 

Cans still in the box:

c27768e5.jpg

 

Box opened

f39e66e5.jpg

 

Close up of the cans

7dbc31ce.jpg

post #906 of 1188

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000impreza View Post

I ended up picking the PS 500 from a local audio shop in Calgary (Absolute Audio). I spent a fair bit of time listening to the PS 500 before making the purchase. So far I am impressed. The highs are much less harsh compared to the 325IS. Still need to burn mine in before I do any serious listening. Also I did not see any quality issues with the finish on the cans. Enjoy the pictures!

 

Traditional Grado Pizza box

a276a35d.jpg

 

Cans still in the box:

c27768e5.jpg

 

Box opened

f39e66e5.jpg

 

Close up of the cans

7dbc31ce.jpg


Quite a neat finish in your PS500. I wonder whether has anyone done a definite comparison between the PS500 and HF-2 headphones, I've seem people comment that the differences in sound signature is just due to the usual Grado QC and the cherry picking method of selecting the drivers.

post #907 of 1188

I just got my ps500 so far I am really enjoying them much more then my old sr225i

post #908 of 1188

Those PS500 look beautiful!!!!

 

Damn it!  I can't make up my mind RS2i or PS500...and I can't hear them before I buy :(

 

The RS2i looks nice, is neutral but I am afraid that the treble will be shrill a little

 

The PS500 - does anyone think the mid-bass hump is too much?  The treble too rolled off?  

 

The mids are the most important to me.  I also like instrument separate and decay - ie. the hit of a cymbal and the decay afterwards./

 

 

Thanks...

post #909 of 1188


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullymc View Post

Those PS500 look beautiful!!!!

 

Damn it!  I can't make up my mind RS2i or PS500...and I can't hear them before I buy :(

 

The RS2i looks nice, is neutral but I am afraid that the treble will be shrill a little

 

The PS500 - does anyone think the mid-bass hump is too much?  The treble too rolled off?  

 

The mids are the most important to me.  I also like instrument separate and decay - ie. the hit of a cymbal and the decay afterwards./

 

 

Thanks...



I prefer the PS500. It doesn't sound as bright as most other Grados but doesn't sound veiled either to my ears. The bass is fantastically fun and the mids are very clean and nice in tonality.  I know a guy that bought them and said the mid-bass hump was annoying though on some music and he may be right...

 

post #910 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullymc View Post

 I can't make up my mind RS2i or PS500...and I can't hear them before I buy :(

 

The RS2i looks nice, is neutral but I am afraid that the treble will be shrill a little

 

The PS500 - does anyone think the mid-bass hump is too much?  The treble too rolled off?  

 

The mids are the most important to me.  I also like instrument separate and decay - ie. the hit of a cymbal and the decay afterwards. 

 

I don't have neither of them so I won't make a comment. but I owned hf2 and now have a pair of rs1i. I prefer the sound signiture of the rs1is far more than the hf2s, I don't think rs1is are bright as they are quite nutral to me.

 

What I love about the rs1is is that not only they have beautiful instrument & vocal texture and warm, punchy bass, but also they have the treble "sparkle", which makes it quite suitable for rock and metal music.

 

The hf2s, on the other hand, have tamed high frequency, which may sounds dull for some when playing some music genres such as metal and punk rock, the mids of the hf2s are quite nice, but I felt it is a bit distant for my liking, the bass of hf2 is deep, fast and punchy, which is quite fun, but I think sometimes the bass are bloated and lack of quality and textrue.

 

If you want nutral presentation, beautiful mids, bass textrue and treble "sparkle", you wouldn't be dissapointed if you get a pair of RS1is, FWIR the RS2is and the RS1is are quite similar, so I think it can't be wrong if you choose RS2i.

post #911 of 1188

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullymc View Post

Those PS500 look beautiful!!!!

 

Damn it!  I can't make up my mind RS2i or PS500...and I can't hear them before I buy :(

 

The RS2i looks nice, is neutral but I am afraid that the treble will be shrill a little

 

The PS500 - does anyone think the mid-bass hump is too much?  The treble too rolled off?  

 

The mids are the most important to me.  I also like instrument separate and decay - ie. the hit of a cymbal and the decay afterwards./

 

 

Thanks...



I have both headphones and from what you described as your musical taste I reckon you'd be better off buying the RS2. I think the RS2 is a very good and very under rated headphone, maybe because of it's big brother the RS1, I don't know... What is also nice about the RS2 IMO is the size of the cups which are a bit smaller and thus looking nicer and less strange on ones head.

 

I also agree with Zuqi's description of the HF-2 sound, the tamed highs are nice but bass can be a bit bloated at times.

post #912 of 1188

I wouldn't call myself a bass head, but I dig when there is thump and you feel that punch. I don't have to have this, it's not something I'll choose a headphone over, just saying it's not too much an issue with me when there is forward bass. That said, I can agree with those saying the mid-bass can be a bit too much in certain recordings. It really just depends on what you are listening to though.

 

Maybe it's what I listen to, but the majority of the music I've listened with the PS500's have been really smooth and balanced. Everything Lan647 said is true to my experience. Although, I did try putting on the G-Cushion and that substantially toned down the bass (which most of you know already). While I found that much more comfortable, I missed that punch and up closeness to the music that I had with the stock pads.

 

It's kind of a weird position I am in. On the one hand, I find listening with the stock can sort of irritate my ears after long listening sessions. Grados can make your ears hot (depending on the person). The G-Cushion took away this problem, and I think it was a mix of not having drivers physically pressed against my ears, and also not having loud bass directly going into my ear. So...do I stick with the way that is more comfortable but less enjoyable, or do I go with the way that makes the music sound best, but can also irritate my ears.

 

But all this said, I love the PS500's. But my only point of reference was the SR80s (the only headphone I had for 4 years). I was seriously considering the RS1s, but ended up going with the PS500's. Are the RS1s all that different in sound? I'm wondering if the RS1 has a more toned down sound from the PS500, if that would make my ears less hot. 


Edited by satanigatan - 1/20/12 at 9:26am
post #913 of 1188

Thanks LAN647, Zuqi, Willmax, satanigatan

 

for your feedback.  You have given me a lot to think about.  I am more leaning to the RS2is now.   I am looking forward to the next step in Gradoland from my SR60i.

 

Take care

 

 

post #914 of 1188

Let us know what you end up picking, and what your thoughts on it are. Based on your needs, I think the RS2i sounds like a good match. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullymc View Post

Thanks LAN647, Zuqi, Willmax, satanigatan

 

for your feedback.  You have given me a lot to think about.  I am more leaning to the RS2is now.   I am looking forward to the next step in Gradoland from my SR60i.

 

Take care

 

 



 

post #915 of 1188

Try listening to Yes "Long Distance Run Around" from Fragile (Expanded and Remastered) Unbelievable. Mindblowingly good with the PS500.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado PS500s (new Grado's)