Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Audiophile isolating over-ear headphones? Last post on 10/26/12 at 6:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for folk in the $200 range. Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans? Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Comfy & Unusual Suspects at $300 and Less Suggestions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
I agree w most reviews that these does not warrant the $499 MSRP. (Then rather opt for D5k, D7k). BUT - at the +-$230 range I got them at (Amazon warehouse) - these are VERY good value for...
Disclaimer- This review has been written based on past 2 year’s observations. I am not a part of the audio industry or trade and I represent no one but myself, and this review is written...
Introduction The easiest way to explain the Sennheiser CX-150's is that they do what you can reasonably expect. You can't really expect much from a pair of sub-50 dollar IEM's, and frankly, I...
Tyll testing confirms: Burn-in is clearly audible - Page 6post #76 of 869/10/11 at 12:26pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 869/10/11 at 12:52pmpost #78 of 869/10/11 at 1:10pmpost #79 of 869/10/11 at 1:16pmpost #80 of 869/10/11 at 1:37pm
I'm going to say this once more.
Your brain, can be easily tricked into imagining things.
Evidence: Optical Illusions. A million and one examples. Google it.
Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ Skip to 08:00
Surely someone who "can get out out of bed and dress themselves in the morning without convincing themselves that maybe they're still dreaming"
is immune to optical and aural illusions. Also, because they've relied on their hearing to provide for their families for over 20 years surely their hearing
is perfect and immune to aural illusions.
Read Gregorio's comment.post #81 of 869/10/11 at 1:53pm
Show me where an optical illusion (brain trick) equates to this supposed brain burn in people refer to?? Maybe you're brain was tricked into thinking they are the same thing-especially when one is in the audio realm, and the other optical? I'm well aware of what an optical illusion is-same as anyone else who has passed 3rd grade. Unfortunately that isn't part of this discussion, so I'm not gonna bother trying to refute optical illusions-it's simply not the topic at hand. Are you dense?
Edited by BournePerfect - 9/10/11 at 1:54pmpost #82 of 869/10/11 at 2:06pmAn optical illusion isn't seeing what's not there, it's misinterpreting what's seen. Tyll's measurements showed small but consistent changes in response with one and only one model, which still may have been pre-burnt by the mfr, despite his assurances that "It's not likely." This jury is waiting for tests on other medium-priced headphones that are definitely not pre-played by the mfr on an automatic test bench.post #83 of 869/10/11 at 2:14pm
Koolkat I think a good example of brain burn-in terms of visual sensation would be the "upsidedown" glasses experiment in which someone wears a pair of glasses that mirror image one's vision vertically. After so many days the brain deconditions its natural tendency to invert the image and the viewer sees the world as right side up while wearing the glasses, but upside down when removed. You could also consider the example of acquired tastes in music and food as "brain burn in". An optical illusion would suggest a more immediate misinterpretation of a correct stimulus.post #84 of 869/10/11 at 2:31pm
Well my point is your brain's not immune to bias.
Optical illusions show that. Aural illusions show that.
There's a lot of comments like these : "I know my ears aren't lying because I'm hearing this and all you nut-jobs are too dependent on numbers and technology".
Which is pure nonsense. Brain burn-in could just as easily be yourself adjusting to the headphone's sound signature, wear and tear, or a combination of both.
You might think that your hearing is perfect and that there was no way burn-in could've been inyohead, but subconsciously, who knows? You could've adjusted
to the harsh highs on a pair of Grados or AKGs. You get conditioned to hearing the harshness, it seems to smooth itself out after a few months. Could've also
been some changes on a really tiny scale which in turn resulted in sonic differences.
If anything, and this has been said before, the experiment Tyll conducted shows that he could tell 2 headphones apart. In an ideal world, all AKG K701s would
be identical to each other, so conducting a burn-in experiment would be much easier.
Personally, I think burn-in is overrated, over-exaggerated and over-emphasized.
Note* I would engage in a childish online meme posting competition, but I've been cautioned a couple of times here. One more and I'm sent off, lol.
Edited by koolkat - 9/10/11 at 2:35pmpost #85 of 869/10/11 at 3:23pmQuote:
It's important to note that Tyll has basically said the same thing as well. Also, it's not necessarily an apt comparison, but the brain does adjust our hearing very quickly. We tune out background noise like our lives depend on it.post #86 of 869/10/11 at 6:03pm
Replace optical illusion with cognitive illusion and you have a valid argument, however an argument from ignorance only highlights your incoherent attitude.
Those that have successfully blind tested between two phones are ignored on an incorrect scientific basis, or told all phones are not created equal. It's trivial babble to dig themselves out of the corner they find themselves in, this trivial babble is self-evident.
This thread is locked
- Tyll testing confirms: Burn-in is clearly audible
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 9 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 Hybrid IEM (Stealth) - FitEar 334 and... 22 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 1 minute ago
- › Can you ID these headphones from Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › KRK KNS-8400 vs Sennheiser HD-280 Pro vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 4 minutes ago
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe