Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp - Page 7

post #91 of 866

Tim

Please can you write few words about sound of C10SE? How it sounds compared to other amps you have heard? Why you purchase C10SE, not Master-3? They both in similar price range.

post #92 of 866

If I'm not mistaken - Tim got his C-10 SE quite some time before Master-3 or Master-5 were released.

post #93 of 866
Thread Starter 

No, I got Master-5 and 10SE at the same time (about 3-4 week ago actually). I use the Master-5 with a C10SE (modified to work with Master-5) for my main rig with D7000's and older Mirage speakers. The NFB10SE is a second setup I use with my DT770/600.

I've known about the Master-5 since January though. Patience has its virtues.

 

Northernwind- I don't know what you mean, the Master-3 is an amp?


Edited by tim3320070 - 10/22/11 at 7:51pm
post #94 of 866

I am also fascinated then.

 

Why the C-10SE and not the Master 3 power amp?

 

Regards

 

Macrog

post #95 of 866
Thread Starter 

Misunderstanding on my part- I was thinking you were saying NFB10SE (brain fart).

 

I got the C10SE just before he released the Master-3 (January maybe). He had me modify the C10 to work with the ACSS output of the Master-5, I then modified the ACSS cable he sent by reterminating one end to 4-pin XLR. Works great. I never realized the Master series does not output via ACSS to non Master series amps at the time either.


Edited by tim3320070 - 10/23/11 at 7:27am
post #96 of 866

Any more impressions guys? Especially compared to the Phoenix.

 

Although I am more interested in the Master-6 it would still be relevent.

 

post #97 of 866
Thread Starter 

Be certain you want that much power, the Master-6 might make using other headphones impossible with the high power output. I'm so glad I did not get it as the D7000 are rather loud at 12-15/99.

post #98 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

Be certain you want that much power, the Master-6 might make using other headphones impossible with the high power output. I'm so glad I did not get it as the D7000 are rather loud at 12-15/99.



I will be using it for my HE-6 mainly but also the LCD-2's. My T1's should also be good with it as they are not balanced and the output is only(?) 600mw @600 ohms.

post #99 of 866
Thread Starter 

My DT770/600 (balanced) require about 30-35/99 for full volume listening if that helps.

post #100 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

My DT770/600 (balanced) require about 30-35/99 for full volume listening if that helps.



Yes thanks, it seems the T1's should do very well on the Master-6.

 

One of the things I am looking for is flexibility and the Master-6 should provide it.

post #101 of 866
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwind View Post

Tim

Please can you write few words about sound of C10SE? How it sounds compared to other amps you have heard? Why you purchase C10SE, not Master-3? They both in similar price range.



The C10SE is typical AGD- no frequency emphasis, very revealing, very powerful, very refined, zero background noise. I had an Emotiva XPA-2 which seems to be pretty similar in design and spec's but it sounded brighter/ colder vs the C10SE, just less real. I think Kingwa's amps are excellent.

post #102 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post


 

 


Thanks for your initial impressions. 

 

How does the Master 5 sound compared to other amps in the market? Particularly, how does it compare to  the NFB10SE? What are the differences in SQ between your Ref 8 + Master 5 and the NFB10SE?

 

bump (emphasis added)

 

 

post #103 of 866
Thread Starter 

Vs the NFB10SE, the Master-5 is more detailed, wider and deeper soundstage (sound goes beyond the sides towards the back of your head some), overall more refined, more delicate, more 3D. Nothing night and day but enough for me to warrant the purchase. That said, I could live with the NFB10SE and nothing else and be happy, it is excellent.

post #104 of 866

Thanks, Tim! That's exactly what I expected. I've had my NFB-10SE for ten days now (some 40 hours logged in, at most) and I'm mightily impressed with both, the DAC and the headamp. To my ears, the DAC is phenomenal. I haven't yet been able to compare it to the Grace m902, but I bet the 10SE is audibly better. The headamp is a total surprise: extremely powerful and totally silent (the blackest background I've ever experienced). It falls behind my Rudistor amps only -- especially the RPX300, 4-5 times more expensive -- only in the width/depth/3D of the soundstage.

 

So, I can imagine how the Master-5 beats the smaller amp in soundstaging/3D -- and how the diminishing-returns effect bites hard too.

beerchug.gif

post #105 of 866



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

Vs the NFB10SE, the Master-5 is more detailed, wider and deeper soundstage (sound goes beyond the sides towards the back of your head some), overall more refined, more delicate, more 3D. Nothing night and day but enough for me to warrant the purchase. That said, I could live with the NFB10SE and nothing else and be happy, it is excellent.



Are you able to breifly compare both the master 5 HeadPhone out & the 10ES Headphone out whilst using the same DAC ie 10ES dac??

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp