- 61 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- desktop amp under $140 Last post on 12/31/11 at 9:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- (Fixed by my own)Serious issue, need help- Auditor & AGD Moon Last post on 8/9/11 at 4:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- . Last post on 4/5/11 at 6:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Problems with Audio-GD (QC, etc.) Last post on 2/19/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp - Page 28post #406 of 87610/30/12 at 5:36pmI have to agree with you at this point, d7100(d7000) is the low impedance headphone which is really hard for me to choose the combation compared to the popular and universal ones like lcd2 or HE6. Now I 'm quite regret for that.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #407 of 87610/31/12 at 4:43amQuote:
If you like the sound and want to keep the headphone you already have, I understand very well. Then the task is to find an amp that matches it and perhaps DAC? Whatever - you will have most benefit from listening to it with your headphone to hear how it fares.
If you want high end quality sound - and the headphone you have isn't in that league - then that's a different story. I think going for "very good" or "good enough" is a valid way of choosing audio gear also. Note that I am not saying that your headphone isn't high end, because I haven't heard it - only the D2000.
If your headphone is very easy to drive, then the point in getting an amp delivering several Watts (like the Audio-gd Master 6 or 8) is less than if you have an orthodynamic headphone like the HiFiMan's or Audeze's. Such a powerful amp is both extremely big and heavy (about 12Kg or 25 pounds) and you will pay a lot of money in shipping fee for something that's not needed. If you on the other hand plan on maybe going for a heavy to drive headphone later, then it would make sense to go for it, to make sure that your amp will drive your next headphone. The Audio-gd amps are truly amazing sounding and will drive any (non-electrostatic) full size headphone you throw at it.post #408 of 87610/31/12 at 4:54pmpost #409 of 87611/17/12 at 2:52pm
I'll be honest I've always wanted to try an Audio-GD amp but can't shake the feeling that Kingwa picks a case and then proceeds to fill out the circuit until its full edge to edge :p And without actually hearing one, it's hard to know if its priced for high value or not.
So for anyone who is happy with any of the Master 5/6/8 or even previous Phoenix... what did they dethrone? I purchased my current Peak out of sheer curiosity with next to no thought that it could dethrone the B22 only to be pleasantly surprised. Did any of you experience that with the Masters?
Edited by Solude - 11/17/12 at 2:53pmpost #410 of 87611/17/12 at 6:27pm
The power supply takes up a lot of space. It's the reason you can turn the volume up to max and get zero hiss. I can say the Phoenix bested the Stacker II I had here, but then, that wasn't a commercial amp and each one was built differently, by hand.
I like the Phoenix because I don't think about it -- I don't hear it or notice it. Other amps have always tended to impose themselves on the music in some way -- to make themselves known. The Phoenix never has.post #411 of 87611/17/12 at 6:56pm
I read that often. What I'm really hoping for is someone to poke their head in and say... I got the Master 8 and sold my B22, GS-X, Dynahi the next day. Anyone fit that description :Dpost #412 of 87611/17/12 at 7:40pmpost #413 of 87611/18/12 at 4:22am
And the Master 6... where does it improve on your previous Phoenix?
FYI beating a Rudi isn't bragging rights, his amps are pure garbage packaged to fool the senses. That's coming from a former RP5.1 owner. I bought into the hype train but didn't stay on the ride long. But that's another thread ;) I mean seriously, the current 33 has 12dB gain but a 1Vrms output? Even at unity gain it would run out of steam before the input /facepalm And the listed power only happens into 1.4ohm. Know of any headphones that low? And $5 says it still uses a power resistor and runs the case mounted FETs into deep bias to heat the crap out of the case to give the impression of high power while only putting out 20mW into the LCD-3. Sigh.
Sorry for the rant. It bugs me when snake oil actually penetrates the market to become FOTM :( Sort of like the DarkStar which if not for the massive empty space could fit in a 8x10 single case and not cost $3500. Just saying ;) Compare the clone to the retail :p That is both the amp and power supply of each of the two balanced channels.
Edited by Solude - 11/18/12 at 7:42ampost #414 of 87611/18/12 at 10:44ampost #415 of 87611/18/12 at 12:38pm
Master 6 and Phoenix are in 2 diff systems currently. M6 has the edge, but not in another class. The Phoenix is still amazing. Dead quiet, neutral and full sounding. What else would you want? I can't see myself ever selling it.post #416 of 87611/18/12 at 12:50pmpost #417 of 87612/1/12 at 11:34pmI recently took delivery of m8 and using it as preamp with acss to m3 is major upgrade to phoenix as preamp with xlr. The only issue I am having is that the preamp button doesn't mute the speakers or headphones, they are both always active, which requires me to turn off m3 when I want to listen to headpones. This wasn't the case with the phoenix. Anyone else with this problem?post #418 of 87612/2/12 at 10:06amQuote:Originally Posted by BoyNamedSue
I recently took delivery of m8 and using it as preamp with acss to m3 is major upgrade to phoenix as preamp with xlr. The only issue I am having is that the preamp button doesn't mute the speakers or headphones, they are both always active, which requires me to turn off m3 when I want to listen to headpones. This wasn't the case with the phoenix. Anyone else with this problem?
Ouch. I think that is what the HP/Pre button should do.post #419 of 87612/2/12 at 3:14pm
Just to clarify, both headphone and pre-amp is active when the button is pressed to "h" mode whereas the "p" mode turns off headphone out. Its a bit of an inconvenience when I want to switch back and forth from speakers to headphones without having to turn off the power amp (master 3).
- Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › Open-back Headphones Recommendations - Beyer T90? 2 minutes ago
- › EMU 0404 USB - really the best? 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear