- 45 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- desktop amp under $140 Last post on 12/31/11 at 9:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread Last post on 11/18/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- (Fixed by my own)Serious issue, need help- Auditor & AGD Moon Last post on 8/9/11 at 4:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- . Last post on 4/5/11 at 6:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Problems with Audio-GD (QC, etc.) Last post on 2/19/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Headphone Impedance
Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp - Page 28
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
If you like the sound and want to keep the headphone you already have, I understand very well. Then the task is to find an amp that matches it and perhaps DAC? Whatever - you will have most benefit from listening to it with your headphone to hear how it fares.
If you want high end quality sound - and the headphone you have isn't in that league - then that's a different story. I think going for "very good" or "good enough" is a valid way of choosing audio gear also. Note that I am not saying that your headphone isn't high end, because I haven't heard it - only the D2000.
If your headphone is very easy to drive, then the point in getting an amp delivering several Watts (like the Audio-gd Master 6 or 8) is less than if you have an orthodynamic headphone like the HiFiMan's or Audeze's. Such a powerful amp is both extremely big and heavy (about 12Kg or 25 pounds) and you will pay a lot of money in shipping fee for something that's not needed. If you on the other hand plan on maybe going for a heavy to drive headphone later, then it would make sense to go for it, to make sure that your amp will drive your next headphone. The Audio-gd amps are truly amazing sounding and will drive any (non-electrostatic) full size headphone you throw at it.
I'll be honest I've always wanted to try an Audio-GD amp but can't shake the feeling that Kingwa picks a case and then proceeds to fill out the circuit until its full edge to edge :p And without actually hearing one, it's hard to know if its priced for high value or not.
So for anyone who is happy with any of the Master 5/6/8 or even previous Phoenix... what did they dethrone? I purchased my current Peak out of sheer curiosity with next to no thought that it could dethrone the B22 only to be pleasantly surprised. Did any of you experience that with the Masters?
Edited by Solude - 11/17/12 at 2:53pm
The power supply takes up a lot of space. It's the reason you can turn the volume up to max and get zero hiss. I can say the Phoenix bested the Stacker II I had here, but then, that wasn't a commercial amp and each one was built differently, by hand.
I like the Phoenix because I don't think about it -- I don't hear it or notice it. Other amps have always tended to impose themselves on the music in some way -- to make themselves known. The Phoenix never has.
I read that often. What I'm really hoping for is someone to poke their head in and say... I got the Master 8 and sold my B22, GS-X, Dynahi the next day. Anyone fit that description :D
And the Master 6... where does it improve on your previous Phoenix?
FYI beating a Rudi isn't bragging rights, his amps are pure garbage packaged to fool the senses. That's coming from a former RP5.1 owner. I bought into the hype train but didn't stay on the ride long. But that's another thread ;) I mean seriously, the current 33 has 12dB gain but a 1Vrms output? Even at unity gain it would run out of steam before the input /facepalm And the listed power only happens into 1.4ohm. Know of any headphones that low? And $5 says it still uses a power resistor and runs the case mounted FETs into deep bias to heat the crap out of the case to give the impression of high power while only putting out 20mW into the LCD-3. Sigh.
Sorry for the rant. It bugs me when snake oil actually penetrates the market to become FOTM :( Sort of like the DarkStar which if not for the massive empty space could fit in a 8x10 single case and not cost $3500. Just saying ;) Compare the clone to the retail :p That is both the amp and power supply of each of the two balanced channels.
Edited by Solude - 11/18/12 at 7:42am
Master 6 and Phoenix are in 2 diff systems currently. M6 has the edge, but not in another class. The Phoenix is still amazing. Dead quiet, neutral and full sounding. What else would you want? I can't see myself ever selling it.
I recently took delivery of m8 and using it as preamp with acss to m3 is major upgrade to phoenix as preamp with xlr. The only issue I am having is that the preamp button doesn't mute the speakers or headphones, they are both always active, which requires me to turn off m3 when I want to listen to headpones. This wasn't the case with the phoenix. Anyone else with this problem?
Ouch. I think that is what the HP/Pre button should do.
Just to clarify, both headphone and pre-amp is active when the button is pressed to "h" mode whereas the "p" mode turns off headphone out. Its a bit of an inconvenience when I want to switch back and forth from speakers to headphones without having to turn off the power amp (master 3).
- Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Ifi Nano iDSD 18 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 56 seconds ago
- › FS: Unique Melody Maverick 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › WEE - new product from Woo Audio 6 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 7 minutes ago
- › Ottawa Regional meet - September 2015 - respond here 8 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware) 9 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 11 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 12 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)