Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp - Page 26

post #376 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post

 

That depends on how the balanced B22 was configured for gain.  If it were mine, for example, you're probably right since I'm only using a gain of 2 per board (effective 4 per channel).  However the B22 can be configured with more gain (2x, 5x, 8x, and 11x).  If it were configured for 8x or 11x, it should be more than enough.  I would even think 5x would be enough.  It just depends how loud you really want to listen to them.  I use dynamics and not orthos.  With the HD800 and a gain of 2x, the loudest I ever use it would be the 12:30 o'clock position on my attenuator.  The HD650s seem to require a little more power so I can go up to maybe 1:30 - 2:00 on the attenuator.  But I never max it out which would be the 5:30 position.  Obviously the orthos require more power but I'd be the B22 you listened to wasn't configured for a higher gain.

 

It wasnt that it didnt get loud enough, it ran out of steam when you tried to listen too loud. The soundstage started getting pretty constricted. at lower volumes it sounded pretty stellar, it just didnt hold its composure into volumes that i would more regularly listen to. Anywhere below like 12 oclock on this particular B22 sounded amazing, but when you went above that is when it started running out of steam. I believe they had each board configured to 8x gain? Im pretty sure it was the power supplies. I surmise that maybe have 4 power supply boards, one for each amp board might mitigate the issue.

 

So i guess in leu of this that maybe a Master 8 would work, since it probably has a beefy enough power supply...its just i really liked that i could use the Master 3 in the future when i do have room for speakers...alas, i have some months still to decide

post #377 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post

 

That depends on how the balanced B22 was configured for gain.  If it were mine, for example, you're probably right since I'm only using a gain of 2 per board (effective 4 per channel).  However the B22 can be configured with more gain (2x, 5x, 8x, and 11x).  If it were configured for 8x or 11x, it should be more than enough.  I would even think 5x would be enough.  It just depends how loud you really want to listen to them.  I use dynamics and not orthos.  With the HD800 and a gain of 2x, the loudest I ever use it would be the 12:30 o'clock position on my attenuator.  The HD650s seem to require a little more power so I can go up to maybe 1:30 - 2:00 on the attenuator.  But I never max it out which would be the 5:30 position.  Obviously the orthos require more power but I'd be the B22 you listened to wasn't configured for a higher gain.

 

The gain on the B22 is set a 8X.  Like SoupRKowva said it sounded really good at anywhere below 12 O'clock.  On this B22 the HE-6 can get really load at around 3 or 4 pm however, this is when it starts to lose the fullness it had at below 12 O'clock.  Now, on the speaker amps..  The B24, UPA-2, Rotel mono blocks and the UPA-1 mono block,  the HE-6 kept the fullness, bass, and transparency at higher listening levels and for longer periods of time.

 

Don't get me wrong.  The B22 is a amazing amp - with anything other than the HE-6.  Thats why I'm going to a mono block rig for the HE-6s.

post #378 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

 

Haha yeah i couldnt tell you how long its been there, so im not sure what to tell ya. as for the rest of it, i just used a couple formulas I = V/R and P = VI from which you can also create P = I(squared)R. so knowing that, the rest of it just kind of falls into place.

 

I = current in amps

V = voltage

R - resistance in ohms

P = power in watts

 

Got it!  I found this, which is very useful  biggrin.gif

 

700

 

 

 

Good enough?


Edited by RedBull - 7/25/12 at 7:27am
post #379 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

 

Got it!  I found this, which is very useful  biggrin.gif

 

700

 

 

 

Good enough?

haha exactly, i wish id had that handy when i was doing all that math, woulda saved me some time deriving them myself 

post #380 of 866

Has anyone bought a Master 8 ?

post #381 of 866

Not sure, but apparently it should sound pretty much the same as Master 5 and 6 just with different features/output.  Most people who have those are pretty happy, myself included.  Any other products you are comparing against?  Maybe someone else can comment?


Edited by drez - 8/4/12 at 8:14am
post #382 of 866

Probably something from Schiit or Sennheiser.  


Edited by Audio-Omega - 8/4/12 at 8:59am
post #383 of 866
I really still would like to compare with Lehmann BCL or Lyr (in Single ended please) if anyone could comment.
post #384 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

I really still would like to compare with Lehmann BCL or Lyr (in Single ended please) if anyone could comment.

 

I think Lehman BCL can be cloned really easily - very simple circuit with OPamp (there are clones on the market too lol), haven't heard any of these - maybe I can give some impression after local meet tomorrow.  I will hear the Mjolnir tomorrow as well.

post #385 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

 

I think Lehman BCL can be cloned really easily - very simple circuit with OPamp (there are clones on the market too lol), haven't heard any of these - maybe I can give some impression after local meet tomorrow.  I will hear the Mjolnir tomorrow as well.

 

Looking forward to your impresions of the Mjolnir especially as you have the Master-6 as well.

 

Will you be listening to it in your own system?

post #386 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

Looking forward to your impresions of the Mjolnir especially as you have the Master-6 as well.

 

Will you be listening to it in your own system?

 

Hopefully I cna get in early and hoook it up to my Ref 7.1evil_smiley.gif  Wont be using my usual computer or power outlet though so it still wont be 100% my usual system.

post #387 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

I think Lehman BCL can be cloned really easily - very simple circuit with OPamp (there are clones on the market too lol), haven't heard any of these - maybe I can give some impression after local meet tomorrow.  I will hear the Mjolnir tomorrow as well.

Thanks, please help to share a little comparison with BCL with LCD-2.

Actually I don't mind simple design that can easily cloned or opamp as long as it sounds good to my ear.

For me, BCL sound is very very detail, spacious, airy, timbre is very true to life, natural and smooooth. No lose bass here. It's a very good match for LCD-2. But in this hobby, the next question is always, can I get better than this?

I'm very familiar with the sound character of BCL, so if you could give a relative comparison to this, that will be really helpful.
post #388 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post


Thanks, please help to share a little comparison with BCL with LCD-2.
Actually I don't mind simple design that can easily cloned or opamp as long as it sounds good to my ear.
For me, BCL sound is very very detail, spacious, airy, timbre is very true to life, natural and smooooth. No lose bass here. It's a very good match for LCD-2. But in this hobby, the next question is always, can I get better than this?
I'm very familiar with the sound character of BCL, so if you could give a relative comparison to this, that will be really helpful.

 

Sounds like I would like the sound of it as well - hopefully someone will have one at the meet tomorrow.

post #389 of 866

I would like to see a review of the Master 8.  Are there any out there?  I'm mostly interested in the sound sig of the amp, the noise floor / background noise.  Is the amp considered to be transparent or Colored?  I'm not interested in how much power it has.  I'm really looking for the sound quality of the amp.  Thinking this may be my next SS amp.

post #390 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I would like to see a review of the Master 8.  Are there any out there?  I'm mostly interested in the sound sig of the amp, the noise floor / background noise.  Is the amp considered to be transparent or Colored?  I'm not interested in how much power it has.  I'm really looking for the sound quality of the amp.  Thinking this may be my next SS amp.

 

I have the Master-6 not 8 but as far as I am aware they are identical except the Master-8 has a gain switch (someone correct me if I am wrong) and I can say that the Master-6 is neutral and very transparent which is what it was designed to be. I have never been more aware of differing production qualities than I am now.

 

Also, what background noise!!  Although there are exceptions I would not expect or tolerate any noise or hiss of any sort on an expensive high quality SS amp.

I have had the volume on max with the T1's and LCD's plugged in and can detect absolutely no noise via ACSS. Not tried via XLR but would expect the same.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp