or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp - Page 11

post #151 of 876

Lars, how does the Ref 7.1 pair with the Master 6? This is a combo which i am seriously considering. Do you consider this paring to be the most resolving, natural and transparent which you have heard?

 

Still waiting for someone to do a proper review of the Master 5 / 6.

post #152 of 876
I have the Master 6 and the Phoenix. I don't think there are any formal reviews because the buzz has already passed since the hey days of the Reference 1 and Phoenix.

I needed another preamp to drive a separate speaker rig and an amp to power the HE6 to boot. Without directly comparing the two, I believe the Master 6 is a small step up from the Phoenix (which I love). I would also think the 7.1 is also an incremental upgrade on the RE1.

I recently compared the headphone out on the Antelope Gold with Voltikus vs. The RE1 and Phoenix. Surprisingly the AudioGD combo didn't lose and I sent the Antelope back. It was a demo with a few hundred hours on it.

So you can purchase from AudioGD with confidence even though they aren't blowing up the forums anymore. Head Fiers can be fickle. Just read through the massive RE1 and Phoenix threads.
post #153 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Lars, how does the Ref 7.1 pair with the Master 6? This is a combo which i am seriously considering. Do you consider this paring to be the most resolving, natural and transparent which you have heard?

 

Still waiting for someone to do a proper review of the Master 5 / 6.


That's an easy one: YESSSS!

 

post #154 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswjm View Post

... I believe the Master 6 is a small step up from the Phoenix ...


That is my impression from what Kingwa wrote to me, when I asked about the differences between the two.

 

post #155 of 876

What opamps were you using in the m-Stage. I used the OP627AP biased into Class A with great results! Great bass impact (really!), and smooth highs. I'm strongly considering the Master 5/6 to pair with a T1-and I just might pick up my old favorite (K702) to test on it. I also wish I could hear one on a Lyr sometime because they seem like a perfect match on paper (POWER, dynamics, tame highs) for the AKG.

 

-Daniel

post #156 of 876

Thanks for impressions!

post #157 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

What opamps were you using in the m-Stage. I used the OP627AP biased into Class A with great results! Great bass impact (really!), and smooth highs. I'm strongly considering the Master 5/6 to pair with a T1-and I just might pick up my old favorite (K702) to test on it. I also wish I could hear one on a Lyr sometime because they seem like a perfect match on paper (POWER, dynamics, tame highs) for the AKG.

-Daniel

I had the most expensive version of class A biased OPA627 from Tams Audio - ready modded.
post #158 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post


That is my impression from what Kingwa wrote to me, when I asked about the differences between the two.

 



Kingwa said the same to me stating that the Master-5/6 was more transparent and neutral than the Phoenix. However that was when I asked him about the differences with easy to drive headphones.

I would expect with something like the HE-6's the differences would be significantly larger.

post #159 of 876
I've heard the HE6 on both, but not in a direct comparison. Generally speaking, if you had a volume issue with the Phoenix, the Master 6 fixes that. Other than that, it doesn't transform the HE6 into another animal. I was actually surprised on how well the Phoenix amplified the HE6 on some recordings.
post #160 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswjm View Post

I've heard the HE6 on both, but not in a direct comparison. Generally speaking, if you had a volume issue with the Phoenix, the Master 6 fixes that. Other than that, it doesn't transform the HE6 into another animal. I was actually surprised on how well the Phoenix amplified the HE6 on some recordings.


I have the Roc and don't have any volume issues especially fed via the 5.6volt output of the NFB-7.

I feel the Roc does a very good job with the HE-6's but I hope the Master-6 is a clear step up.

I will have 30 days to make up my mind on the Master-6 so I have nothing to lose. wink.gif

post #161 of 876

I'm starting to think of the master 5 myself.  Personally, my preference for my main system is a tube amp and all of my main systems have been American made (note, I've had about 6 AGD products) so I still have to think about it.  My current system is already overkill for what I need but I now have several balanced sources but no amp to connect them to.  I'm not even talking about any SE/balanced debate, it's that I already have the gear.  Though I would likely sell almost everything I have, including all my AGD DAC's etc and just have the Master5 being fed by my oppo95.

post #162 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post





I have the Roc and don't have any volume issues especially fed via the 5.6volt output of the NFB-7.

I feel the Roc does a very good job with the HE-6's but I hope the Master-6 is a clear step up.

I will have 30 days to make up my mind on the Master-6 so I have nothing to lose. wink.gif


Looking forward to your impressions....
post #163 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Lars, how does the Ref 7.1 pair with the Master 6? This is a combo which i am seriously considering. Do you consider this paring to be the most resolving, natural and transparent which you have heard?

 

Still waiting for someone to do a proper review of the Master 5 / 6.


This is the combo I've been after also. I recieved the ref 7.1 almost a month ago and am waiting on the master 5 to be delivered. Atm I'm using audiophilleo2 +ref 7.1 + littledot mk6+ which is really impressive. 

I'll post impressions when my master 5 arrives. I will hopefully have the Auraliti PK90 by then as a front end too.

 

post #164 of 876

Any more impressions of the Master 5/6 amplifier paired with the Ref 7.1? Keep em coming! beyersmile.png

post #165 of 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post
Any more impressions of the Master 5/6 amplifier paired with the Ref 7.1? Keep em coming! beyersmile.png

Just buy it. You won't hear it here on the net wink.gif

If you plan using the Master-6 and Ref 7.1 with HE-6 I promise you that you won't be disappointed.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp