So, I will soon be getting my first "good" headphones, the Grado SR-80i's. I was also going to get a DAC/Amp with them, to enhance the experience. My budget for DAC and Amp combined is ~$200. I was looking at the iBasso D2+ Boa to use with an iTouch with the iBasso CB07. This comes to around $200, but I was wondering if there would be any better things I could get for the price for the SR80i's. I mainly listen to classic rock, and some electronic music. Any help is appreciated, as this will be my first rig, and first post on head-fi!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productIBasso D2 Boatagged by System, 9/16/11
- productLeckerton Audio uha 4 slimline portable amptagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp / DAC for Sennheiser PXC 450? Last post on 6/18/12 at 9:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good cheap usb dac amp? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/7/11 at 6:30pm
not really unless you want to get up to the $130 range. and Im sure you know that the grados arent the best at electronic music which is the only reason I would even suggest you look at other options. As far as I know grados dont need too much amplification either so maybe you could go with a cheaper model amp save some money there.post #3 of 189/7/11 at 6:57pmThread Starter
Ok. I will most likely use these headphones mainly for rock, as I mainly listen to electronic with worse headphones when I am on the go. Also, do you have any other suggestions for DAC/Amp that is cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?post #4 of 189/7/11 at 7:00pmpost #5 of 189/7/11 at 7:05pmThread Starterpost #6 of 189/7/11 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 189/8/11 at 12:51amI had the iBasso D2+ Boa with Grados. I used it both from mu iPod and as a DAC/amp out of my laptop. I thought for the price it was quite good. I liked it better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile that I ended up giving to my brother. Which was still a good little amp for the money.post #8 of 189/8/11 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 189/9/11 at 9:09am
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).post #10 of 189/9/11 at 6:13pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by feNcheL
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).
When is the D2+ being replaced? I would like to order in the next week or so. Also, can't I use a LOD with an iTouch for the DAC to work. please explainpost #11 of 189/10/11 at 1:45amQuote:
Even with an LOD using the iBasso still uses the internal DAC chip of the iTouch. The Wadia and several other docs bypass the DAC.
When I used the iBasso for my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop. or my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop.post #12 of 189/11/11 at 6:50pmThread Starter
Are there any portable Amp/DAC's that don't use the iDevice's DAC and are about $200? I would really love to have a DAC for this without spending more than $200, so the CLAS is out of the question :(
If you know of one that is good, please respond! Thank you!post #13 of 189/11/11 at 6:57pm
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.post #14 of 189/11/11 at 7:07pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by marcusgi
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.
The E11's are what it shall be then. I wasn't too sure about spending $200 on a DAC for my first ever rig, but did want something to improve the sound. I like the idea of a cheaper Amp, and its great that I know it sounds good with the SR80i's. I will also be using the Fiio L9 for my LOD.
Thanks for the help with my first "good" sound!post #15 of 189/12/11 at 1:20amQuote:
If I'm not mistaken, there are only 2 at the moment, both of which are quite expensive :S The CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1.
The E11 should be a good investment, the amp is quite nice, def. an improvement over the iTouch internal amp and it has a bass boost function if needed.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 48 seconds ago
- › Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ? 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 3 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 8 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude