So, I will soon be getting my first "good" headphones, the Grado SR-80i's. I was also going to get a DAC/Amp with them, to enhance the experience. My budget for DAC and Amp combined is ~$200. I was looking at the iBasso D2+ Boa to use with an iTouch with the iBasso CB07. This comes to around $200, but I was wondering if there would be any better things I could get for the price for the SR80i's. I mainly listen to classic rock, and some electronic music. Any help is appreciated, as this will be my first rig, and first post on head-fi!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productIBasso D2 Boatagged by System, 9/16/11
- productLeckerton Audio uha 4 slimline portable amptagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp / DAC for Sennheiser PXC 450? Last post on 6/18/12 at 9:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good cheap usb dac amp? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: Before I start with my review, I’d like to thank Mike from MeElectronics for sending me a sample of the A151 2nd Generation in exchange for my honest opinion. A little more than a year...
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 189/7/11 at 6:30pm
not really unless you want to get up to the $130 range. and Im sure you know that the grados arent the best at electronic music which is the only reason I would even suggest you look at other options. As far as I know grados dont need too much amplification either so maybe you could go with a cheaper model amp save some money there.post #3 of 189/7/11 at 6:57pmThread Starter
Ok. I will most likely use these headphones mainly for rock, as I mainly listen to electronic with worse headphones when I am on the go. Also, do you have any other suggestions for DAC/Amp that is cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?post #4 of 189/7/11 at 7:00pmpost #5 of 189/7/11 at 7:05pmThread Starterpost #6 of 189/7/11 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 189/8/11 at 12:51amI had the iBasso D2+ Boa with Grados. I used it both from mu iPod and as a DAC/amp out of my laptop. I thought for the price it was quite good. I liked it better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile that I ended up giving to my brother. Which was still a good little amp for the money.post #8 of 189/8/11 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 189/9/11 at 9:09am
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).post #10 of 189/9/11 at 6:13pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by feNcheL
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).
When is the D2+ being replaced? I would like to order in the next week or so. Also, can't I use a LOD with an iTouch for the DAC to work. please explainpost #11 of 189/10/11 at 1:45amQuote:
Even with an LOD using the iBasso still uses the internal DAC chip of the iTouch. The Wadia and several other docs bypass the DAC.
When I used the iBasso for my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop. or my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop.post #12 of 189/11/11 at 6:50pmThread Starter
Are there any portable Amp/DAC's that don't use the iDevice's DAC and are about $200? I would really love to have a DAC for this without spending more than $200, so the CLAS is out of the question :(
If you know of one that is good, please respond! Thank you!post #13 of 189/11/11 at 6:57pm
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.post #14 of 189/11/11 at 7:07pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by marcusgi
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.
The E11's are what it shall be then. I wasn't too sure about spending $200 on a DAC for my first ever rig, but did want something to improve the sound. I like the idea of a cheaper Amp, and its great that I know it sounds good with the SR80i's. I will also be using the Fiio L9 for my LOD.
Thanks for the help with my first "good" sound!post #15 of 189/12/11 at 1:20amQuote:
If I'm not mistaken, there are only 2 at the moment, both of which are quite expensive :S The CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1.
The E11 should be a good investment, the amp is quite nice, def. an improvement over the iTouch internal amp and it has a bass boost function if needed.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › "Baby STAX" made more comfortable to use with new ear-tips? 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard X20 DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 4 minutes ago
- › Factory Refurbished Sennheiser HD800 at HeadRoom - Limited Quantities 4 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 5 minutes ago
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › MEElectronics A151 2nd Generation by HiFiChris
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by hakushondaimao
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by BloodyPenguin
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Rolls PM57 Headphone Tap by BeatsWork
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2