So, I will soon be getting my first "good" headphones, the Grado SR-80i's. I was also going to get a DAC/Amp with them, to enhance the experience. My budget for DAC and Amp combined is ~$200. I was looking at the iBasso D2+ Boa to use with an iTouch with the iBasso CB07. This comes to around $200, but I was wondering if there would be any better things I could get for the price for the SR80i's. I mainly listen to classic rock, and some electronic music. Any help is appreciated, as this will be my first rig, and first post on head-fi!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 9/16/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/16/11
- productIBasso D2 Boatagged by System, 9/16/11
- productLeckerton Audio uha 4 slimline portable amptagged by System, 9/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp / DAC for Sennheiser PXC 450? Last post on 6/18/12 at 9:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good cheap usb dac amp? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/21/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
When i first got the Cayin iHA-6 and iDAC-6 combo and paired it with my HD800S, i wasn't too thrilled. Compared to my previous HDVD800, there was more detail present from the dac, but it came with...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi, I started with some pretty cheap gear, and I...
At the time this review was written, the TFZ Series 3 was listed for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 189/7/11 at 6:30pm
not really unless you want to get up to the $130 range. and Im sure you know that the grados arent the best at electronic music which is the only reason I would even suggest you look at other options. As far as I know grados dont need too much amplification either so maybe you could go with a cheaper model amp save some money there.post #3 of 189/7/11 at 6:57pmThread Starter
Ok. I will most likely use these headphones mainly for rock, as I mainly listen to electronic with worse headphones when I am on the go. Also, do you have any other suggestions for DAC/Amp that is cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?post #4 of 189/7/11 at 7:00pmpost #5 of 189/7/11 at 7:05pmThread Starterpost #6 of 189/7/11 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 189/8/11 at 12:51amI had the iBasso D2+ Boa with Grados. I used it both from mu iPod and as a DAC/amp out of my laptop. I thought for the price it was quite good. I liked it better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile that I ended up giving to my brother. Which was still a good little amp for the money.post #8 of 189/8/11 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 189/9/11 at 9:09am
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).post #10 of 189/9/11 at 6:13pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by feNcheL
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).
When is the D2+ being replaced? I would like to order in the next week or so. Also, can't I use a LOD with an iTouch for the DAC to work. please explainpost #11 of 189/10/11 at 1:45amQuote:
Even with an LOD using the iBasso still uses the internal DAC chip of the iTouch. The Wadia and several other docs bypass the DAC.
When I used the iBasso for my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop. or my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop.post #12 of 189/11/11 at 6:50pmThread Starter
Are there any portable Amp/DAC's that don't use the iDevice's DAC and are about $200? I would really love to have a DAC for this without spending more than $200, so the CLAS is out of the question :(
If you know of one that is good, please respond! Thank you!post #13 of 189/11/11 at 6:57pm
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.post #14 of 189/11/11 at 7:07pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by marcusgi
Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.
The E11's are what it shall be then. I wasn't too sure about spending $200 on a DAC for my first ever rig, but did want something to improve the sound. I like the idea of a cheaper Amp, and its great that I know it sounds good with the SR80i's. I will also be using the Fiio L9 for my LOD.
Thanks for the help with my first "good" sound!post #15 of 189/12/11 at 1:20amQuote:
If I'm not mistaken, there are only 2 at the moment, both of which are quite expensive :S The CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1.
The E11 should be a good investment, the amp is quite nice, def. an improvement over the iTouch internal amp and it has a bass boost function if needed.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP60 2 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 3 minutes ago
- › What makes the Sennheiser 598s so bad for rock/metal? 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...