Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones have the most BASS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which headphones have the most BASS?

post #1 of 87
Thread Starter 

I just got my Ultrasone HFI-580s and I'm not impressed.

 

I previously had the Beyer DT990s and I was equally not impressed.

 

I have the Ultrasone PRO 900s on the way and if those don't impress me, what will?

 

I am an Avid EQ freak and have pushed the lower frequencies in headphones to their very limits, and what I'm about to say will blow most of your guy's minds, but with VERY hardcore EQ Tweaking I am able to get more/harder/louder/punding bass out of a pair of ATH-A700s than either of those two cans above.  When doing that I am halfway impressed.  The ATH in that respect produce great bass, but the rest of the SQ isn't on par with Beyer and Ultrasone.  I'm looking for the best of both worlds.

 

I will try the XB-700s just for kicks, so lets pretend those have the bass us bassheads are looking for, what would be the audiophile equivalent, since I don't expect those to be up to par in the rest of the spectrum.

 

I'm starting to maybe comprehend what I'm looking for I can't get in a headphone.  I desire the "club effect"  where the bass pounds your soul and you are surrounded with crystal, liquid, sparkly mids and highs and it tingles your spine.

 

Am I just looking at all the wrong headphones?  The DAC/AMPs I have tested with are a Fiio E9, AUNE, and Xonar Essence.  I have an Audio-GD FUN on the way.

 

No this is not a troll thread.  This is for all you bassheads out there.

 

Thoughts?


Edited by WaveRider69 - 9/7/11 at 1:00pm
post #2 of 87

Take some rope

Buy some subwoofers

Buy a couple amps

Screw amps to subwoofers, connect via cables

Tie wubwoofers/amps to head.

Plug into wall

Take Source

Press play

 

 

Enough Bass?wink.gif

 

Really, anything under $350 will not give you bass.

 

 

Get Pro750/900

Then get a Cowon. Set Jeteffect, lowest level to 80hz at narrow and level 12. Set mach bass to 10. Lower all other levels.

Attach Cowon to Amp/DAC with EQ. FiiO E7 for example. Boost the bass as high as it will go, drop everything else.

post #3 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 View Post

I have the Ultrasone PRO 900s on the way and if those don't impress me, what will?


Nothing, unless you want to drop a transducer down your pants. That might help with shuffling...

The Pro 900s are amazing cans for bassheads.
post #4 of 87

Also, other examples of good bassy headphones:

 

MDR-V6. Little Eqing reaches lower bass levels

T50RP - modded. Good amount of boom with great detail. See my modded in my signature for this.

LCD-2 - same as above.

Ultrasone period

 

IEM's seem really bass when they are tuned for it.

Top bass IEM: Senn IE8

I also EQ my Brainwavz M1's to bass for good use

post #5 of 87

JVC HAFX1X Ftw!! Earphones that will surprise you like you wouldn't believe. The headphones kinda not so good but the smaller portable HAS4X sounds better of the 2..

post #6 of 87

Sony MDR-XB1000 are most likely to give you most quantity of impactful bass. Very big cups. Very big drivers. Sensitive. Can be pushed. Not the most accurate or tuneful. Under $300. Try those, instead of XB700.

 

Also, unless you have really low impedance output and a bit of driving power, your headphones are likely to suffer a fall-off at lowe bass frequencies, esp. when you start to EQ them.

 

 


Edited by halcyon - 9/7/11 at 1:06pm
post #7 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 View Post

 

I'm starting to maybe comprehend what I'm looking for I can't get in a headphone.  I desire the "club effect"  where the bass pounds your soul and you are surrounded with crystal, liquid, sparkly mids and highs and it tingles your spine.

 

 

You cannot get this from HPs IMO.  You need to physically feel the bass impact your body to get this effect.

post #8 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

Sony MDR-XB1000 are most likely to give you most quantity of impactful bass. Very big cups. Very big drivers. Sensitive. Can be pushed. Not the most accurate or tuneful. Under $300. Try those, instead of XB700.

 



Have you actually heard the XB1000? It does not have high impact bass.

 

If he is disappointed with the bass impact of Ultrasones he might as well give up on headphones right now or look into IEMs.

post #9 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySound View Post



 

You cannot get this from HPs IMO.  You need to physically feel the bass impact your body to get this effect.


 

I excuse you.

 

My MDR-V6 is making my chest rumble at the moment.

 

Slightly dark receiver to BASS EQ setting and to V6.

 

My Name is Mud by Primus. Screw that, Pork Soda Album by Primus. Man, bow vs bass guitar kills me everytime.

post #10 of 87

Maybe your source isn't to good?

post #11 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 View Post

I will try the XB-700s just for kicks, so lets pretend those have the bass us bassheads are looking for, what would be the audiophile equivalent, since I don't expect those to be up to par in the rest of the spectrum.

 

I'm starting to maybe comprehend what I'm looking for I can't get in a headphone.  I desire the "club effect"  where the bass pounds your soul and you are surrounded with crystal, liquid, sparkly mids and highs and it tingles your spine.


The 'club effect' is too much bass, who cares about the rest of the spectrum. In addition have you ever been to a club, sat down and listened to the music... or are you always intoxicated and jumping around? I think if you actually listened to club speakers in a 'home setting' you wouldn't be very impressed. Either buy the Sony XB500s and have a couple of drinks every time you listen in addition to spinning around on your chair, or make a compromise.


Edited by Graphicism - 9/7/11 at 1:24pm
post #12 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

 

My MDR-V6 is making my chest rumble at the moment.


 

LOL, unfortunately I have never had any HPs do this and even if they did it wouldn't satisfy the basshead in me that wants to feel it my toes.  Seriously, it sounds like OP wants to feel the sound waves impacting the body and I haven't found HPs truly capable of this.  It just is not the same IMHO.  If I wanna feel bass I play old skool DJ Magic Mike in my car...

post #13 of 87

You want a subwoofer, not headphones.

 

Do yourself a favor before you damage your hearing permanently.

post #14 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySound View Post




 

LOL, unfortunately I have never had any HPs do this and even if they did it wouldn't satisfy the basshead in me that wants to feel it my toes.  Seriously, it sounds like OP wants to feel the sound waves impacting the body and I haven't found HPs truly capable of this.  It just is not the same IMHO.  If I wanna feel bass I play old skool DJ Magic Mike in my car...


We've seen this many times. People either want the following:

 

Bass to equal their car's subwoofers's

Soundstage to match their speakers

Gamers wanting more then stereo sound.

Their "perfect" headphones

Comfortable IEM's

Comfortable On ears

Comfortable Fullsized

EDIT: Good looks and sound deadhorse.gif

 

 

All these are dreams that cannot be produced from a headphone

 

Don't mind me here:

 

 

Lying from you, Linkin Park. Awesome bass articulation

post #15 of 87

Headphones will always be a compromise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones have the most BASS?