Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How do ultrasones compare to the big names?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do ultrasones compare to the big names?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

After having looked at a lot of other headphones I have noticed some of the Ultrasones sound like they might suit me....

 

How do the ultrasones rate in terms of quality (both build and sound quality) compared to the "big" names like sennheiser, grado, beyer, akg etc?

 

Which ones would be the best for "excellent bass response, forward warm mids, and not too fatiguing treble"?  HFI 2400 or 780 pro 750 or other?

 

 

I am considering the HFI 2400 or the beyer 990... DO the beyers have harsth treble compared to the HFI 2400?

 

Thanks


Edited by nicholars - 9/6/11 at 10:52am
post #2 of 26

I believe that the bass/soundstage is quite remarkable

 

They settle with their value, if you're asking. What you pay for them is worth that price.

 

Just, I'm not a fan of folding plastic. Strong builds through

 

The Pro900 are the best Bassy can below the LCD-2 I can find (aside from T50RP)

post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post
The Pro900 are the best Bassy can below the LCD-2 I can find (aside from T50RP)


 

Would you like to compare the three?

post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post




 

Would you like to compare the three?


Don't have the Pro900 or the LCD-2 on hand.

 

I just had the LCD-2 a couple days ago...

 

 

For the best SQ with a touch of bass = LCD-2

 

Best bass period (IMO) = Pro900

 

Giant killer and fun to mod = T50RP

 

post #5 of 26
Can't recommend the Pro900s enough. Frankly amazing bass for a headphone. Very very solid build quality, and they come with 2 sets of pads, 2 cables and a brilliant carry case.
The mids aren't very "forward" compared to my HD600s but they completely out do them in detail, soundstage, bass etc.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

I am considering the HFI 2400 or the beyer 990... DO the beyers have harsth treble compared to the HFI 2400?

 

Thanks

 

I have the HFI 2200 (2008 Edition) which is suppose to be same headphone as the 2400.

They don't have harsh highs and there not bright.

DT 880 is pretty bright and energetic compared to the HFI 2200. So the DT 990 would be even more so.

 

Mids aren't forward on the HFI 2200.

But everything has more instrument separation,clarity and detail than the DT 880.

Unless you consider clarity to be brightness.

 

Nothing really spikes or jumps out with the HFI 2200 its a smooth listening and easy to focus on any part of the song.

 

Takes about 50 hours of use before they even start sounding right.

Needs a amp.

 

 

 

post #7 of 26

I think pro900 is exactly what you are looking for. Although Beyers build quality is better (ask any non-headfier to compare the pro900 and beyers they always instantly say the beyers look twice as nice and expensive) and and they sometimes sound more detailed. Unfortunately I gave mine away and I am now looking to replace them with other ultrasones. But after looking around and asking everyone says that going from the 900 down would be a huge downgrade... So Im throwing ANOTHER $350 down da poop-er in the next few weeks for 900s again. IMO if you want fun and very unique sounds go ultrasone and might as well go big and get 900s

 

post #8 of 26

 Ultrasone is a big name, at least around here anyway. Hehe For their price range they are some of the best cans you can get in my opinion.

post #9 of 26

Vote for Pro 900 from me also..

BUT if you want forwarded mids then 2900 is for you.

It has amazing bass for an open headphone,almost identical to 900.

O.k maybe not going so low on some specific tracks but it really blows your mind..

post #10 of 26
Quite a few will disagree, but I still haven't come across an Ultrasone that I enjoyed listening to.

Shame, because I would add a pair to the collection if I liked them. I have headphones from all the other major manufacturers.

Don't let that stop you if you like the sound. Buy what sounds good to you - try a few pairs before you buy if possible.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Quite a few will disagree, but I still haven't come across an Ultrasone that I enjoyed listening to.

Shame, because I would add a pair to the collection if I liked them. I have headphones from all the other major manufacturers.

Don't let that stop you if you like the sound. Buy what sounds good to you - try a few pairs before you buy if possible.


Hmm...

 

That's seriously odd. I really enjoyed the Pro900, but I found the bass a tweak more then I would like. Too much power behind the bass.

 

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Quite a few will disagree, but I still haven't come across an Ultrasone that I enjoyed listening to.

Shame, because I would add a pair to the collection if I liked them. I have headphones from all the other major manufacturers.

Don't let that stop you if you like the sound. Buy what sounds good to you - try a few pairs before you buy if possible.


I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with this.

 

I've only had the Zino and Pro 900, but they were two of my least favorite full sized I've ever tried.

post #13 of 26

Compared to the big names?  They are a big name with different price brackets...Flagships are going for 1.5K>...

 

That said.  It's simple...Ultrasones- You either "love 'em or hate 'em"...Not for everyone, but for those that love 'em, the ride is great....Bass response- PRO900s....

 

Cheers

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post




Hmm...

 

That's seriously odd. I really enjoyed the Pro900, but I found the bass a tweak more then I would like. Too much power behind the bass.

 

That's part of it. I think most Ultrasones are tuned for bassheads.

Contrary to popular belief, I really do love bass. The problem is that I've never heard headphones that get bass right. Either they're on the lean side and accurate or the bass is turned up, which overwhelms the mids and highs. I can enjoy the lean and accurate headphones, since they do acoustic well and sound like the real deal. Basshead headphones don't sound right to me.

When I want lots of bass, the speakers are terrific. They're two-way, so the bass doesn't swamp the tweeters. They're much more balanced than the bass-heavy headphones I've listened to. Plus the speakers vibrate the walls and windows when turned up. smily_headphones1.gif

I should add that the speakers (raw materials, they're DIY) were quite a bit less costly than Ultrasone's flagships.
post #15 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

That's part of it. I think most Ultrasones are tuned for bassheads.

Contrary to popular belief, I really do love bass. The problem is that I've never heard headphones that get bass right. Either they're on the lean side and accurate or the bass is turned up, which overwhelms the mids and highs. I can enjoy the lean and accurate headphones, since they do acoustic well and sound like the real deal. Basshead headphones don't sound right to me.

When I want lots of bass, the speakers are terrific. They're two-way, so the bass doesn't swamp the tweeters. They're much more balanced than the bass-heavy headphones I've listened to. Plus the speakers vibrate the walls and windows when turned up. smily_headphones1.gif

I should add that the speakers (raw materials, they're DIY) were quite a bit less costly than Ultrasone's flagships.


Man, I want to start building some speakers NOW!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How do ultrasones compare to the big names?