After reading the T50RP thread, I see that posters said that a modified T50RP can compete with flagships. Are there any other headphones out there that can be considered giant killers or deliver amazing performance for the price?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using 28 Awg Silver Teflon Wire for T-50rp Last post on 10/18/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- how to upgrade Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for <$100? Last post on 9/17/11 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- We ALL like such threads: HELP! ~200$ choice 4 head-fi newbie, hi-fi oldie, wanting *involving*... Last post on 11/1/11 at 4:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an headphone around $150 + amp/dac Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
Giant Killerspost #1 of 59/6/11 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/6/11 at 10:37ampost #3 of 59/6/11 at 10:44am
Some cans will give you better sound, but the T50RP just sit there and shoots down the Flagsips from the bottom of the scale
Most "Giant killers" are able to double their price in SQ
If you want the best value in sound, go IEM
here's my calculations:
IEM = 2X the value of Fullsized
Giant Killer IEM = 4X the value of Fullsized
$350 IEM = Flagship Fullsized
But then, most high end IEM's are either Customs that range around $1000, or need a IEM only Amp/DAC
I do enjoy my Brainwavz M1 with my FiiO E5. I value about $100 for the package I got for $50. But paired to a Cowon S9/J3 with Jeteffect, blows things away.post #4 of 59/6/11 at 10:55ampost #5 of 59/6/11 at 11:53am
Superlux HD668b look pretty! I'm enjoying some Yamaha YH-100 ortho's right now They may be giant killers with mod, if you can get them for cheap lol. I almost sold mine for $125-, but i'm glad I didn't. They sound better, and are more comfy than my AKG K701. I've also compared them with the Grado 325, and like mine. I'm trying to get together with my friend who has Grado RS1i for a sound compare with my stock Yamaha. One of my other friends has HD600 and I want to compare them to those also. Even though not all orthos are good, I guess I got lucky with mine at the price I got them for. As far as killing giants, another thread I read (forget the name of it) was about the myth of expensive equipment, cables and etc. I think the best way to kill a giant would be to take your price range, $100-300 as opposed to $1000-1500, and pretend that you're buying the last headphones you'll ever buy. I do believe that some giants can't be killed yet, but you will find a great phone for your purpose that a giant cant touch. I love bass, and can't find many phones to compare with Sony's MDR-XB500 bass for the price Shure and Audio Technica have got my interest lately as well for the reviews on their medium range phones. Please forgive my vagueness and my inexperience here...
- Giant Killers
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › I Want your Black Schiit 26 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 55 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Mini-Mini Interconnect, LOD For Sale 3 minutes ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 7 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 7 minutes ago
- › GTA Spring 2016 meet 7 minutes ago
- › WTB Revelation Audio Labs Umbilical 9 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...