After reading the T50RP thread, I see that posters said that a modified T50RP can compete with flagships. Are there any other headphones out there that can be considered giant killers or deliver amazing performance for the price?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using 28 Awg Silver Teflon Wire for T-50rp Last post on 10/18/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- how to upgrade Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for <$100? Last post on 9/17/11 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- We ALL like such threads: HELP! ~200$ choice 4 head-fi newbie, hi-fi oldie, wanting *involving*... Last post on 11/1/11 at 4:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an headphone around $150 + amp/dac Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Giant Killerspost #1 of 59/6/11 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/6/11 at 10:37ampost #3 of 59/6/11 at 10:44am
Some cans will give you better sound, but the T50RP just sit there and shoots down the Flagsips from the bottom of the scale
Most "Giant killers" are able to double their price in SQ
If you want the best value in sound, go IEM
here's my calculations:
IEM = 2X the value of Fullsized
Giant Killer IEM = 4X the value of Fullsized
$350 IEM = Flagship Fullsized
But then, most high end IEM's are either Customs that range around $1000, or need a IEM only Amp/DAC
I do enjoy my Brainwavz M1 with my FiiO E5. I value about $100 for the package I got for $50. But paired to a Cowon S9/J3 with Jeteffect, blows things away.post #4 of 59/6/11 at 10:55ampost #5 of 59/6/11 at 11:53am
Superlux HD668b look pretty! I'm enjoying some Yamaha YH-100 ortho's right now They may be giant killers with mod, if you can get them for cheap lol. I almost sold mine for $125-, but i'm glad I didn't. They sound better, and are more comfy than my AKG K701. I've also compared them with the Grado 325, and like mine. I'm trying to get together with my friend who has Grado RS1i for a sound compare with my stock Yamaha. One of my other friends has HD600 and I want to compare them to those also. Even though not all orthos are good, I guess I got lucky with mine at the price I got them for. As far as killing giants, another thread I read (forget the name of it) was about the myth of expensive equipment, cables and etc. I think the best way to kill a giant would be to take your price range, $100-300 as opposed to $1000-1500, and pretend that you're buying the last headphones you'll ever buy. I do believe that some giants can't be killed yet, but you will find a great phone for your purpose that a giant cant touch. I love bass, and can't find many phones to compare with Sony's MDR-XB500 bass for the price Shure and Audio Technica have got my interest lately as well for the reviews on their medium range phones. Please forgive my vagueness and my inexperience here...
- Giant Killers
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 43 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › ifi Pro iCAN 1 minute ago
- › Toss-up between the RHA MA750, Shure SE215 or Trinity Audio Atlas... 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 4 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 7 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear