After reading the T50RP thread, I see that posters said that a modified T50RP can compete with flagships. Are there any other headphones out there that can be considered giant killers or deliver amazing performance for the price?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using 28 Awg Silver Teflon Wire for T-50rp Last post on 10/18/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- how to upgrade Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for <$100? Last post on 9/17/11 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- We ALL like such threads: HELP! ~200$ choice 4 head-fi newbie, hi-fi oldie, wanting *involving*... Last post on 11/1/11 at 4:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an headphone around $150 + amp/dac Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | SO SORRY FOR THE EARLY POST - HIT THE ENTER BUTTON TWICE SIGH....
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
Giant Killerspost #1 of 59/6/11 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/6/11 at 10:37ampost #3 of 59/6/11 at 10:44am
Some cans will give you better sound, but the T50RP just sit there and shoots down the Flagsips from the bottom of the scale
Most "Giant killers" are able to double their price in SQ
If you want the best value in sound, go IEM
here's my calculations:
IEM = 2X the value of Fullsized
Giant Killer IEM = 4X the value of Fullsized
$350 IEM = Flagship Fullsized
But then, most high end IEM's are either Customs that range around $1000, or need a IEM only Amp/DAC
I do enjoy my Brainwavz M1 with my FiiO E5. I value about $100 for the package I got for $50. But paired to a Cowon S9/J3 with Jeteffect, blows things away.post #4 of 59/6/11 at 10:55ampost #5 of 59/6/11 at 11:53am
Superlux HD668b look pretty! I'm enjoying some Yamaha YH-100 ortho's right now They may be giant killers with mod, if you can get them for cheap lol. I almost sold mine for $125-, but i'm glad I didn't. They sound better, and are more comfy than my AKG K701. I've also compared them with the Grado 325, and like mine. I'm trying to get together with my friend who has Grado RS1i for a sound compare with my stock Yamaha. One of my other friends has HD600 and I want to compare them to those also. Even though not all orthos are good, I guess I got lucky with mine at the price I got them for. As far as killing giants, another thread I read (forget the name of it) was about the myth of expensive equipment, cables and etc. I think the best way to kill a giant would be to take your price range, $100-300 as opposed to $1000-1500, and pretend that you're buying the last headphones you'll ever buy. I do believe that some giants can't be killed yet, but you will find a great phone for your purpose that a giant cant touch. I love bass, and can't find many phones to compare with Sony's MDR-XB500 bass for the price Shure and Audio Technica have got my interest lately as well for the reviews on their medium range phones. Please forgive my vagueness and my inexperience here...
- Giant Killers
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 58 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 1 minute ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1 - Completely Unimpressed 7 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 8 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...