After reading the T50RP thread, I see that posters said that a modified T50RP can compete with flagships. Are there any other headphones out there that can be considered giant killers or deliver amazing performance for the price?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/6/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using 28 Awg Silver Teflon Wire for T-50rp Last post on 10/18/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- how to upgrade Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for <$100? Last post on 9/17/11 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- We ALL like such threads: HELP! ~200$ choice 4 head-fi newbie, hi-fi oldie, wanting *involving*... Last post on 11/1/11 at 4:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an headphone around $150 + amp/dac Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I was able to get these from a friend who used their employee discount, so ignore the price paid. I would consider myself a rookie when it comes to headphones, but not sound quality. My...
Best looking closed headphone on the market that acts just like a open headphone but brings the advantages of a closed headphone such as detail and imaging... It is combining both worlds and packs...
Hello people i guess its the time for me to review the WA5-LE and in this Part i will be covering the Takatsuki 300B Tubes. in Part 02 i will be covering the Elrog 300B (latest/newest...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Omega FE-321 (Spark) is a lively little wonder of an IEM with a sparkly, bright sound and tiny footprint. The current price is US$59. Below is the...
About Me: I prefer IEMs over full size because of portability and comfort, though I have owned and own a a couple full size cans. I am a 29 year old music lover, i listen to all genres from R&B to...
Giant Killerspost #1 of 59/6/11 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/6/11 at 10:37ampost #3 of 59/6/11 at 10:44am
Some cans will give you better sound, but the T50RP just sit there and shoots down the Flagsips from the bottom of the scale
Most "Giant killers" are able to double their price in SQ
If you want the best value in sound, go IEM
here's my calculations:
IEM = 2X the value of Fullsized
Giant Killer IEM = 4X the value of Fullsized
$350 IEM = Flagship Fullsized
But then, most high end IEM's are either Customs that range around $1000, or need a IEM only Amp/DAC
I do enjoy my Brainwavz M1 with my FiiO E5. I value about $100 for the package I got for $50. But paired to a Cowon S9/J3 with Jeteffect, blows things away.post #4 of 59/6/11 at 10:55ampost #5 of 59/6/11 at 11:53am
Superlux HD668b look pretty! I'm enjoying some Yamaha YH-100 ortho's right now They may be giant killers with mod, if you can get them for cheap lol. I almost sold mine for $125-, but i'm glad I didn't. They sound better, and are more comfy than my AKG K701. I've also compared them with the Grado 325, and like mine. I'm trying to get together with my friend who has Grado RS1i for a sound compare with my stock Yamaha. One of my other friends has HD600 and I want to compare them to those also. Even though not all orthos are good, I guess I got lucky with mine at the price I got them for. As far as killing giants, another thread I read (forget the name of it) was about the myth of expensive equipment, cables and etc. I think the best way to kill a giant would be to take your price range, $100-300 as opposed to $1000-1500, and pretend that you're buying the last headphones you'll ever buy. I do believe that some giants can't be killed yet, but you will find a great phone for your purpose that a giant cant touch. I love bass, and can't find many phones to compare with Sony's MDR-XB500 bass for the price Shure and Audio Technica have got my interest lately as well for the reviews on their medium range phones. Please forgive my vagueness and my inexperience here...
- Giant Killers
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 seconds ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 33 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton -... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 3 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by crabdog
- › MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III by Lurk650
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by slowpickr
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by jjacq
- › Soundaware Esther by WCDchee
- › Fischer Audio Omega Twin by crabdog
- › Little Dot MK II by Jay Sullivan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...