Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sidegrade/upgrade - need closed cans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sidegrade/upgrade - need closed cans

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I own a pair of Senn HD595 which are decent (i think the source is worse since i'm not using any dedicated amp).

I moved to a noisier office and I need more isolation. On top of this, the bass is utterly lacking. Even a cheap logitech gameset is better in the bass IMO.

Isolation doesnt need to be perfect

 

Important things that I cannot live without:

1) Confort. Every headpiece sooner or later hurts my ears, the later that happens the better. I can spend 200-300€ only for better confort

2) Deep but tight bass, i hate boomy bass both in speakers and headphones.

3) Lively midrange, like the best tube amps or a live event.

4) No HF peaks, both in the midrange shout (around 3k) and above 10k. I particularly hate the raising response of

some speakers. I prefer rolled off highs, if i cannot have correct one, smoothly decreasing.

 

I do not care for:

5) Total neutrality, as in sterile mastering devices

6) Soundstage, as long as the instruments sound like what they are (and violins not like flutes)

 

I prefer correct but slightly darker timbre with prat, like Naim amps and sources to give an idea. I hate thin, metallic sounds (digitalis at its worst). I like airy sound when it's NOT a result of emphasized HF.

 

Budget is anything from 200 to 1000 euros. If I cant try it in a store or fair, it has to be in the lowest pricerange and easy to resell.

I do NOT collect headphones nor plan to, one size-fit-all is what i'm looking for here.

 

Some options that could fit my bill, til next future upgrade (yes, they are from different priceranges):

-Denon D7000

-Ultrasone Edition 8

-Ultrasone HFI 680

-Fostex T50RP

-Sennheiser HD800 (i'm afraid that the treeble could be too strong)

-JVC DX1000

 

A suitable amp in the 400-800€ range will be matched later, which i prefer to be solid state (so the lush midrange better be an headphone characteristic).

post #2 of 12

HD800 is an opened can ;)

 

Denons do not isolate sound that well, but its still a closed can... So I'm not sure would it be enough for your noisy work environment. The comfort, (judged by the D2000) is top notch however.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

HD800 is an opened can ;)


 

Yeah, I won't get them, but still curious to audition.

 

I'm open to more suggestions, although atm the Denon is on top of the list, esp since i have found a decent price from amazon.uk.

In a couple weeks there is an important audio-video fair here and I'll try to listen to as many headphones I can :)

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

After further reading, i've narrowed my choice at one of the following (in this order):

 

-Denon D7000

-Ultrasone Edition 8

-JVC DX1000

 

Which i'll try to audition next week, if present at the TAV (http://www.topaudio.it/).

 

Between the Denon and JVC, my tastes are more in line with the former.

What i'm lacking is comparison of the Ultrasone to either of the two, i'll dig more.

post #5 of 12

Heya,

 

I think the D7000 will do it for you. The ED8 is simply not worth it's price tag according to some more honest reviews.

 

Very best,

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

I think the D7000 will do it for you. The ED8 is simply not worth it's price tag according to some more honest reviews.

 

Very best,


"Honest reviews" like...? Have you owned them and are of the same opinion? Also, one could argue that no flagship is "worth it" due to the decreasing return on investment as you move up a product line.

OP, if you're looking for something colored and fun for hip-hop or basic electronic go with the D7000. However, do note that the bass is more boomy than tight. (comparatively speaking) The Edition 8 is a better all-around performer whos value lies in its versatility. The bass isn't as strong as the D7000, but it's tighter and better placed. The Ed8 wins the imaging game hands-down.

I've never tried the DX1000 and can't comment on them. Beautiful headphone, though.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post



"Honest reviews" like...?


Reviews from users who are not affiliated with a corp/network which has Ultrasone as a product or sponsor, or some kind of affiliation that would give an unavoidable bias.

 

Very best,

 

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post
OP, if you're looking for something colored and fun for hip-hop or basic electronic go with the D7000. However, do note that the bass is more boomy than tight. (comparatively speaking) The Edition 8 is a better all-around performer whos value lies in its versatility. The bass isn't as strong as the D7000, but it's tighter and better placed. The Ed8 wins the imaging game hands-down.

I've never tried the DX1000 and can't comment on them. Beautiful headphone, though.


As I said in the first post, I'm looking for a well-round performer, without harsh highs and powerful but not boomy bass, not ruler flat but not too bumpy either. I will use a solid state amp (probably german or british made since i'm in EU and i usually like their sound signature -atm the Violectric VA100 is in top of the list), with a good damping factor and not boomed midbass.

Versatility, yes, is what i want, but I dont need clinical accouracy, as i'm not monitoring and I also find modern recordings and hifi equipment too sterile, thin and metallic. Oh, and i want dynamics.

 

BTW are you sure you listened to the D7000 and not the D5000? the defects you are pointing to it, seem to be D5000 faults that they say have been corrected in the D7000. If not, with which amp did you audition the D7000?

 

Also please note that i will NOT use any equalization.

 

post #9 of 12

If you want to go cheaper, the KRK KNS 8400 seems to have exactly the qualities you are looking for. It is a neutral can with a slightly dark edge. As a result, the treble is never fatiguing while the whole spectrum remains very clear. Their isolation is decent and their comfort is very good due to the memory foam. You should audition them, you might find that they satisfy your needs and you won't have to spend the huge bucks on one of the cans you mentioned.

 

If you would prefer to go more expensive though, you might want to consider the Sony MDR-Z1000. It is the flagship Sony closed can at the moment and so far, the reviews seem to point to it being an extremely good all-round performer. I have never heard it personally.

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

If you want to go cheaper, the KRK KNS 8400 seems to have exactly the qualities you are looking for. It is a neutral can with a slightly dark edge. As a result, the treble is never fatiguing while the whole spectrum remains very clear. Their isolation is decent and their comfort is very good due to the memory foam. You should audition them, you might find that they satisfy your needs and you won't have to spend the huge bucks on one of the cans you mentioned.

 

If you would prefer to go more expensive though, you might want to consider the Sony MDR-Z1000. It is the flagship Sony closed can at the moment and so far, the reviews seem to point to it being an extremely good all-round performer. I have never heard it personally.

 

I heard a pair of KRK monitor speakers some time ago and I didnt like them at all (I preferred and bought Tannoys), but I have heard good things about the brand in general so they maybe worth a listening.


I kept my Senn 595 for 5 years so I dont mind spending a bit more on a flaship model that is going to last.

I found out the Ultrasone distributor is just 30km away so I should be able to audition some of their models to get an idea of their sound (and eventually settle on the HFI 680 who knows?).

A few visits to shops is also de rigoeur before or after the audio fair. Then i'll update this thread.

 

I also have to say that best prices that I have found are of 750€ for the D700 vs 1200€ for the edition 8 in the cheapest finish, which still goes over my budget and I wouldnt buy at closed ears for sure. But I found two comparison threads that favour the Ultrasones, more on the lines of Curly (I didnt mean to be harsh on you).

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post


Reviews from users who are not affiliated with a corp/network which has Ultrasone as a product or sponsor, or some kind of affiliation that would give an unavoidable bias.

 

Very best,

 


I was inquiring as to what specific reviews you were referring to.  A review that has essentially been paid for is hardly a "review" now is it? ;)

 

For numerous reasons, there have been some very off-base negative impressions posted about the Edition 8 and drawing attention to them is counterproductive.  Thus far, all that I've seen have been poorly written and hardly make a case as to why the author felt that the sound quality wasn't up to par.  For me, they were a headphone that came as a revelation... one that concluded a multiple year search.  Before owning it, I had a very poor opinion of Ultrasone's products that was based on the previous offerings I owned.  I'm by no means an "Ultrasone fan" (no offense to anyone who is) and the creation of the Edition 8 may have very well been purely dumb luck on the part of their engineering staff, but the end result is absolutely one of the very best headphones ever made.  For those of us that require closed-backs they're irreplaceable.  It's regrettable that the premium cup finishes weren't offered as an option because they unnecessarily drive up the price tag thereby decreasing perceived value, but for those who value sound fidelity they're certainly worth the investment.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post

Quote:


As I said in the first post, I'm looking for a well-round performer, without harsh highs and powerful but not boomy bass, not ruler flat but not too bumpy either. I will use a solid state amp (probably german or british made since i'm in EU and i usually like their sound signature -atm the Violectric VA100 is in top of the list), with a good damping factor and not boomed midbass.

Versatility, yes, is what i want, but I dont need clinical accouracy, as i'm not monitoring and I also find modern recordings and hifi equipment too sterile, thin and metallic. Oh, and i want dynamics.

 

BTW are you sure you listened to the D7000 and not the D5000? the defects you are pointing to it, seem to be D5000 faults that they say have been corrected in the D7000. If not, with which amp did you audition the D7000?

 

Also please note that i will NOT use any equalization.

 


I made several allusions to your original post but apologize as I failed to make them clear.  Waking up early for work after a night of drinking does me absolutely no favors.  Oh Head-Fi... I just can't quit you! ;)

 

At any rate, I absolutely think the Edition 8 would be a great fit to your needs.  Versatility: check.  Dynamics: check.  Clinical accuracy: depends on the equipment chain.  What I've come to realize is that the Edition 8, while driven easily by amp, is very revealing of the individual components used.  In other words, if you're using a smoother amp the overall signature will sound as such.  If you're a detail-hound, like me, then an articulate amp assures that no stone is left unturned.  This attribute was made very apparent when I was A-Bing my PPAv2 with a newly purchased Meier Concerto in-home.  Where our tastes deviate is that I greatly preferred the former whereas I'm guessing you'd be elated with the latter.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and most would, and have, found the Concerto-Ed8 combination absolutely stunning.

 

I have heard the D2000 and D7000.  I have never had the opportunity to hear the D5000.  I demoed the D7000 on a Woo Audio 6.  I have seen comments stating good things about the pairing and I'd have to agree, but I much prefer the more neutral signature of my current rig. (minus the Palladium Edition 8 that I'm waiting on... my Ruthenium sold far too quickly!)  I qualified the "boomy" bass comment with the term "comparatively" as it's a far cry from something like, say, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro.  It is, however, noticeably accentuated and decays far slower than something like the Edition 8 that exhibits transient speed that is among the elite.  From what I've heard, the D7000 does nothing bad and actually provides a signature that's preferable with specific content, but the Edition 8 is simply on another level when it comes to versatility.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post

But I found two comparison threads that favour the Ultrasones, more on the lines of Curly (I didnt mean to be harsh on you).


You were?  No worries, mate.  I perceived no harshness in your response and wish you the best with whatever you choose. beerchug.gif

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Long time passed and budget shrank a bit, and I found a pair of W1000X for a good price, so I'm gonna start my adventure in closed cans with these.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sidegrade/upgrade - need closed cans