or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro - Page 154

post #2296 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

The signature pros were intended to be the next step up from the edition 8. The "carbon" edition looks like they just changed the cosmetic appearance of the unit. 

The Ultrasone Edition 8 and Signature Pros really came from a headphone era when a "high end" closed headphone didn't exist. The last few years of new headphones kind of make them obsolete at their price point. There's a lot of competition that outdoes them, so if you want an "upgrade" options do exist now.


I don't agree that the sigpros were intended to be an upgrade. The Edition series were meant for a different audience than the sigpros. The Ed 8 is made for more of an audiophile sound. I think the sigpros are more balanced but don't have the clarity, soundstage or instrunmsnt separation. I love them both and go back and forth on which I prefer, My ed8 needs a new plug put on the cable though and I haven't been able to find anyone local to do it😁 I think if push cam to shove I would take the ed8 due to comfort and sound but the sigpros seems indistructable and is more portable and easy with the single cable out.
post #2297 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

exactly how do you convert that?

Also I got my signature pro the other day, there is a big difference vs. my old Sony V700

so I wonder if we compares Signature Pro to Edition 8 carbon for e.g., what do we gain from  Edition 8?

Moon Audio converted them to balanced operation. They did a terrific job--they look like they came from the factory this way.
post #2298 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

The signature pros were intended to be the next step up from the edition 8. The "carbon" edition looks like they just changed the cosmetic appearance of the unit. 

The Ultrasone Edition 8 and Signature Pros really came from a headphone era when a "high end" closed headphone didn't exist. The last few years of new headphones kind of make them obsolete at their price point. There's a lot of competition that outdoes them, so if you want an "upgrade" options do exist now.

Hi, elwappo99,

Just curious which closed headphone you feel "outdoes" the Signature Pro's (in terms of sound quality)?

I was looking to replace my Signature Pro's when I got the Ayre Codex because I wanted a closed headphone that could be used in balanced mode. I took the Signature Pro's with me and compared them in the same listening session to other closed, balanced phones. I did not find anything that I preferred to the Signature Pro's (of course they had an advantage in that I'm used to them).
post #2299 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude94941 View Post
 
 

Hi, elwappo99,

Just curious which closed headphone you feel "outdoes" the Signature Pro's (in terms of sound quality)?

I was looking to replace my Signature Pro's when I got the Ayre Codex because I wanted a closed headphone that could be used in balanced mode. I took the Signature Pro's with me and compared them in the same listening session to other closed, balanced phones. I did not find anything that I preferred to the Signature Pro's (of course they had an advantage in that I'm used to them).

 

Hey there Lat! 

 

Well the Sig pros and Edition 8 are from an interesting time. There were only a few "closed" headphones that were in the high end category. These being some of them along with the Denon D7000 line. The reason these were in a niche is that they were a bit more portable and created a decent seal. Since then there's a ton of new closed headphones, and even the CIEM market that has exploded. My UERM cost around $700, and tbh they sound miles ahead of the Sig pro. 

 

So it kind of depends if you want a closed/portable sound or a closed/home sound.

 

 

 

If you're looking for a headphone that seals and is portable, I think the Oppo PM3 is one of the top headphones you can get. Incredible sound and really great balanced response all the way through. If you're looking for something that isn't as portable, I really like Denon D7000 still or the Fostex THXX headphones as well are both terrific headphones. They both have a bit more of a fun "boost" on the bass, but don't sound as sloppy as the ultrasone sig pro. Although, to be fair, I think the Sig pro sounds a lot better and more refined than the Edition 8. The edition 8 is a small step ahead of their main line, and even the HFI-580 can match its SQ with some mild modding. 

 

Here's some other closed headphones that I either haven't heard, or heard and didn't like enough to reccomend:

 

LCD-XC

Ether

Beyer T5p

Oppo PM1/2

Audio Technica Woody line

 

 

What other headphones did you test? What didn't you like about them?


Edited by elwappo99 - 1/11/16 at 8:38pm
post #2300 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

 Although, to be fair, I think the Sig pro sounds a lot better and more refined than the Edition 8. The edition 8 is a small step ahead of their main line, and even the HFI-580 can match its SQ with some mild modding. 

 

I really don't understand how you can possibly state this. I know that the Sigpro crowd is vocal about how the compare to or top the Ed8, and i do like them both but the Sigpro was described to me originally as an extension of the Pro series and had many things in common with them. The Edition series is the "flagship" series. So this is the Sigpro thread so I don't expect much agreement but to put the Ed8 just above the HFI series is absurd. At one time they were considered the top closed headphone and I believe only topped by the W3000anv when it came around. The Fostex is not truly closed and although good has its SQ issues as well. 

 

I can understand you stating your opinion that you don't like the sound signature of a competing line with one of your favorite headphones but statements like that make me not trust what i read on head-fi.   

 

Like i said, i like them both and own them both. At meets when i have both next to each other, i have yet to have someone choose the Sigpro as superior to the Ed8 and in reality that surprised me because the Sigpro does provide a more balanced presentation. So there you go.


Edited by dallan - 1/11/16 at 10:02pm
post #2301 of 2341
^^^^ Having owned all the above for an extended period and having the Sig DJ also i have to strongly agree with Dallan. For me the Sig Pro is still my second favourite ever, and yes I do prefer it to the Ed8 but to say the edition is on par with the HFI-580 is criminal, I don't even think you can bring the old head fi 'to my ears' comment around because if so you need to get them looked at. The Ed8 was and is a legend, comparing it with the 580 imo is just wrong.
post #2302 of 2341

Bumped.


Edited by wolfz - 1/12/16 at 6:00pm
post #2303 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Hey there Lat! 

Well the Sig pros and Edition 8 are from an interesting time. There were only a few "closed" headphones that were in the high end category. These being some of them along with the Denon D7000 line. The reason these were in a niche is that they were a bit more portable and created a decent seal. Since then there's a ton of new closed headphones, and even the CIEM market that has exploded. My UERM cost around $700, and tbh they sound miles ahead of the Sig pro. 

So it kind of depends if you want a closed/portable sound or a closed/home sound.



If you're looking for a headphone that seals and is portable, I think the Oppo PM3 is one of the top headphones you can get. Incredible sound and really great balanced response all the way through. If you're looking for something that isn't as portable, I really like Denon D7000 still or the Fostex THXX headphones as well are both terrific headphones. They both have a bit more of a fun "boost" on the bass, but don't sound as sloppy as the ultrasone sig pro. Although, to be fair, I think the Sig pro sounds a lot better and more refined than the Edition 8. The edition 8 is a small step ahead of their main line, and even the HFI-580 can match its SQ with some mild modding. 

Here's some other closed headphones that I either haven't heard, or heard and didn't like enough to reccomend:

LCD-XC
Ether
Beyer T5p
Oppo PM1/2
Audio Technica Woody line


What other headphones did you test? What didn't you like about them?

Sorry to be slow to respond and am running out so my answer will be brief.

Everyone's preferences are different, but I owned the Fostex TH600 prior to purchasing the Sig Pro's. It's been a couple of years now, but at the time, I far preferred the Sig Pro's to the Fostex (which is why I made the change). Too much time has passed to go into specifics, but I will say for sure that I began listening through headphones a lot more once I had the Ultrasone's than I did the Fostex.

Re my recent comparison's: bear in mind that I WANTED to find a closed, balanced headphone that I preferred to the Ultrasone's as I had purchased a balanced amp.

I A/B'd using the same Simaudio DAC/Amp, and using the same 24/44 track. I compared the Sig Pro's to Alpha Primes, the Nighthawks, and to another phone that I'm not remembering now.

While there were obvious differences between all the phones, and I could find certain aspects of the other phones that I preferred to the Ultrasone's, the bottom line is that I didn't hear anything that I preferred overall to the Ultrasone's, so I ended up getting the Sig Pro's modified for balanced operation.

Edit: I realize that Nighthawks are not closed, but my main concern is leakage, and the Nighthawks seemed like the leakage was small enough for my usage scenarios.
Edited by Latitude94941 - 1/13/16 at 2:06pm
post #2304 of 2341

I agree with "elwappo 99" that the Sig Pro is the superior headphone ( by quite a margin ).

I have long time experience with both but don't know much about other closed cans.

The ED8 is a good headphone for portable players ( but who wants to pay that much.....).

Otherwise I would not recommend this phone to anybody.

I heard them with different amps and dac combinations. Finally I decided to part with 

Ultrasone's. The Beyer T1 is my end game. No Ultrasone I had ( also ED12 & Proline 2900 )

is getting close to this marvellous headphone ( same for HD800). Of course comparing open with closed is

not appropriate , apart from the Ed12 & Proline.

I had a number of other headphones and concluded that for far less money you can buy 

 better sound. I stick to my old statement that the Ultrasones are overpriced.

Maybe half of the normal retail can be justified :veryevil:.

 

The Australian Ultrasone dealer ( Addicted to Audio) reduced the Sig Pro to app. US$600.

Thats less than half the original price. But new pads are app $200.........:mad: .

post #2305 of 2341
I also prefer the Sig Pro to the Ed8. I had Ed8 for about 2 years and have now had Sig Pro for about 1 1/2 year. However the Ed8 was the more comfortable. Before that I've owned a markl modded D2000 that got sold due to leaking too much. I also owned the AT L3000 for several years but had to sell it to raise cash at a time of need, really loved it, probably the best closed I have heard (preferred it to Sony R10). All of them except R10 are/were balanced from a balanced amp and source
Edited by nc8000 - 1/13/16 at 8:00pm
post #2306 of 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
 

I agree with "elwappo 99" that the Sig Pro is the superior headphone ( by quite a margin ).

I have long time experience with both but don't know much about other closed cans.

The ED8 is a good headphone for portable players ( but who wants to pay that much.....).

Otherwise I would not recommend this phone to anybody.

I heard them with different amps and dac combinations. Finally I decided to part with 

Ultrasone's. The Beyer T1 is my end game. No Ultrasone I had ( also ED12 & Proline 2900 )

is getting close to this marvellous headphone ( same for HD800). Of course comparing open with closed is

not appropriate , apart from the Ed12 & Proline.

I had a number of other headphones and concluded that for far less money you can buy 

 better sound. I stick to my old statement that the Ultrasones are overpriced.

Maybe half of the normal retail can be justified :veryevil:.

 

The Australian Ultrasone dealer ( Addicted to Audio) reduced the Sig Pro to app. US$600.

Thats less than half the original price. But new pads are app $200.........:mad: .

 

One thing I think everyone can agree is Ultrasone's service sucks big time. The cost of replacement parts is absolutely astonishing! People complain with the HD650 pads at $50 a pair.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post

I also prefer the Sig Pro to the Ed8. I had Ed8 for about 2 years and have now had Sig Pro for about 1 1/2 year. However the Ed8 was the more comfortable. Before that I've owned a markl modded D2000 that got sold due to leaking too much. I also owned the AT L3000 for several years but had to sell it to raise cash at a time of need, really loved it, probably the best closed I have heard (preferred it to Sony R10). All of them except R10 are/were balanced from a balanced amp and source

 

 

I got to hear a pair of ATL3000 once. Wow, were they something special Really nice headphones. 

post #2307 of 2341

Looks like that people have totally different experience with the Ultrasone service.

Maybe I was lucky to get very good service. Probably because Ultrasone knew that

I bought four expensive headphones........

The Proline 2900 had a driver issue and they gave me a brand new headphone and

that was out of the warranty term.

The ED12 pads were faulty and I tried to change them myself. Not aware that this was

a special procedure. I damaged the Mu shield and had to post the headphone to Germany.

They didn't charge anything.  Correspondence was great and delivery as fast as possible.

A strange design anyway. The pads have an adhesive tape ( difficult to remove when changing pads).

The Sig Pro is different. No problems with pads falling out because the glue failed......as with the ED8.

 

Those years with Ultrasone cans cost me a lot of money. Always very difficult to sell and

bad resale value!  The ED8 lost app. 60% of the original price. Took me over a year to get rid of it.

On the other hand I sold a HD800 and got lots of offers in less than a day ( and a good price ).

Still have a leather ED8 storage box nobody wants. Some dealers sell that thing for a few hundred bugs.

Lucky I got it cheap with the ED8 as a deal.  The T1 in contrast comes with a nice alu storage case.

This for quite a bit less money.

 

My journey with the Ultrasones were for a special reason. I wanted a headphone with an EMF reduction

shield. Also because of the driver position you can listen a bit louder without stressing the ears out....

The EMF issue is very controversial.  I had my times were I didnt care about it and bought other headphones.

Then I did more and more research and thought Ultrasones approach makes sense and back to them.

Finally I wanted better sound again and ordered a T1. I was going to listen with low volume that means less EMF.

Because of the high detail retrieval of the T1 I assumed that would be a good solution. That was correct. Surprise was that the T1

has one of the lowest EMF emission I measured even with higher volume (the HD800 has substantially more).

I contacted Beyer to find out why.  It has to do with the design.  Ultrasones are still much lower.


Edited by wolfz - 1/13/16 at 9:39pm
post #2308 of 2341

Has anybody found replacement pads that fit inside the baffle?

*edit* tried the brainwavz hybrid pads... sound OK but not really recommended, a little too thick scoops the mids out a bit.


Edited by Raketen - 3/27/16 at 4:03pm
post #2309 of 2341

Does Sig pro and Sig DJ got the same housing? if yes then I can change my Sig DJ to Sig pro by changing the drivers and the plates?

Thanx

post #2310 of 2341

Following on from customNuts, I wanted to use the balanced output from my Centrance A1 Glove and AK120 titan. The balanced output has more power and much better soundstage and definition than the standard output. I've been using the stock cable and I also sometimes use the sig pros with my home kit and sometimes with a phone or laptop.Like others here I like single sided cable and wanted to keep that if possible. So the spec became:

  1. balanced 
  2. removable cable
  3. single sided
  4. termination suitable for Glove

 

I decided to document the process partly out of interest, partly to share, but mostly to enable me to rebuild as was if I screwed up!

 

Step by step with photos

remove pads

 

unscrew plates

The small PCB is on the left hand earphone and simply connects both speakers to the external cable socket

 

As the cable from the right is already routed to the left side I could see no strong reason not maintain a single sided cable.

 

I removed the pcb

and removed the speaker connections from it leaving all four bare cables on the left hand side

 

As the speaker connection cables are very thin I wired small lengths of wires to a four pole 3.5mm socket

and used heat shrink instead of the original sleeve to make refitting easier

I had to slightly enlarge the hole and then the new socket fitted snuggly in

So I just had to solder the speaker connections to the socket and reassemble

I then assembled a test cable, and here's the result

 

The sound is significantly better than the stock cable out of the unbalanced amp

 

I'm sure that you can get better quality by taking high quality cables directly from each ear, but I'm more than happy with the results I've achieved with this approach.


Edited by dc-k - 3/13/16 at 1:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro