Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro - Page 120

post #1786 of 2065

Did Anyone try The Signature pro on a very good upstream gear ? 

 

 

I listen my SP right now on my new Combo built especially for HD800 : Rega DAC + MG head tube amp and I'm really stunned by the result . :eek: .  my SP upgraded to an unbelievable level . 

 

I never tried before because the  MG head has a bit too much power for Sig pro and a slightly high headphone output impedance ( around 10 Ohms) so I thought I coudn't have any good results. OMFG i was wrong !!  I've just turn down volume on PC in order to obtain comfortable level for my ears and ..... I've never been more impressed by my SP.

 

I can't believe my ears  :basshead:

post #1787 of 2065

Just wanted to bump in again with a request for anyone that has suggestions for general light cleaning of the leather headband and earpads. They seem to drink in my headjuices, and if you leave them facedown on a piece of paper overnight, you'll see rings of it on the paper in the morning.  There's probably a more discreet way of describing this, but there you go.

post #1788 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

Did Anyone try The Signature pro on a very good upstream gear ? 

 

 

I listen my SP right now on my new Combo built especially for HD800 : Rega DAC + MG head tube amp and I'm really stunned by the result . :eek: .  my SP upgraded to an unbelievable level . 

 

I never tried before because the  MG head has a bit too much power for Sig pro and a slightly high headphone output impedance ( around 10 Ohms) so I thought I coudn't have any good results. OMFG i was wrong !!  I've just turn down volume on PC in order to obtain comfortable level for my ears and ..... I've never been more impressed by my SP.

 

I can't believe my ears  :basshead:

 

 

my rp010 is incredible with signature pro.  my gsx mk2 also very nice with signature dj. 

post #1789 of 2065

Upstream gear..........?  Where does it start?

 

I have the Sig Pro with Nuforces flagship DAC9 and the magnificent headphone amp Corda Classic from Jan Meier.

 

The amp has two crossfeed selections.  The somewhat "closed in sound" of the Sig Pro opens up a bit with such an

 

filter applied. Overall experience is stunning.  Anyway as much as I like this Ultrasone phone ( probably the only one from

 

Ultrasone I like  -- my Edition8 was a sort of a "disaster" and the Pro 2500 too..........).    I prefer an open system.    I might sell the

 

Sig Pro and go back to the good old Sennheiser HD650.  First I will try the new Phillips Fidelio L2 ( promising review in Headfonia).

 

It has a revolutionary new driver.  

 

Cheers

post #1790 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
 

Upstream gear..........?  Where does it start?

 

I meant DAC + AMP ;) . Thks for your impressions.  This Ultrasone Signature is definitely sensitive to the gear and can sound quite bad from inappropriate source. 

post #1791 of 2065
I did not know that the Sig pro is amp picky. I had this problem with the Edition8.

I heard the Sig only with the Corda Classic amp and the inbuild amp in the Nuforce DAC9. Even straight out of a Macbook Pro it sounds fine.

The amp in the DAC9 is the same as the Icon HDP from Nuforce but sounds more refined because of a better

power supply. It goes really well with the Sig but not as good as the Corda Classic.

My question about "upstream gear" : did you mean something like the Ayre dac , Naim , Invicta and Zana Deux amp , Beta22 etc.......

or more like the kind of Burson , Schiit, Rega, Audiolab..........A sort of a $3000 combo or more like the gear above $5000 ?

My DAC9 and the Corda are around the $2000 mark. Probably not upstream....? More mediocre I think.

Cheers
post #1792 of 2065

oh .. Maybe i don' use the good word :o . My english is not my native language and it's far from perfect. Upstream gear only means "before headphones gear" in my mind ;)

 

I don't talk about the most Hi-end gear but only average good home rig like yours or mine.   

 

My point is Sig pro/DJ are often adviced as Mobile headphones.. easy to drive blablabla even from phones or DAP but IME , the Signature pro is VERY amp/source dependent and scales a lot with better gear and not so easy ti drive at its best.

 

I would want only if I was the only one who thinks that :)

post #1793 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

My point is Sig pro/DJ are often adviced as Mobile headphones.. easy to drive blablabla even from phones or DAP but IME , the Signature pro is VERY amp/source dependent and scales a lot with better gear and not so easy ti drive at its best.

 

 

 

Quite agree, mine are great out of the DX-100 but not so hot from the galaxy s4

post #1794 of 2065

I understand.   Sig Pro is not amp picky.  Better dac / amp = beter sound.......

That was different with the Edition8.  I tried several amps / dacs with that one and was never satisfied.

The sound was sometimes unbearable ( sibilant /  aggressive highs....).

Other people complained about this too. 

 

I just wondering is there anybody around here who purchased the Sig Pro because of the MU shield ? 

It works very well reducing EMF emission. I know this is a controversial subject.....safe or not safe.

For myself it was the main reason to buy Ultrasone products.  For sound quality only I would look somewhere else

because there are cheaper headphones with equal or even better sound. Anyway I think that I'm a bit to " paranoid "

regarding the EMF emission.  This means that I will probably get a "normal" phone as said before ( HD 650 and Philips- I prefer

the open phones ). Just for comparison purpose I bought several headphones in the last few years mostly to compare them with the Edition8. They cost only half or less of the ED8 ( $ 1500 ) and I preferred every one over the ED8.

For the Sig Pro I had only a Sennheiser HD600 here to compare. The Sig Pro has a better bass and a bit more detail.

Otherwise the "open" sound of the HD600 was more pleasant to me. With more bass I could happily live with the HD600.

 

I agree with other people here on Head-Fi...........Ultrasones are over priced.

 

 

 

,

.

post #1795 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
 

 

I agree with other people here on Head-Fi...........Ultrasones are over priced.

 

 

:deadhorse: 

 

 

 

Yeah . Even Ultrasone fans like me recognize that Ultrasone price policy or even all Brand policy is absurd. I think a good price for Ultrasone Signature pro is near to 600€ in EU  or  7/800$ in US.

 

That said, comparing Signature pro to HD600 is IME very fair . I owned and liked a lot an old HD580 and I consider these headphones as sidegrades. Very different but sidegrades.  yes HD600 has a mid-fi price but Hi-end sound too IMO.  Still In my experience , SQ is not always correlated to the price . My opininon is that the Sig pro pricce is not so overvalued  ( far less than ed8 for example .. i'm not fan of ed8 sound )  in regard to what it offers.

 

I understand you can find open sound more enjoyable but what offers the Sig pro is a unique compromise between , detail , energy, fastness, balanced sound  and isolation and toughness for on the go use AND ease to drive. :beerchug:

 

I haven't any opinion about ULE technology. 

 

 

For Sig pro appropriate amp: I think the point is to have the lowest impedance headphone output . If not, The Sig pro sounds a lot more muddy


Edited by Sorrodje - 12/11/13 at 12:32am
post #1796 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
 

I just wondering is there anybody around here who purchased the Sig Pro because of the MU shield ? 

It works very well reducing EMF emission. I know this is a controversial subject.....safe or not safe.

For myself it was the main reason to buy Ultrasone products.  For sound quality only I would look somewhere else

When you say it works very well in reducing EMF, are you saying you have seen measurements of the Sig Pro's EMF vs other comparable headphones?

post #1797 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

 

:deadhorse:

 

 

 

Yeah . Even Ultrasone fans like me recognize that Ultrasone price policy or even all Brand policy is absurd. I think a good price for Ultrasone Signature pro is near to 600€ in EU  or  7/800$ in US.

 

Of course you're right, but I disagree with you.

 

You are right, because it is your opinion and opinions are just that; your perspective based on your values/experiences etc.  However, we should form our opinions based on reasonable context or they just become throw away lines.

 

Ultrasones are overpriced?  What all of them?  In comparison to what?

 

Lets look at the Signature Pro.  I have owned several $1000 plus headphones and in my opinion the Ultrasone Sig Pro compares very favourably in regards to sound quality against all of them.  Now individual sound signature preference aside (lets face it if a person finds a T1 or HD800 too sibilant then for them, they are overpriced) the Sig Pro accomplishes this with the added bonus of delivering superior sound isolation.  So to me, the Sig Pro is not overpriced against similar priced headphones.

 

Now comparing the Sig Pro to excellent mid fi priced headphones (HD600 or K/Q701 again regardless of sound signature preference) the Sig Pro comes across as over priced in my opinion.  This is because none of the $1000 plus headphones compare favourably against great performing mid fi priced headphones, welcome to diminishing returns.  Their subjective performance increases are small in comparison to the price increase.

 

Now if someone doesn't like the sound signature of Sig Pro, then clearly they will be perceived as overpriced.  If like me you find the Sig Pro signature just about perfect and with very competitive sound quality against the other $1000 plus headphones, then they are not overpriced.  If you compare the Sig Pro to K701 or HD600 or P7 or whatever else you happen to think is great bang for your buck, then I have no doubt that the Sig Pro is overpriced to you, as will the T1, LCD2, HD800, W3000ATH etc.

 

Value is subjective and always needs to be judged in context.  High priced items will inevitably be judged more harshly.

 

I know there will be responses that focus around me justifying the price of my Sig Pro, but let me assure you  -   your opinion in regards to my value assessment, is totally irrelevant.  As a generalization $1000 plus headphones are not good value in regards to $300-$500 headphones IMO, but I can afford them and the enjoyment I get from them is worth it to me.  And I find the Sig Pro good value in comparison to other $1000 headphones.

post #1798 of 2065

Kernmac Indeed I think we've strictly the same opinion .  Maybe My english is not good enough and I can't explain my point of view to make it understandable. 

 

What I say is:

 

- Many Ultrasone are  overpriced regarding to their SQ . Luxury materials , Summit Fi Marketing and so on . 

 

- SP in IMO/IME is a bit overpriced too regarding to its SQ but not so much comparing to what I currently own, owned  or tried ( LCD2 , T1, HD800, W3000, Stax SR303 , TH900 , K1000 , HD580/650 , K5/701, DT880/990, HE-400, Grado RS2 ) .  If I have to give a good price for the Signature pro it should be around 600€ . Why ? beacause for example I tried a Beyerdynamic T1 which can be found easily at 7/800€ and offers (Still IMO) better overall SQ although I prefer my beloved Sig pro ;) . 

 

- In term of Overall combination of usefullness & Sound quality  the SP definitely worthes its price and if I had to lose or destroy mine I would spend immediately the euros to purchase a new one. 

 

- I completely agree with the diminishing return policy. For me, considering that HD600 and Sig pro are in the same league is a compliment for the Ultrasone ) . I NEVER judge one headphone by its price. never. 

 

 

Hope my point is clear now ? :o 


Edited by Sorrodje - 12/11/13 at 10:22am
post #1799 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglunch View Post
 

Just wanted to bump in again with a request for anyone that has suggestions for general light cleaning of the leather headband and earpads. They seem to drink in my headjuices, and if you leave them facedown on a piece of paper overnight, you'll see rings of it on the paper in the morning.  There's probably a more discreet way of describing this, but there you go.

First off headjuices doesn't sound to appealing, so lets just stick with the word sweat, or even perspiration.

 

I do not experience the same level of sweating that you obviously are, we are all different and live in different climates, air conditioning etc.

 

Leather is porous and by design allows perspiration to disperse.  Your level of perspiration would suggest that you need to take listening breaks or invest in a cooling system.

 

However your request was for some suggestions regarding light cleaning of the leather.  Simply purchase any recognized commercial leather conditioning cream from any leather product store (coats, bags even shoe stores should have something suitable).  Do not wet the leather and then dry it artificially using a heat source, let it dry naturally by evaporation.

Leather will last a very long time if it is kept supple and is not forced to dry out and crack and then break down.  Now the foam padding is a different aspect and constant heavy sweating will likely eventually break the foam down.  Not much you can do there, except stop sweating.


Edited by Kernmac - 12/11/13 at 3:58am
post #1800 of 2065
Kernmac: I was exaggerating for levity. Unclench. Thanks for addressing the question. Are you sure the conditioners/cleaners you'd use for purses and shoes are designed to be pressed against your face? They seem well suited towards facing outward towards the world, but I haven't heard about people using them for skin contact things.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro