Hey guys, im looking for some Audiophile grade headphones with a price range of about 250 USD. I dont really like Grado's due to the uncomfort i get when wearing them, and i was hoping you guys could help me. I like headphones which are great with techno and dubstep, plus pop. Something also, that can occasionly be worn outside when im walking to school and stuff. I had a look at the Sennheiser 595's and they seemed pretty good, but im hoping maybe you guys at Head-Fi can help me pick out something seeing as im a headphone noob and dont know many good headphones! Thanks!
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- productSennheiser CX 400-II Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Blacktagged by System, 9/6/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cans that have a BEATS sound but are better for ~$150? Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones for Rush? Last post on 10/12/11 at 3:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Buying first "Audiophile" headphones. Last post on 9/22/11 at 6:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone Recommendation (Rock,Metal, <$300) Last post on 9/12/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
Looking for some good audiophile headphones?post #1 of 219/5/11 at 11:45pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 219/5/11 at 11:48pmThread Starterpost #3 of 219/5/11 at 11:50pm
Which Grados did you try? G-cush pads make Grados very comfortable to me and I wear glasses. I would say for $250 the SR225i + G-cush pads. That's budget right there. But if you're absolutely not interested in a Grado, off to other headphones it is!
So basically you need something that isolates you from noise (and doesn't share the music with others), capable of low deep wonderful bass, has good mids, probably smoothed out highs I suppose; since you didn't say your preference on that.
Right away, I'm thinking HFI 580 for the cost. Otherwise, on to the Denon D2000 (you can find these used in your budget, and sometimes new well under budget if you just search around, I recently got them for $219 new, shipped, from buy.com on a special). Other options are the DT770 premium 32ohm, Fischer Audio FA-003. At least for closed headphones.
Very best,post #4 of 219/5/11 at 11:54pmThread Starter
Well, to be honest, i love the Grado's awesome retro look, and ill look into these cusions, there the only reason i despise Grados! But anyhow, what about some openback headphones. I mean, i have in ear Sennhieser CX400II's for general walking and stuff like that, but ide like something that sounds incredibly realistic. Something with not to much overpowering bass, (i hate my beats due to this) yet something that will handle techno and dubstep fine, yet being able to play Pop and maybe Classical without any distortion. But what do you think of some Sennheisers? Like the 500x series?
post #5 of 219/5/11 at 11:57pmThread Starter
Oh and one more thing, i live in Australia, so everything is greatly overpriced when it comes to brands like Grado and Audio-Technica. Akg and Sennheiser arnt bad, but still horribly priced, so things like the Grado SR225I which here are 325USD are defs out of the question.post #6 of 219/5/11 at 11:59pmThread Starterpost #7 of 219/6/11 at 12:01amQuote:Originally Posted by mrlolftw
Oh and one more thing, i live in Australia, so everything is greatly overpriced when it comes to brands like Grado and Audio-Technica. Akg and Sennheiser arnt bad, but still horribly priced, so things like the Grado SR225I which here are 325USD are defs out of the question.
Are you in Melbourne?
DJ Warehouse or Addictedtoaudio can help you with a Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro
$249AUD from AddictedtoAudio. Excellent price.
Edited by Gwarmi - 9/23/11 at 5:34ampost #8 of 219/6/11 at 12:04am
Well, you could certainly look into something like the HD595 or HD598. You could also look at the AKG K240/MKII. Also the Beyer DT880/990. Ultrasone HFI 2400. Try some used stuff from the classifieds.
Very best,post #9 of 219/6/11 at 12:09amThread Starter
Which K240's? theres 2 of them, the 1st one which is a bargain at 95USD and the MKII at 215USD? and the Ultrasone HFI-2400 are 280USD. But lets try this, if i gave YOU 300 USD, which headphones would YOU buy?post #10 of 219/6/11 at 12:11ampost #11 of 219/6/11 at 12:20am
No bass. Bleh.Quote:Which K240's? theres 2 of them, the 1st one which is a bargain at 95USD and the MKII at 215USD? and the Ultrasone HFI-2400 are 280USD. But lets try this, if i gave YOU 300 USD, which headphones would YOU buy?
I'd try and get the Denon D2000's for closed (used/deal), or DT770 premium 32ohm for closed, or HFI 580 for closed. Probably in that order based on sound & comfort and price. I wouldn't get an open headphone for walking around and being portable with. I'd only use open for at home. But that's just me. I don't mind listening to open air in the car or when by myself outside, but when walking amongst other people, it's not nice blasting whatever you hear to everyone as you walk by. I would feel like it's the 80's and I had a stereo with a bad dubbed cassette blaring off my shoulder.
Very best,post #12 of 219/6/11 at 12:23amThread Starter
ARGH! this is impossible. I love the sound and looks of Grado's and yet theyre all so expensive! And the Sennheisers look way to cheap! (they look like my grandpas $11 chinese wireless headphones -.-) The AKG's are beautiful but people say they need a lot of power to drive them, and all the Audio-Technica's and Beyerdynamics you guys suggested are from america and will take like 3 weeks to get here, and i need them within a week max! Ah well. I found a pair of AKG K702's for 307 USD so i shall try to convince dad to get them. What do you guys think?post #13 of 219/6/11 at 12:29amThread Starterpost #14 of 219/6/11 at 12:30am$300? I'd pick up a Sennheiser HD-600, preferably used. I think they're better than anything else mentioned in this thread.
Run it off an old receiver from a garage sale or thrift shop. You can worry about the amp later, though give some thought to building an amp. There are some nice kits and projects out there. Don't worry if you haven't built before - everyone else started out not having built an amp, too. You can do it.
Edited by Uncle Erik - 9/6/11 at 12:32ampost #15 of 219/6/11 at 12:33amQuote:
Plan on buying an amp that is decently powerful? K702.
No amp? K240 MKII.
- Looking for some good audiophile headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 30 seconds ago
- › DSD256 Downsampling issues! 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Football (Soccer) Fans Gather 4 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...