Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread - Page 22

post #316 of 664

Nice! Very nice.

post #317 of 664

I am very tempted by this kit right now.

post #318 of 664
looks so much better in black
nice work tomb

i know its unlikely, but is there a chance of buying just a set of black endplates?
Edited by DingoSmuggler - 1/25/13 at 10:17pm
post #319 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post

I am very tempted by this kit right now.

+10 biggrin.gif

 

/U.

post #320 of 664
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoSmuggler View Post

looks so much better in black
nice work tomb

i know its unlikely, but is there a chance of buying just a set of black endplates?

Not right now.  If I sell the ones in stock now and then order a brand new production run, that might be possible.  I can order some extra endplates at that time.

post #321 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Not right now.  If I sell the ones in stock now and then order a brand new production run, that might be possible.  I can order some extra endplates at that time.

cheers

post #322 of 664
Thread Starter 

I've included a detail for the Zener Diode Tweak on the Torpedo website under "Tweaks:"

TorpedoZenerTweak.gif
This is now standard on the BOM and in the kits, as is the Hammond choke instead of R2.  Note that as Dsavitsk has mentioned, the Zener Tweak also requires R4 and R5 to be ~400R.


Edited by tomb - 1/27/13 at 1:52pm
post #323 of 664

I don't browse these forums enough , I miss seeing all this really cool stuff. Well done Tom and Doug - the amp looks great ..dB

post #324 of 664

would the torpedo drive a lcd-2 properly?

post #325 of 664

Tomb and Dsavitsk could answer better.

 

BUT it should drive the LCDs really well!

post #326 of 664

I'm not sure, but it didn't seem like my brother's beta Torpedo drove them very well.
 

post #327 of 664
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post

I'm not sure, but it didn't seem like my brother's beta Torpedo drove them very well.
 

Yeah, I saw the question and didn't want to answer it directly having no LCD-2's myself, but since you did ... wink.gif  The current Torpedo with a choke and Zener mod is much improved, otherwise I wouldn't have thought it worth the huge investment to anodize, laser-etch, and start offering full kits.  Paired with my pupDAC and HF-2's (sometimes HF-1's), it's all I listen to.

 

That said, I agree that perhaps the circuit may not be ideal for orthos.

post #328 of 664

My mistake, I figured the huge current of the torpedo would be great for their low impedance and high demand.

 

Sorry! I really need to stick to things I know!

post #329 of 664
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

My mistake, I figured the huge current of the torpedo would be great for their low impedance and high demand.

 

Sorry! I really need to stick to things I know!

Well, I'm basing that on listening to my K701's.  They come about as close to ortho power requirements as any pair of dynamic phones could.  I haven't listened with the Zener mod, though - maybe that changed things.  I'll try tonight and let you all know. smily_headphones1.gif

 

The CanLanta Meet in May should answer a lot of this, too, but May is still a long time away.wink.gif

post #330 of 664

My brother's amp does handle his T50RPs just fine, as well as the Fischer Audio FA2? or 3? Can't remember which ones he has. As well as AKG K501s.

 

That said, this version may do better, sorry haven't been paying attention to what you and Doug have done with it. It's a nice amp!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread